As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Poll: How then shall we play?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Repeat the mistakes and glories of the past!
22.41%
13 22.41%
Wallow in bitterness and rage!
15.52%
9 15.52%
Peace out blissfully and love everyone!
15.52%
9 15.52%
Iron Terminator, Win Above All Else!
20.69%
12 20.69%
Die to Barbarians.
25.86%
15 25.86%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[spoilers]Oh Canada! Victoria has a Commodore, eh?

(June 3rd, 2014, 00:05)Ceiliazul Wrote: Are we looking at his transport? Or using the name Nate Burleson?
His transport and galleon invasion fleet.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Sheesh that's a high break even rate, is it all the banks that you currently have up that allow for that? Or is it more of FM and the Shrine.
http://nijidraws.tumblr.com/ - Crediting the artist who made my profile pic.

A good shrine can make you over 200gpt with Wall Street and full gold multipliers. It's a huge chunk of change that covers most of the expenditure...
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(June 3rd, 2014, 08:49)BaII Wrote: Sheesh that's a high break even rate, is it all the banks that you currently have up that allow for that? Or is it more of FM and the Shrine.
Kind of all the above, really. The shrine with Wall Street and banks and everything is making about 300gpt. AP religion. wink

I sent a flurry of alarmed diplo panes at Scooter, although I'm pretty sure Scooter's having a life protects me best. My east is pretty vulnerable to blitzing naval ops, obviously. I haven't highlighted the economic stuff much lately, but the Greenlands and their isles are an amazingly powerful part of my economy; nice and big cities all (a little war weary). They aren't directly producing much for the war effort outside of airships, but the money made here rushes a hell of a lot over there.

Dtay's navy has been identified and in getting ringed by airships; he's currently got Old Harry cowed and hiding in ports but relief is on the way. nod

I forgot to mention, Dtay has a couple more Arctic Holdfasts beyond the surprisingly well-defended Cameron. However, they should comfortably be "die on the vine" kinds of places; certainly nothing worth diverting a mainland invasion force for.

Briggs Island's days are numbered. I have a merry and full train of death and pain on the way. Taking Briggs Island and then Cameron will probably gas this set, but next in line will be a heavy tank/marine/arty/machine gun force prepared for landfall. Industrialism is gonna rock! Except for the ivory obsolescence.

I am thinking about land splits; in a tit-for-tat manner I expect Old Harry will want to smash Central City; it's pretty poorly defended at the moment. scared I've got a destroyer stack looking to oppose Dtay's southern fleet here. He's been surprisingly light on airships thus far, which is what I am currently banking on...if he had nine or ten in strike range I would be pretty much toast here. Well. With this fleet element. shhh

It looks like you'd like to play a nice game of naval combat. Could I interest you in a simulation? Just push this button! bump

Hey, looks like it still powers on!
[Image: 0.jpg]

OK, found my disk, check out the sweet cover art!
[Image: Strike_Fleet_Coverart.png]

Enter archaic commands...

LOAD "$",8
[Image: 117179.png]
RUN

Sick graphics. For a loading screen.
[Image: Strike_fleet_01.gif]

Find me something to kill.
[Image: ccs2.bmp]

Uh, do we have Soviet counter agents in this task force? We're shooting at our own AA missles!!!
[Image: ccs0.bmp]

Oh shit, that one's getting really close. We should probably try to shoot it down....But this is Realms Beyond, we seek greater challenges! Take it down with the deck guns, AA is for the weak (and that thing is too close to lock on anyway)!
[Image: ccs3.bmp]

That didn't end well....
[Image: StrikeFleet_Highscore_Werner.png]

Our fleet was destroyed, but hey, we dodged a court martial. SUCCESS!

Played a ton of that when I was really young, like throughout elementary school from 2nd grade on. Learned to type playing that game, you need a lot of keys to keep a fleet intact and, of course, to kill communist bastards. Has anyone else ever played it? (BGN can ignore the question, obviously, although the idea of discussing big boats being fired upon in the Atlantic probably wouldn't be too appealing to him right now. lol ). And I know this is pretty much offtopic, but hey, if Dtay can have a fun conversation about the Fire Emblem series in his thread, why not bring up a Commodore 64 naval combat game here?

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

That's awesome, Xenu! Commodore and modern naval combat seem on-topic to me. (Not surprised at all by the FE stuff in Dtay's thread...for a while I had the hardest dang time following PBEM 53 as it was "The Black Sword" vs. The Black Knight...)
[Image: Windy_Corner%22_of_the_Battle_of_Jutland...C_R.I..jpg]
Brother D'tay took the coward's way out and is sitting his fleet tight in Central City, just barely out of airship range. Kind of like World War I and Germany's dreadnought fleet, actually. Come on, buddy, let's Jutland this! Actually, hey, there were Canadian forces in that one...

...anyway, sadly I did lose a destroyer this turn as Dtay sniped one of my blockaders and then hid back in Briggs. Where it shot up an airship, ugh! Even so, this is not a good turn to be living on the Last Great Island of Germany. Bombs fall all over from Kamloops' zeppelin cloud, and the noose is now tightening.

Starting off the festivities small, I deposited my cavalry in Rivaria, finding that the city had indeed at one time grown! I also spot a pair of tasty workers sitting on the icy oil patch. I kept the city, renaming it "Herschel", because you can't turn down a mere 3t revolt.

Only mildly more effort went into capturing Aerugo, which was a bit more of an internal debate to keep or not. But in the end, the only acceptable choice is to hold it. Blanc-Sablon, hai!

Another transport, this one laden with infantry and one more cavalry, was able to duck in to the newly captured city, unload, and then duck out. The cavalry gleefully rushed up the rails to capture those workers...

...and then headed back in, leaving a respectable garrison for the new capture. Now Briggs' garrison is big enough to recapture both cities, barely, but as you can see selected, I have sixteen fresh troops poised to strike the big Moai city next turn, and another transport with some slightly mussed odds and sods is even closer, able to retake my captures should Dtay opt in that direction.

I'm carefully going to have to cover the next stage of island hopping from the German fleet in being; for now, however, I think I have things covered decently. The blockaders of North City have enough of a backstop to be reasonably confident here; worse comes to worse I'll just rush in more battleships to properly replace the losses.

In weird news, Mackoti is on the move with his own battleships, steaming...somewhere? Heck man, I dunno.

As a final note, I found this screen amusing:

Fear my vast and extensive lands!

So with the exception of PB1 and PBEM 17, I do believe this is the only game seeing tech-parity modern warfare on semi-equal terms. Once we start landing tanks while Finarry hits from the south, we should be seeing even more of it. Mackoti is steaming due south right now, so he might push a bit at Plako over there. This is new ground.

And to anyone who says modern era warfare is a slog? Get out!
[Image: zsjebno37ommxsfymz1v.gif]

That being said, I am glossing over parts of the logistics; for instance, the transport and rail chains that result in some newborn infantry moving a good 25 tiles in a turn. I'm keyed in and aware of general doctrines, but this is all basically me winging it right now, discovering stuff that works.

So...any questions? Anything you'd like to see?

I think that a pic dump of all your cities at some point would be useful. As would an F5 screen. Future force compositions as well perhaps?
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(June 4th, 2014, 11:24)Commodore Wrote: That being said, I am glossing over parts of the logistics; for instance, the transport and rail chains that result in some newborn infantry moving a good 25 tiles in a turn. I'm keyed in and aware of general doctrines, but this is all basically me winging it right now, discovering stuff that works.

So...any questions? Anything you'd like to see?

So you're doing the transport chains where you load into one, unload into another, etc.? How many transports does that take for the numbers and distances you're moving? I guess I second the F5 screen since that will show how many transports you've got.

Completed: PB 28, PBEM 55, PB 18, PBEM 60, some other stuff, PB 2

Would love full force commission and ship chaining routes highlighted on a map of the region. Although that may be asking a bit ... smile
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player