As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Poll: How then shall we play?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Repeat the mistakes and glories of the past!
22.41%
13 22.41%
Wallow in bitterness and rage!
15.52%
9 15.52%
Peace out blissfully and love everyone!
15.52%
9 15.52%
Iron Terminator, Win Above All Else!
20.69%
12 20.69%
Die to Barbarians.
25.86%
15 25.86%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[spoilers]Oh Canada! Victoria has a Commodore, eh?

You must take it by force!
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

Clearly your SS is meant to be built of iron. Either that, or you were supposed to capture EVERY island, not just ice balls. mischief

(June 15th, 2014, 18:23)Commodore Wrote: This is how I could win, if Mackoti got a wild hair up his butt and voted me. So...maybe some turn if Yuri takles back over? Heh. "None" selected.

I don't remember in which version of the mod that was fixed, but at least that can't happen in PB18. In 2.0.6.4 it's definitely patched correctly (everyone can vote for victory, you get the vote outcome, and the game goes on) even if it was still possible in the version used here in PB13. Good of you to not vote for a reload in any case. wink

As for the Aluminum, you solved your own problem when talking about New Xerxes, it seems to me. hammer

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Just means you need to pop another one at Ottawa.

(June 15th, 2014, 23:44)Kofiman Wrote: Just means you need to pop another one at Ottawa.
Kofiman, I like the way you think! nod
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

With ease, I slashed down and slew my battleship's slayer. Damnably, the cursed Blue Baron escaped to a neutral port! I am blockading them in there now; with those last two ships hemmed in my transports are safe. Dtay is trying to break out in the south but I'm splashing airships and generally being awesome...I think I've about annulled him as a threat at sea. Dr. Claw rants aside. wink

I've got some pretty decent troop numbers, but nothing like what is needed for a mainland invasion yet. I did realize that it is daft to keep turning gold into troops when bombers are just two techs away and fighters/carriers just one; I'm turning on research to net Flight in 3t (with MilSci for overflow) and then Radio is another 3t. That ought to make things blatantly unfair.

I considered Fission/Rocketry for a while, but ICBMs are just too expensive for what they do now...particularly when you consider that I'd still need the Manhattan Project. frown Krill, have you considered making the Manhattan Project give some benefit to the builder? Like, I dunno, doubled ICBM production?

I'm now turning my attention towards invading mainland Germany. Of course, that is going to be a massive undertaking, quite literally on the order of D-Day in World War II. The single biggest terror is The Dread Stack, 37 kanone plus 4 artillery, and more being added over time. The stack is centrally located in the middle of Germany, able to strike out on good rail lines to any port I should choose to invade in. I have allies on the other side of him, advanced tech, and thanks to US a far better troop production ability. So I could land and soak it up...but it would have to be the single largest Civ4 invasion in Realms Beyond history.
[Image: pg-dday-full-on-622x443.jpg]
...which, hey, sounds wonderful and all, but after studying the map a little more, I think I've come up with an alternate plan, one that honestly could be accomplished with just eighty units or so. The key would be carrier-based air power, a pair of blitz commandos...and a healthy few dozen good old-fashioned cavalry.

The key, naturally, is taking New Xerxes; I'm going to safely assume that with bombers flying out of Summerside and its tundra airfield forts that won't be much of a problem at all. Then, we begin to land. Commando tanks can take out both Essen and Riole if sufficient fighter support can be pushed; Riole's ugly 80% borders falling opens up a number of interesting tactical possibilities, including but not limited to pushing out combat settlers north for beachheads further along the North German coast.
[Image: m41ACmPburBqjMILHbnyt8A.jpg]
But best of all, two movers travelling along the rails can just reach the Dread Stack. A few tanks can clear away the top-defender artillery with ease; then all that is left are some three dozen cannons...which melt away like butter under the hot knife of cavalry; flanking damage should mean only twenty should have to get there to COMPLETELY WIPE OUT THE DREAD STACK.

Style points then hit infinity. shades Game is won by Canada for sheer awesomeness.

After this game I suspect that there will be a lot more evidence for modern era unit balance.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(June 16th, 2014, 16:57)Krill Wrote: After this game I suspect that there will be a lot more evidence for modern era unit balance.
I'm sure, this is all rather new. We've seen it only few places before, and never really as evenly matched as this conflict, I think. One general observation? It's actually...pretty decently balanced. The toolkits are huge on both sides, but the defender has some amazing options and Artillery on rails make land defense pretty dang solid.

Looking forward to making this more uneven with fighters and bombers, of course...

Very interesting. Thanks for the update. popcorn

Need a list of six-dollar adjectives for the carrier names?