As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Serdoa, Ichabod and Ex-Girlfriends - co-starring NH,Bigger and Lewwyn

(July 27th, 2013, 15:14)Serdoa Wrote: We will be at 16/22 after the whip, can produce only 5 food-surplus so next turn we get to 21/22.

That's fine then, you'll get 10 food from the granary then since overflow food is stored as well.
I have to run.

Yeah. I think both NHs and my misconception was first that we could produce 6 food-surplus in that city after the whip, which would have gotten us exactly to 22/22 in which case avoid growth would have been the right choice.

@NH

I looked at that city and didn't like it having only 5 food-surplus so I thought 6 food-surplus would be better. And the workers were here anyhow, with nothing else to do (except building cottages, but we are several turns away from working those that we have.

Yeah, I don't really agree with vaunted "zomg 6f surplus" rule of thumb, especially right now when we don't have much happiness.

True, but what else to do with them? I could have moved them north, but I'm not sure that would have been that smarter (~2-3 turns just moving around).

Few questions:

1) What to do with the galley? We will want to ferry the worker back in around 15 turns. Do we scout southwest for that time?

2) Capital can whip the settler next turn (26 overflow) or change tiles slightly to get to 68/100 next turn and whip it the turn after for a total of 38 overflow. We could build another settler with it by putting the overflow into a settler (with production total of 48), grow to 3 and ... basically (lets assume next turn is T78, I'm not sure right now)

EOT78: 68/100 settler
EOT79: 138/100 settler - whip 2 pop
EOT80: 48/100 settler
EOT81: 2/35 Vulture - 22/24 food
EOT82: 4/35 Vulture - 30/24 food
EOT83: 6/35 Vulture - 26/26 food
EOT84: 62/100 settler
EOT85: 76/100 settler
EOT86: 90/100 settler
EOT87: 104/100 settler

Other idea?

3) I have put Ana Paula to a vulture while it grows, as we won't need a Barracks there ever, the Lighthouse not in the next 30+ turns probably and can use more military. Someone thinks we should build something else?

4) I'd like to get the horses online asap in Doris, as our borders pop this turn and I think a Chariot or two would go a long way to secure our south. Though I guess deer and gold still come first, as there is no immediate threat visible. Opinions?

5) Apart from that I'd like to expand like crazy, starting a settler in Pamela after the LH finishes. If we get at least 5 overflow from the LH Pamela can build the settler in 5 turns without whips. At that point gold should online, it can grow to 6 and from then on will build settlers in 5 and workers in 3 turns with a little bit of overflow every time (=it will make 21 foodhammers per turn). There is no question in this point wink

(July 28th, 2013, 06:50)Serdoa Wrote: True, but what else to do with them? I could have moved them north, but I'm not sure that would have been that smarter (~2-3 turns just moving around).

Well I would have just cottaged that tile instead. Anyway I wouldn't worry about it.

(July 28th, 2013, 07:57)Serdoa Wrote: Few questions:

1) What to do with the galley? We will want to ferry the worker back in around 15 turns. Do we scout southwest for that time?

Sure, scout southwest.

(July 28th, 2013, 07:57)Serdoa Wrote: 2) Capital can whip the settler next turn (26 overflow) or change tiles slightly to get to 68/100 next turn and whip it the turn after for a total of 38 overflow. We could build another settler with it by putting the overflow into a settler (with production total of 48), grow to 3 and ... basically (lets assume next turn is T78, I'm not sure right now)

EOT78: 68/100 settler
EOT79: 138/100 settler - whip 2 pop
EOT80: 48/100 settler
EOT81: 2/35 Vulture - 22/24 food
EOT82: 4/35 Vulture - 30/24 food
EOT83: 6/35 Vulture - 26/26 food
EOT84: 62/100 settler
EOT85: 76/100 settler
EOT86: 90/100 settler
EOT87: 104/100 settler

Other idea?

I don't think we need another settler. We need to get to Mathematics and our economy is starting to drop precipitously. I would have whipped the settler this turn and then regrown and gotten another worker out probably (for chopping and cottaging). We need roads further southwest towards the sign where I said to scout, at the northwest edge of the jungle. There's probably a city there we can settle before IW, but we need to scout and road first.

(July 28th, 2013, 07:57)Serdoa Wrote: 3) I have put Ana Paula to a vulture while it grows, as we won't need a Barracks there ever, the Lighthouse not in the next 30+ turns probably and can use more military. Someone thinks we should build something else?

Vulture is good, yes.

(July 28th, 2013, 07:57)Serdoa Wrote: 4) I'd like to get the horses online asap in Doris, as our borders pop this turn and I think a Chariot or two would go a long way to secure our south. Though I guess deer and gold still come first, as there is no immediate threat visible. Opinions?

Deer first for sure. Gold vs horse is debatable, but I think we want the gold asap. We only make 12 gpt max which concerns me.

(July 28th, 2013, 07:57)Serdoa Wrote: 5) Apart from that I'd like to expand like crazy, starting a settler in Pamela after the LH finishes. If we get at least 5 overflow from the LH Pamela can build the settler in 5 turns without whips. At that point gold should online, it can grow to 6 and from then on will build settlers in 5 and workers in 3 turns with a little bit of overflow every time (=it will make 21 foodhammers per turn). There is no question in this point wink

Yeah, we want to expand and squeeze our weak neighbor in the south, but we need to balance workers with settlers. We have done way too much seesawing this game where we either build too many settlers or too many workers (mostly the former causing an excessive correction via the latter). We need to get to Mathematics to chop out a wonder and then to Currency at which point we can spam cities without much worry.

Also, are you on Gchat? Cyneheard gave me your pbem address and I invited it to chat, but you might not be using it anymore.

(July 28th, 2013, 13:36)NobleHelium Wrote: Also, are you on Gchat? Cyneheard gave me your pbem address and I invited it to chat, but you might not be using it anymore.

Don't do it! That's how he takes your soul.
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

You cannot escape, Gaspar...

(July 28th, 2013, 13:36)NobleHelium Wrote: I don't think we need another settler. We need to get to Mathematics and our economy is starting to drop precipitously. I would have whipped the settler this turn and then regrown and gotten another worker out probably (for chopping and cottaging). We need roads further southwest towards the sign where I said to scout, at the northwest edge of the jungle. There's probably a city there we can settle before IW, but we need to scout and road first.

I don't think our economy is as bad as it looks. It just dropped a bit because we have several units (galley, settler, 2 workers, 2 workboats, 4 warriors) outside our borders. This turn we'll settle the Moai-city (need a name!) and will get rid of a few of those units and will also up all traderoutes to 2c. A total of +14 commerce. We'll lose probably around 4-5 gold in maintenance for the new city, but that still means around 20% higher research than last turn I think. Additionally Ana Paula is growing into several cottages, we will in ~5 turns work the gold and we'll get Maths and soon after hopefully HG for even more cottage-working pop. I think we are absolutely fine.

I'm not sure which PBEM-number it was that I played a no-whip, rex-strategy, but in that game I also thought I had crashed my economy, just to get it back within a few turns by having every city work at least 1 cottage. That was pretty much enough to keep me afloat. On this map we should have even more leeway.

Noblehelium Wrote:Deer first for sure. Gold vs horse is debatable, but I think we want the gold asap. We only make 12 gpt max which concerns me.

See above, looks bad, but isn't. Oh, added to that: The more we expand the lower we will go on gpt at max tax, but we'll still have a good research rate and that's actually what is important (as long as we don't crash below 0 and go on strike obviously).

Noblehelium Wrote:Yeah, we want to expand and squeeze our weak neighbor in the south, but we need to balance workers with settlers. We have done way too much seesawing this game where we either build too many settlers or too many workers (mostly the former causing an excessive correction via the latter). We need to get to Mathematics to chop out a wonder and then to Currency at which point we can spam cities without much worry.

I agree insofar as that we really need to get to Maths, chop HG and get Currency (+a second island city). But I'd rather not have us slow down much on settlers honestly. Anyhow, you are also correct that we have not balanced workers and settlers very well, though I think that is partly to be blamed on the uncertain situation we had at the start and later on the decision to grab the gold-city (which was good but not in my plans initially). And partly on my inability to make long-term worker or city-improvement plans.

Noblehelium Wrote:Also, are you on Gchat? Cyneheard gave me your pbem address and I invited it to chat, but you might not be using it anymore.

I do. I'm just always on invisible-mode. But normally I'm available at around 1700 GMT till 2100 GMT. Just send me a message and if I'm there and have time I'll answer.

Oh, and completely different topic:

Civstats shows that Nakor/CFCJesterFool had a score decrease while logged out while at the same time Gavagai had a score-increase. Guess that means he took a city from him. Not that we can do anything about it, but something to keep in mind as he still leads by 10 points (though I think we have so many water-tiles in our borders that we probably would have highest score if we substracted land-points from it).