As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 Organizing Thread (RB Mod 34 Civs)

I think that we do need some kind of discipline around pauses, with 34 players. Otherwise we're going to end up with a 48 or 72 hour turn pace by turn 50.

I proposed something earlier in the thread. It's pretty hardline, but I think we need to be somewhat hard. If you need a pause ingame, request one in the tech thread. If you don't request one, and miss a turn, no reloads - the game continues and you must deal with it.

I don't think that taking ten seconds to post in the tech thread if you can't play your turn is that big a deal.

Obviously we would make some exceptions in emergencies, like unexpected power outages without mobile internet access, but in general "sorry I got too busy and forgot to ask for a pause" should not be an excuse to reload a missed turn, not with potentially 20+ people having to replay turns because of it.
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

I can't believe this thing didn't collapse under it's own weight. Oh well, at least I get to play a game with Ichabod smile.

Darrell

(March 2nd, 2014, 10:47)darrelljs Wrote: I can't believe this thing didn't collapse under it's own weight. Oh well, at least I get to play a game with Ichabod smile.

Darrell

yet

I think most of us (certainly myself) asked for a dictator who could make hasty decisions without needing ages of discussion, consensus building, and feelings management.

Can it be made precise when the deadline is for deciding to keep or discard our roll? To clarify how the second round works, as I read it, all discarded civs and leaders are unpaired, and new pairs are rolled from what's left (including unused leaders), right? And it's not just a re-assigning of the leader/civ pairings rolled the first time? Also there is no second reroll possible, right?

IIUC, we're using the same system as PB13, which did have a second reroll, but no third.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(March 2nd, 2014, 11:21)WilliamLP Wrote: I think most of us (certainly myself) asked for a dictator who could make hasty decisions without needing ages of discussion, consensus building, and feelings management.

Definitely, my post was not ment for starting a long discussion. Just mentioning somewhat controversial topics that our dictator could address, which plako already did. Don't be a jerk should be a good guideline for the most situations anyways.

Quote:To clarify how the second round works, as I read it, all discarded civs and leaders are unpaired, and new pairs are rolled from what's left (including unused leaders), right? And it's not just a re-assigning of the leader/civ pairings rolled the first time?

This is how I understand the reroll.

Quote:Also there is no second reroll possible, right?

In PB13 there was a 2nd reroll available so I imagine that this is the case again.
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

We need a forum so we can start lurking the rolls!

Lurking idea:

Sullla reports only through his observation post and refrains from reading spoiler threads. Global lurkers who only follows Sullla's coverage will be allowed to sub in later. That way potential subs can read up on the game a bit without spoiling themselves too much about plans and such.

(March 2nd, 2014, 08:13)plako Wrote: In general I would avoid the urge to define numerous detailed rules. Some flexibility, common sense and not being a jerk has worked decently well in the games I've lately been playing i.e. PB8+PB13. This is also reflected in the settings that has been presented in the sign-up thread.

IMO:
1. Commodore and Sullla would make excellent admins, if either/both of them would be willing.
2. No policy is best policy. Constant pauses are annoying, but forcing something else just will cause unnescessary troubles. We'll figure out the best solution case by case.
3. I can do well with a either version of the rule. However this is not in the original rule set so I would say it is allowed and there is no need to change it.
4. Yes - No one should start this game thinking it is ok to turn to AI, if it feels dull to play. Find replacement or play the game to the bitter end.
5. To me it just means you can make trade through diplo window. There shouldn't be any coded messages anywhere naturally including unit/city naming.

The main things that I want to know about are selling cities, and using gold as a count down (so on one turn you might put in 29 gold, on the next you put 28 etc).

Personally I'm fine with whatever for the cities, and think that anyone that uses a countdown in an AI diplo game needs to be hung drawn and quartered.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

PB13 reroll method seems best.

Forum for lurking and spamming would be nice. smile

I like the idea of handling pauses on a case by case basis but with the velvet-lined glove/iron-fisted Admin making decisions on reloads. It goes without saying with this many players there will inevitably be delays, so we as players should anticipate this (and correspondingly work on our breathing/relaxation techniques when the inevitable delay occurs). That said, we must all be uncommonly conscious and courteous to the other players of our obligation to play our civ in a timely fashion so we do not unduly hold up the game and ruin the experience for other players. This needs to be followed rigorously with so many players, so if you know you are the kind of person who may be unreliable, please prepare in advance to accommodate this by recruiting a ded-lurker, brushing up on your communication skills in the tech thread, or bow out now. I anticipate there will be several stretches that I am going to be away from civ, and I will work hard to make sure my absences will not impact the game. Please everyone do the same.

I think however Sullla decides to report the observer civ will be highly informational and entertaining. I don't think he really needs any guidance on that, he's one of the best reporters we have. Just do it however you prefer, and if you're willing to be a temporary sub at times, even better.

Edit: I would also like to see some decision made on city gifting. I'm not highly enamored with how it is being handled in PB13. My preference would be for city gifting to be banned unless it is part of a peace deal. Perhaps peace deals should also be banned and we just use cease fires?