As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Thank you, Noble and xenu! You have definitely confirmed that a gamespy server is involved in the NAT negotiations. It seems logical to me that those natneg1 etc addresses probably were involved in those NAT Cookie negotiations I saw in the logs from Civ.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Game reloaded. I am pausing it now.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Damn. I'm at work now, it'll be about ten or eleven hours until my play window comes back around.

If someone can play for me I can do gchat instructions during the play session, perhaps. LP's heroics are admirable but it would be better for anyone else to sub this turn for me if we can't wait for me to play myself, lest LP be at war with himself. I don't know if LP's doublethink training is far enough ingrained to safely play both sides. You need doubleplusgood doublethink to pull that off. lol

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Why did we reload?
Completed:  PBEM 34g (W), 36 , 35 , 5o, 34s, 5p, 42, 48 and PB 9, 18, 27, 57

Current:  PB 52.  Boudicca of Maya

(August 1st, 2014, 08:34)AutomatedTeller Wrote: Why did we reload?

(July 31st, 2014, 21:25)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: lol Um, btw....I need a reload smile Looks like LP forgot to pause when he played for TBS and me, Oxy, and (maybe) Bacchus missed the turn.

Combination of short play window (war split, by the time LP was able to play the rival civ's turn there was like an hour left pin the clock) and I missed it because I wasn't looking at the portal in the hour after he played. I'm not sure why Oxy/Bacchus missed the turn but they'll get a second chance at it, it seems.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=7117

[TECH] Unified announcement thread for Pitbosses hosted by Caledorn

If somebody is online and at their civ computer, contact me on chat (mynick.rb at gmail) so we can try logging in together. I'd like to monitor my network while I'm bouncing.
I have to run.

novice is testing together with me now.

About the gamespy servers etc. The netlogs from Civ that I posted earlier have these lines:

[9572.093] DBG: Adding active connection-level player info for NetID 2
[9572.093] DBG: Setting NetID 2 PUBLIC address to 24.21.120.77:2056
[9572.093] DBG: Setting NetID 2 PRIVATE address to 192.168.1.4:2056
[9572.093] DBG: Sending welcome to NetID 2, assigning RandID 1715416577!
[9572.109] DBG: Adding NetID 2 to Portal!
[9572.328] DBG: Got a NAT Cookie request for RandID 54534074 (NetID 1)
[9572.328] DBG: Instigating NAT Connection with Cookie 1052526501
[9572.328] DBG: Sending NAT Cookie Response to player ID 2: Cookie=1052526501
[9572.328] DBG: Sending NAT Cookie Command to player ID 1: Cookie=1052526501

[9613.265] WRN: Our connection to NetID 2 was closed remotely
[9613.265] DBG: Removing connection-level player info for NetID 2 (state=2)

I bolded the lines that I suspect is relevant to the gamespy servers. So what I suspect we need to figure out is what the gamespy servers responded to those cookie-requests, and how we can emulate it. If we are able to do that and make a replica server that can handle it, I will be able to host a service (which I can host on a 24/7 hosting service I am using - not at home) for everyone to use as replacement for the gamespy servers.

So are those logs from before the gamespy servers were shut down, Caledorn?
I have to run.

(August 1st, 2014, 11:51)novice Wrote: So are those logs from before the gamespy servers were shut down, Caledorn?

No, I am afraid not.