As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

(June 11th, 2013, 16:10)SevenSpirits Wrote: Increasing tech costs and reducing inflation? I don't understand the point.

It's decreasing tech costs relative to the RBMOd status quo (still above base BtS costs, though).

Yeah, the tech costs for most of the Ren era stuff is actually at 200% of base BtS values, so these changes would lower the tech costs significantly for that era. Any inflation change (any decrease, rather) always benefits that player with the highest costs, which has a correlation with the game leader (most cities, most pop, most units etc) with obvious point that it is a nerf to ORG.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(June 11th, 2013, 17:37)Krill Wrote: Any inflation change (any decrease, rather) always benefits that player with the highest costs, which has a correlation with the game leader (most cities, most pop, most units etc) with obvious point that it is a nerf to ORG.

So the idea is to make smaller empires worse at research?

Yeah, that's the main issue, which is why I'm hesitant to actually implement it. I think the increased tech costs and the increased hammer potential of larger civs is enough to limit the effectiveness of smaller tech focussed empires to a reasonable level. But if, as T-hawk says, the late game leader couldn't win the game due to spiralling costs then inflation would be the best place to look IMO. As it is, I think inflation is bearable at Monarch and below and doesn't need changing. I was just commenting on the areas that I think would be best to look at if the problem existed, rather than any implementation that I intended to do. Hope that clarifies things.

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

As a heads up, tomorrow I intend to post an updated version of the mod, with the following changes. I would then appreciate being informed of any bugs that people find. This is not the final version of the mod: I understand that there are still some points that people want ot discuss following PB8, but once this stuff is done, it should minimise a lot of work needed after PB8 has finished.

Considerations for 2.04 (2.03 is a working copy that I’ve got and will not be released publicly)

EXP: cheap aqueducts. +50% workboat production (up form 35%). Cheap Hospitals? Doubt that.

Issue: I disagree that EXP is irretrivably UP. The aim of EXP is to gain a turn advantage on every other leader, from T0 with the worker/workboat builds. The trait as implemented does that: the issue is then restated that EXP does not give a big enough advantage; counter-issue: increasing worker bonus to +50% means that in most plains hill starts can get 6 turn turn advantage over normal starts (15 turn worker v 9 turn worker). In Warlords MP EXP was considered madatory because in close starts (as in any PBEM) EXP turn advantage created unassailable leads. Suggested solutions therefore must focus not on giving a turn advantage but enabling the EXP leader to use the turn advantage for further other aims. This is can be considered as solved in a different mindset: EXP makes the secondary trait work more efficiently: late game traits become relevant earlier in the game, early game traits benefit from synergy.

There are two options for further changes that I’ve considered, the first adding a mechanic similar to the ORG lower civic costs, but for city maintenance. My concern with this is that EXP then becomes similar to vanilla FIN, giving a turn advantage that means the EXP player is capable of not only expanding faster but also enabling that player to generate more beakers due to the lower costs. I kinda think this option is too powerful for EXP.

The remaining option is to give cheap markets to EXP. This would do the same effect as cheap maintenance, but later on in the game, and not be completely free every time the EXP player made a new city, it would require investment. I don’t think this is a necessary change, but I’m aware it is still one that is available, and I think that were it to be made it wouldn’t make EXP OP.

Question: Should EXP have cheap markets, cheap aqueducts, cheap hospitals, or cheaper work boats, or some combination there of, in addition to cheap workers and work boats, and grocers?

CRE: Cheap Observatories

Issue: CRE appears to be a bit weak, because it doesn't do much late in the game. Cheap observatories replace the cheap libraries it lost, but at a stage of the game where a research bonus is weaker.

AGG: Any additional cheap buildings (Stables, Airport)

AGG+ORG: Move cheap court house from ORG to AGG

Issue: Aggressive as a trait was originally designed (before CIV was released) to showcase the new promotion system, which is different to previous civ games. In hindsight, it has become apparant that as every other trait is balanced around economic output, including the modded PRO trait, AGG is currently unbalancable. So a different approach is necessary in considering what it is that AGG does.

One view is to consider AGG as a trait that enables map control, comparable to IMP, CRE, and EXP, but different in how it manages to do that. The C1 bonus is no longer the main point of the trait, but “The cherry on top” like the GG bonus to IMP is. After that, need to consider what AGG actually does, because the bonus needs to be economic: it has to make controlling the map either cheaper to accomplish (through easing expanding ie cheap settlers and workers) or to make it more affordable (less gold cost) or get the cities more productive quicker (easier growth, cheaper tile improvements, higher happy caps).

There are one or two other options such as hacking the DLL to lower city maintenance, but I’m hesitent to do that when there are other options. Cheap court houses turn AGG into a trait that is capable of controlling land through military means but also has economic benefits that allow it to compete with other traits.

ORG is thought of by some as the most powerful trait. Whilst I do not agree with this view, I do not feel that removing cheap court houses weakens it to the point of irrelevance. The flavour issue, that court houses are THE point of the trait does ignore the point that civic cost reduction is what provides the majority of the impetus of the civic, and cheap libraries provide better scaling for what ORG is generally envisaged to do: saving gold that is then used to run the science slider higher, and tech faster.

Arabia: Change starting techs from Myst/Wheel to Myst/Agri
Kublai: Change traits from AGG/CRE to CHM/CRE
Trade route bug fix: Check to see if it has been implemented, if not then implement as per Seven's solution.
Known Tech bonus: Remove the NTT known tech bonus restriction for the NTT game option

Following this, there are certain role backs that I intend to do:

Sumeria: Revert Vulture to base BtS
Carthage: Numidian retreat chance ought to be same as innate retreat chance on HA (bug fix)
Khmer: Turn Ballistaphants into base WE that attack mounted first (ie they keep the feature that made them a UU in the first place, otherwise the same as standard WE.)
War Elephants: Remove bonus against knights
Cristo: Revert +SPI production to vanilla levels

Main topic of conversation: Tech costs: This is a somewhat complicated subject. The simplistic increases in tech costs post paper have always been...in need of smoothing out. I still feel that the increased costs up to 100% are beneficial in stopping tech leaders running away by an era and then crushing competitors, but the ramp up needs...ramping down. This is how I thought about doing it:

The end point is that the start of the Industrial era techs ought to be +100% cost. A somewhat simplistic idea would be to start at Education (and the equivalent techs Gunpowder, PP, Nationalism) and keep them at the current +25%, and then every tech after this increase the tech cost by a further 50%. In some instances, this removes a lot of the ramp up (Nationalism>Constitution>Corporation>Assembly Line), in others...not so much (PP+Astro>SM). As a list compared to base BtS tech costs:
  • Education: +25%
  • PP: +25%
  • Nationalism: +25%
  • Gunpowder: +25%
  • Astronomy: +25%
  • Economics: +50%
  • Liberalism: +50%
  • Replaceable Parts: +50%
  • Military Tradition: +50%
  • Constitution: +50%
  • Chemistry: +50%
  • Democracy: +75%
  • Rifling: +75%
  • Corporation: +75%
  • Military Science: +75%
  • Steel: +75%
  • Steam Power: +75%
  • Artillery: +100%
  • Assembly Line: +100%
  • Scientific Method: +100%
  • Railroad: +100%

Now the question I ask myself is: “Would this change be justified?” I’m not entirely sure if it is, but what do others think?

First, my opinions on the non-tech changes: I think that almost all of these changes are excellent ones. One thing that I would do, if you are reverting the ballista elephant to basically a vanilla war elephant that attacks mounted first outside of cities (and weakening war elephants), is to give ballista elephants a first strike chance. On EXP, I would put cheap markets and cheap aqueducts and keep +33% workboat and worker production (along with cheap gorcers and the +2 health). Otherwise, I think that your suggestions are fairly solid.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

AGG is interesting. C1 is a pretty damn huge cherry on top; it can massively boost some of the already good UUs to greatness, like Impis, Musketeers, and Preatorians. But, that it the soul of a situational boost. Making it cheapen stables and airports makes sense...maybe boost castles as well? In the tech cost world of RBmod, Engineering is more likely to be earlier, so a boost to castles could be nice. ORG is courthouses; courthouses are ORG.

One side thought, going the other way to obsoleting castles...what about making customs houses fetorias? I would love to have a way to boost late-game fishing villages, which in slavery-nerfed RBmod are even worse off than in BtS. Maybe fetorias get some additional boost to their cheapness, like applying the boost to domestic routes too. This would mildly buff Imp, but Imp flags in the late game anyway.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Commodore, when you ranked the traits, you said that AGG was the worst trait, even with cheap stable and airports. Do you think that Castles really makes that much difference?

I'd like to compare the difference between adding a city maintenance modifier to a trait, and cheap court houses. Cheap court houses require that the player researches to CoL, and then invests hammers into a court house to get a bonus, and the advantage gained is only a saving of hammers and a few turns of saved gold (plus the subsequent saved turns on the next building and tech). But court houses are available to anyone that has the hammers and tech to build them: later on the benefits of cheap court houses have played out, so cheap buildings can generally be viewed as short term advantages.

Adding a new maintenance modifier isn't like this. It is not available to any other trait, and it is available from T0 onwards. It is more comparable to the bonus commerce FIN gets, cheaper civic maintenance of ORG, free C1 on AGG or less XP per promotion on CHM. Whilst it may not have such a large effect at the start of the game due to fewer of cities, late game it will till be giving a huge boost (well, larger if not using State Property). It is not a tech dependant, or building dependant bonus, its usefulness relies purely on expansion. This makes it really difficult to judge the balance: just look at the amount of time spent trying to balance FIN.

I'm hesitant to use this mechanic with any trait, because it's basically strong enough to be a trait by itself, depending on the numbers used. If it were used with AGG, it could potentially be a must have with other traits, or completely useless: if you got to the late game you would end up the HRE UB bonus for free, on top of the C1. Late game AGG isn't a problem, it's perfectly OK, it's just getting to the late game so any bonus AGG gets should only help AGG get there, rather than making it any stronger once it reaches that stage. This is why I think giving AGG cheap court houses is a better option, regardless of ORG.

Wel if you want make AGG more apealing gave them chep castles, and if its posible agresiv barack to gave a -15% maintenace cost.

Castles do nothing other than saving, what, 50 hammers in 2-3 border cities, and the trade route bonus makes it a noob trap for core cities under most circumstances, as castles are obsoleted at Economics (a cheaper tech now with the lowering of tech costs in that era). I'm not going to go and introduce new buildings that are only buildable by specific traits, having to go through the process of finding new graphics, create new data for them like soldier points. People argue that the burden of knowledge is already high for this mod, and that change worsens it, by introducing a new sort of building.