As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

And ... just in case you need to spice it with something else new ... you could use Seven's new map - Torusland.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

(February 10th, 2014, 23:20)Bigger Wrote: Well thats the rub, isn't it? With all the balancing to Free Market and Environmentalism, SP is still as strong as ever. every economy wants to run it. SE, sure, but even a cottage economy is probably better off w/ SP over free speech, unless its just a tiny backward empire. The fact that workshops are fully unlocked w/ guilds instead of chemistry also means almost everyone will have more workshops on the ground than they would in BTS, too, making SP even more attractive.

I don't think most cottage economies can justify skipping SP, but caste SE economies might, for environmentalism. especially with other factors (PHI, mali mints, whatever). environmentalism is just a much stronger civic than free speech and stacks up against free market and SP much better.

as it stands I see very little use for Free speech. it was very viable in bts, but not overpowered. in rbmod, I'm not sure it can even compete w/ Free Market, much less SP. even if it beats Free market (say, always war or a civ with few open borders - or maybe someone that just builds cottages everywhere, forsaking hammers altogethor), it isn't discovered until you nearly have communism, so its window is so small, maybe only available for SPI civs that don't mind revolting to it for the short term. It's very niche - short term use by SPI civs and for those that need it for a CV.

at the very least is should be moved back to liberalism (along with environmentalism - so what if liberalism unlocks a crapload of civics), so that its window can be bigger.

There are a couple of ways to buff FS towards the level of SP, but really if FS were put back into the legal civic column it would have to nerfed; late game it ends up outproducing Bureaucracy (in most cases...) for those players that have already been successful in taking land. In other words, it perpetuates the snowball.

The other options for improving FS are to give it +1 commerce to villages, making it low cost (down from high), moving SP up to medium cost (I think it's low?) and as you said moving it forward slightly to Lib.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(February 9th, 2014, 16:06)Krill Wrote: FM in PB13 is the most powerful it will ever be, most games it will be significantly weaker but that isn't to say it doesn't need a small nerf.

With the limitation that Sunrise can't host more than one modded game at a time, and many disillusioned with vanilla BtS, maybe the next really significant RBMod game will also be of a mega-epic scale with plentiful intercontinental foreign trade routes, and should be balanced as such?

I moved the new insanity game discussion/signup here.

On the subject of fast workers, I personally agree with Sevenspirits that the funnest and most thematic part about them is the way they zoom around the map with 3 moves, rather then the fact that they don't waste a turn for every chop or mine. Is there a way to model this in game (basically giving them three moves but increasing the terrain cost of all tiles with cost 2 to 3), or is the current situation simply preferred?
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

changelog needs an entry for the German UB: Assembly Plants are available at Steam Power, and lost their +50% build speed with coal. Was that last change intentional?

(February 12th, 2014, 23:17)Ceiliazul Wrote: changelog needs an entry for the German UB: Assembly Plants are available at Steam Power, and lost their +50% build speed with coal. Was that last change intentional?

I'm pretty sure factories don't normally get +50% build speed with coal.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

The assembly plant did, but in RBmod it apparently does not.

Make Trebuchet S8, remove +100% city attack?

Assembly Plant: added to the list.

Trebuchet: that'd probably have a lot of effects (I wouldn't call them side effects given the change is intentional).
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18