As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

Yeah the upgrade path makes march scary. I feel that the minor difference in strength against mounted is, well, not negligible but swords are good enough to defend and inflict losses against HA but still make catapults deal less damage as collateral to other units compared to defending with spears.

I kinda wish they had been implemented as ckassical era catapults like CKN are for China. But thats a huge change. Freidrich used that explanation back in beta but it's not how they are in practice.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

All that said if Swords were to be deleted from the game I doubt anyone would notice or care, but I dont necessarily think that's a bad thing.

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

I think swords are fine.

I agree w/ Krill about them being underrated. If they were unlocked w/ Bronze working along w/ axes, they would be used a lot more frequently.

its ok that some units are used less than others. They still have a purpose from time to time.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Quote:Posted by Krill
Elephants are rarer due to cost (60 hammers!) and don't get tile defence. Strength 7 units in a 40% city defend at 11.55 ignoring hills or promotions; the WE is still at 7, 10.5 against HA. Swords at 40 hammers are easier to produce.
I thought that cultural city defence bonus is still applied to Elephants, Knights and other "doesn't receive defence bonuses" units? Or is it an Elephant-specific RBmod change?

Nope only unit specific fastmovers like Immortals get defensive boni.

Yeah, you're right. Strange, always thought it was the opposite.

(February 1st, 2014, 19:00)Krill Wrote: All that said if Swords were to be deleted from the game I doubt anyone would notice or care, but I dont necessarily think that's a bad thing.
Perhaps I should note part of it is an aesthetic objection; the unique artstyles and looks for the various sword units are excellent, while axes are dull and save for the "middle east" all the same.

Just seems like a wasted unit. frown
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Perhaps it's worth considering making swords literally a copy of axes, right down to cost, bonuses, and tech requirements.

If we aren't going to make them a viable unit, the least we can do is make them worth building just for aesthetic variety, rather than pretending they don't exist.
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

Well, they're viable if resourceless and able to 2-move through forests...or 2-move through hills with the possibility of getting 50% withdraw...or strength 7...
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Maybe increase their city attack from 10% to 25%?
http://nijidraws.tumblr.com/ - Crediting the artist who made my profile pic.