As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

This page looks like it could contain useful information and/or tools.
http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers.htm#gsproto

EDIT: It appears there should be full-fledged open source gamespy protocol implementations available:
http://restartreplay.com/pc/saving-whats...lefield-2/
I have to run.

I didn't miss the turn, as far as I recall -- I played around 0100 today. Replaying now.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

I think this is worth taking a look at, it's another gaming community's open-source gamespy replacement.
https://github.com/AncientMan2002/PRMasterServer
I have to run.

(August 1st, 2014, 08:19)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Damn. I'm at work now, it'll be about ten or eleven hours until my play window comes back around.

If someone can play for me I can do gchat instructions during the play session, perhaps. LP's heroics are admirable but it would be better for anyone else to sub this turn for me if we can't wait for me to play myself, lest LP be at war with himself. I don't know if LP's doublethink training is far enough ingrained to safely play both sides. You need doubleplusgood doublethink to pull that off. lol

Ok, so basically it looks like Xenu is now the last to play (at least as far as I can see, since I still can't see the top of the scoreboard in-game...can we PLEASE get that fixed at some point?) and it is paused with 37 minutes left on the clock.
11 hours from when he posted this about 6 hours from now.

Here's a description of how NAT negotiation worked in Gamespy and why it existed.
https://web.archive.org/web/201303180338...ll_Support
(Accessed through the wayback machine)

Reading it, it appears that NAT negotiation is used if the users have failed to set up port mapping (which I believe is the same thing as port forwarding) on their routers. I know I haven't done that, and I didn't bounce before (presumably due to the NAT negotiation feature). If I were to set up port forwarding I might be able to do without NAT negotiation though, at least as long as I was only connecting to other users who had also set up port forwarding.

So we might be able to get some concurrency going again if everybody configured port forwarding on their routers.
I have to run.

(August 1st, 2014, 16:33)novice Wrote: Here's a description of how NAT negotiation worked in Gamespy and why it existed.

Reading it, it appears that NAT negotiation is used if the users have failed to set up port mapping (which I believe is the same thing as port forwarding) on their routers. I know I haven't done that, and I didn't bounce before (presumably due to the NAT negotiation feature). If I were to set up port forwarding I might be able to do without NAT negotiation though, at least as long as I was only connecting to other users who had also set up port forwarding.

So we might be able to get some concurrency going again if everybody configured port forwarding on their routers.

I live on a college campus and do not manage my network, so I can't enact any changes. Would this plan work if MOST players configured port forwarding and those who were unable to make any changes to settings would just be the pariahs who bounced everyone all the time? This would still leave the pariah players like me unable to receive a diplo-freeze rescue log in, but other than that the game pace would improve over the current situation for the majority of players who can effect router changes.

Or would this require unanimous implementation to work?

(August 1st, 2014, 16:33)novice Wrote: Here's a description of how NAT negotiation worked in Gamespy and why it existed.

I believe people need to change the port they use to connect in their civ4 ini file for this to work. We need a map of who's using what port too then to avoid people using the same port. Also, the whole range of ports probably need to be forwarded (including the actual game ports), so a full negotiation is possible.

Example:

Server is on port 2058, player 1 has modified his ini file to play on port 2071, player 2 has modified his ini file to play on port 2072. Both players have forwarded ports 2056 (which is necessary no matter what), 2058, 2071 and 2072 in both their routers, and I as the host have forwarded the ports in my router.

It's worth a try!
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

I just gave my gaming PC a dedicated IP address inside my lan network. I have set up port forwarding for 2056-2065 to that IP address. It seems like I should also forward some other ports (as per Cale above) as well as editing my civ.ini file (snip below). Anything else?

Code:
; NetComm Port
Port = 2056
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

So we are waitin for xenu or did he finish earlier already?
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I'm logging in to play now.

Edit: pwnd by the diplo screen twice. BGN is going to unpause for me.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon