As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Poll: How then shall we play?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Repeat the mistakes and glories of the past!
22.41%
13 22.41%
Wallow in bitterness and rage!
15.52%
9 15.52%
Peace out blissfully and love everyone!
15.52%
9 15.52%
Iron Terminator, Win Above All Else!
20.69%
12 20.69%
Die to Barbarians.
25.86%
15 25.86%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[spoilers]Oh Canada! Victoria has a Commodore, eh?

rolf

Ottawa update! Now with levee action. Only need railroads (4t) to completely pimp out this capital.

So, more grimly, here's the news of the world. Mack is NAPing like clockwork; I doubt he would have declared on both if he wasn't confident of getting 10t peace treaties from both. frown

So in other words, this shot is titled "farewell, Lewwyn". Sorry buddy...if you were trusting mackoti to help, you were making a classic mistake: trusting mackoti.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

I generally think that Liberalism worth it only if you need Education itself and/or can get from Lib something more expansive than Nationalism and equally useful (like, MT or Steel). It is very rarely the case now because competition for Liberalism is tough but if meta changes and people stop to prioritize it that much, Liberalism may become, ironically, more useful.
(I once took Assembly Line with Liberalism in an SP game - that was awesome.)
Actually, getting Lib was a tough choice for me in AlaePB (technically a spoiler but the game is long past that point). I had absolutely no use for Education or Liberalism themselves, had a lot of overflow stored and could easily just research Nationalism straight up and save two scientists. In the end I decided to still take it but only to deny it to a rival who, without competition, could take something completely terrifying with it.
Also, I completely disagree that getting Liberalism was a mistake for Sulla/Mikehendy in PB16, he could both take Lib and defend from Gaspar easily. The fact that he still failed to defend from Gaspar is a consequence of different mistakes and a completely another matter. But I have already argued this in respective thread.

(April 4th, 2014, 12:55)Commodore Wrote: if you were trusting mackoti to help, you were making a classic mistake: trusting mackoti.

Yeah, after you got NAP stabbed in 24, I'm surprised people keep making that mistake.

What were the odds 20t ago that Azza would outlast BigLew? Shoulda bet the farm!

(April 4th, 2014, 13:21)Gavagai Wrote: I generally think that Liberalism worth it only if you need Education itself and/or can get from Lib something more expansive than Nationalism and equally useful (like, MT or Steel). It is very rarely the case now because competition for Liberalism is tough but if meta changes and people stop to prioritize it that much, Liberalism may become, ironically, more useful.
(I once took Assembly Line with Liberalism in an SP game - that was awesome.)
Actually, getting Lib was a tough choice for me in AlaePB (technically a spoiler but the game is long past that point). I had absolutely no use for Education or Liberalism themselves, had a lot of overflow stored and could easily just research Nationalism straight up and save two scientists. In the end I decided to still take it but only to deny it to a rival who, without competition, could take something completely terrifying with it.
Also, I completely disagree that getting Liberalism was a mistake for Sulla/Mikehendy in PB16, he could both take Lib and defend from Gaspar easily. The fact that he still failed to defend from Gaspar is a consequence of different mistakes and a completely another matter. But I have already argued this in respective thread.

Yeah, in PB16 that's all fairly true, the difficult thing to grasp sometimes is that the fast the tech pace becomes the earlier Taj may occur and at that point the pay off from Taj is not as great...and, yes, the larger tech that comes from Lib the fewer effective beakers Education costs such that it might be cost effective enough to justify. And denial does matter...
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Communique to Scooter: You think chucklenaughts/cats are annoying? Try these mate. Think about them. Roll it around in your head. You don't want to attack me. Let this help you justify that to yourself.

I'll weave in DR next turn, not this one, want Islam to found somewhere other than Brampton. Spiral Minaret, coming up, with zero slowing on Railroad's 4 turn ETA.

While Ottawa will always be my best city, Montreal might soon become my *biggest* city. Size 24? Why not?

Just need forge/grocer in first to handle happy and healthy, I guess...

I'm a backwater, cheerfully researching away while the world of the south burns. I've yet to see Lewwyn's power tumble, but he's not got much of a base left. Azza, Azza(!) is growing. Although for what, I dunno. Mackoti or Scooter will eat him at leisure.

While I research, I've been rushing some key infra in the newbie cities. Granary/lighthouse are easy...harbor, often. The feitoria is the hardest choice, given that it's expensive sans Imp discount. I'll probably start rushing temples, too, well worth it for the perks. Note Scooter/Plako here giving me handy discounts where I want to go next.

My military is just sad, but I'll buy a round of machine guns for everywhere in 3-4 turns...cannon will be relevant defensively for quite some time, although arty isn't that far away really.

Peaceful, sleepy, Canada. nod

(April 6th, 2014, 13:42)Commodore Wrote: Peaceful, sleepy, Canada. nod

In other news, it is turn 214. How does the goal of 40 tanks on Incan soil by turn 240 sound?

Slow.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(April 6th, 2014, 14:50)Krill Wrote: Slow.
Right now, it's:
3 more turns on Railroad.
1t cash
4t Assembly Line
1t cash
3t Physics
1t cash
3t Biology
3t Artillery
1t cash
3t Combustion
1t cash
3t Electricity
1t cash
5t Industrialism
8t cash->40tanks. Ignoring the airship/transport costs. tongue
=40 turns. So I'm looking to shave 14 off that with golden age/improved teching due buildings and growth/magic. I think it's actually fairly ambitious, these techs ain't cheap.