As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

(February 18th, 2014, 12:15)WilliamLP Wrote: Empirically, this is not true unless I missed something. I tested under RBMod 2.0.3.4, and the screenshots are shown.

Ok, thanks for the rigorous testing. I need to retire from giving out mechanics advice, apparently it's been too long. smile

Or, you know, you could actually play in a game... mischief

More realistically, you could ded lurk someone)
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(February 18th, 2014, 12:30)Old Harry Wrote: The suggested Trebuchet and Swordsman changes sound like change for the sake of it, so I'd leave them alone.

Personally, my favorite aspect about RBMod is how it has awakened some nearly unused parts of the game and makes people think freshly about strategy and tactics in some unexplored places. Especially with the civics and tile improvements, and certainly some units too - elephants for instance.

The game I'd like to see is one where these seldom-used units get into the mix in a serious way, not just some for rare niche. I even kind of like the Riot / League style of game balance where they often over-do it and the balance swings on a pendulum over time, so I'd welcome a Swordsman that tempts me to beeline iron.

I'd also like to play a rebalance where _all_ the dubious UUs and UBs are given value, equal to the strongest ones, attempting to make the civs more distinct and have a very noticeable strength in a certain era. I think it comes down to where you stand between wanting a minimal tweak and a rework and which the mod wants to be.

(February 18th, 2014, 10:04)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: I guess a down side of dropping the cost too much would be that it would make the upgrade to cannons too cheap if there wasn't enough of a base cost investment in building the trebuchet in the first place

Upgrade costs aren't constant for each transition, but a formula based on the relative hammer costs of the units: 20 + 3 * (hammer difference). So e.g. warrior to axe is 20 + 3* (35-15) = 80 gold, knight to cuir only 50 gold because the hammer difference is 10. Treb to cannon costs 80 gold, but if trebs were to cost 70 hammers, the upgrade would cost 110 gold instead.

iPrice = GC.getDefineINT("BASE_UNIT_UPGRADE_COST");

iPrice += (max(0, (GET_PLAYER(getOwnerINLINE()).getProductionNeeded(eUnit) - GET_PLAYER(getOwnerINLINE()).getProductionNeeded(getUnitType()))) * GC.getDefineINT("UNIT_UPGRADE_COST_PER_PRODUCTION"));

(BASE_UNIT_UPGRADE_COST=20, UNIT_UPGRADE_COST_PER_PRODUCTION=3, from GlobalDefines.xml)

Krill do you've a TODO list for the next RBmod vesion? I browsed through some of the latest post and collected the list below. Is there something else potentially coming in to the mod?

Priority 1:
* Increase to max number of players to more than 34
* disable map trading
* Double the known civ bonus
* Combat I removed from Berserkers
* Assembly plant +100% with coal.
* Barracks culture doubling

Then some suggestions floated, but no firm consensus:
* Sword: Give +50% city attack and Archer: +30% against sword (remember to change sword UUs too).
* Metal Casting: Decrease cost to that of Alphabet.
* Trebuchet: decrease cost to 70 and move them to Machinery
* Some further nerf to Vikings. My favorites are to Change Navigation I promo to Flanking I or remove circumnavigation
* change Free Speech Low cost civic or some other minor boost
* Byz starting with Fishing+Myst
* Something to make events better e.g. remove all bad ones and too good ones. Make Quests global...

(February 19th, 2014, 06:49)plako Wrote: Krill do you've a TODO list for the next RBmod vesion? I browsed through some of the latest post and collected the list below. Is there something else potentially coming in to the mod?

Priority 1:
* Increase to max number of players to more than 34
* disable map trading
* Double the known civ bonus

* Combat I removed from Berserkers
* Assembly plant +100% with coal.
* Barracks culture doubling

The bolded changes would be for a stand alone version of the mod used solely for a PB game using more than 18 players. Would not be in the mod proper. The Germany and barracks fix do need to be done anyway.

Quote:Then some suggestions floated, but no firm consensus:
* Sword: Give +50% city attack and Archer: +30% against sword (remember to change sword UUs too).
* Metal Casting: Decrease cost to that of Alphabet.
* Trebuchet: decrease cost to 70 and move them to Machinery
* Some further nerf to Vikings. My favorites are to Change Navigation I promo to Flanking I or remove circumnavigation
* change Free Speech Low cost civic or some other minor boost
* Byz starting with Fishing+Myst
* Something to make events better e.g. remove all bad ones and too good ones. Make Quests global...

The Events I'm not likely to get around to soon enough. I looked at it once and I don't think there is enough for Events to be salvageable in current form, basically need people to write at least 100 new events/quests to replace the sheer amount that need removing. Also need discussion on how far events should go (ie are free GP too strong? Should events that give GP have minimum costs etc).

The rest I can pretty much do today. Trebs, having thought about it a bit more, I'm torn on dropping the cost; moving them to Engineering means they can be researched around the time longbows can be built if you actually go for them and at that point in the game the only real counter would be HA and cat stacks, but if trebs have swords and WE to defend them as well, then things get dicey. They might actually be too strong at Machinery and 70 hammers.

(And as an aside I also want to know if people think Mercantilism is too weak; I will go on record and state it's by fair the weakest of the 4 economy civics but it's available so early it's a no brainer unless you have intercontinental trade routes but no islands of your own. If that whole column is being rebalanced might as well do it properly. I don't want to change anything with Merc because I think it is OK as implemented, but I could be wrong).

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Merch is fine, it is its own thing. AW it is excellent, it can be very nice in a Pacifism GA, otherwise situational. FS going Low cost alone should be fine.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

OK, I've made all the changes, with one exception. I don't know how to change the civilopedia entry for hte Dun simply because I can't find it in any of the relevant XML files. It is not in the BTS files, I checked the warlords file and it makes reference not to the Dun, but to a Celtic Observatory...WTF? I can't remember if the Celtic UB was changed between Warlords and BTS.

Anyone got any idea where to look?

Clearly it is a suggestion. Celtic Henge, observatory available at Mysticism.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Yay for Charismatic buffs.

No, seriously, I don't know where to find the sodding entry.