As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

What do we want to extend the timer to? If it's to 24 hours (i.e. 30ish real hours?), I don't mind. Anythign beyond that, and the game will start slowing down too much I'm afraid

The game has been progressing nicely until this weekend, and I don't think a couple of troubled turns mean that we need a large increase of the timer

If we extend by very much we will miss the daily turn roll that has seemed to work so well around the same hour (give or take) each day. I think it might be better to play as usual and then have players pause to preserve time on the clock when it drops under ~8h if there are still more than half of the players remaining to play on a given turn. There are enough people around that unpausing a diplo freeze isn't too difficult usually.

I don't want to change the daily turn roll by a significant margin each day, that results in delays every x# days depending on how much later the turn rolls each day. I also don't want to encourage slower play (oh, I still have 16 hours psshaww).

(July 30th, 2014, 10:48)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote: If we extend by very much we will miss the daily turn roll that has seemed to work so well around the same hour (give or take) each day. I think it might be better to play as usual and then have players pause to preserve time on the clock when it drops under ~8h if there are still more than half of the players remaining to play on a given turn. There are enough people around that unpausing a diplo freeze isn't too difficult usually.

I don't want to change the daily turn roll by a significant margin each day, that results in delays every x# days depending on how much later the turn rolls each day. I also don't want to encourage slower play (oh, I still have 16 hours psshaww).

dito
Fear cuts deeper than swords.

Caledorn, is there a chance one of the updates changed the game server's firewall config? If you're having a different (worse) experience simply connecting via your LAN connection to the pitboss instance that's definitely an indication of some kind of problem. Do you play on the same machine that hosts the game or from a separate device? Is the pitboss server a VM or running on a physical host?

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Went to first page of lurker thread thinking it was IT thread. Backed out after 2 seconds when I realized it wasn't the OP I was looking for. Didn't read anything.

Completed: PB 28, PBEM 55, PB 18, PBEM 60, some other stuff, PB 2

I went one better and posted in the lurker thread... No idea what preceded my post, I meant to post here. Just asked if anybody wanted to play Zanths turn.
I have to run.

If only one person can practically be in the game at once, I don't know that we can roll a turn in 24 hours. At this point in the game 30-45 minutes is pretty normal to spend on a turn, and if you multiply that out we'll be over 24 hours soon. So maybe we just have to accept a 2-day timer now, unless we can resolve this bouncing issue?

There is no reason why multiple people cannot be in the game at the same time; due to the Network Address Translation used in the MP setup the main problems that cause the problems are the necessary portysd not being forwarded. What we need is one specific, functional, peice of literature guidance to explain to each prson what to do with their router to enable multiple people to play the turn at the same time.

People will still bounce, turn splits will still exist, but if people sharing the same split in different parts of the map can play at the same time, then we can hit 1 turn a day. The largest issue is making sure that people that would normally play close to the turn roll play the turn last, which is actually a problem with other players trying to camp the second "half" of the timer.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(July 30th, 2014, 14:08)novice Wrote: I went one better and posted in the lurker thread... No idea what preceded my post, I meant to post here. Just asked if anybody wanted to play Zanths turn.

If you dare leave me with sole responsibility for PB18 Babylon I will hunt you down and chain you to a PC, with the civ alias hardcoded to read "Krill".
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Sure, if we could all get port forwarding working and magic ponies, we could keep up the turn pace. Or alternatively get back into the state we were at a couple of weeks ago where we could routinely play with 1-2 other people in the game at the same time. Is there reason to believe that firewall or router settings on our player machines would even help this issue? Given that other people can connect to me in other games besides this one, and in this game until now...