As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

(August 15th, 2014, 06:42)yuris125 Wrote: The hotel I booked was chosen for costing £25 a night, not for having wi-fi and other essentials

If you absolutely cannot wait for me to play the turn on Monday, LP can go ahead and play my turn. But I believe I don't request pauses excessively often, don't delay playing the turn, don't abuse the turn timer, I warned about needing a pause a week in advance... honestly, I don't know what else I needed to do to get a pause. Unless we're operating a strict no pause policy, which I was not aware of

I'm not saying no pauses - just is there any chance you can organise with your war opponent so that we don't need the pause? (Also well done on the weeks notice - I totally missed your original post tongue.)

I'd hope with 48 hour turns (which looks like the preference from our poll) that pauses would be very rare and as in your case probably only for a couple of hours or so.

(August 15th, 2014, 07:30)Krill Wrote: ...Anyone want to start a new game?

Torroid or Big & Small?

Torusworld, 8-12 players, Classical era start (edited for 1 settler, 1 archer, 1 scout and 2 workers, so 1 more worker than usual), RtR 2.0.7.1?

Inland Oceans 44% water, 10% peaks, scattered improvements (1/10 tiles), about 100 tiles wide, 44 tiles tall? Vary slightly for number of players? And snake pick?
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(August 15th, 2014, 07:30)Krill Wrote: ...Anyone want to start a new game?

Wait, I need a few more turns to let loose my Giant Death Robots! I'm sooooo close to winning this!!!! 1 twirl

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

...dude, not saying stop this one. But if it's going to take more than a year to finish from here on out, might as well do something else with the spare time between turns.

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(August 15th, 2014, 08:18)Krill Wrote: Torusworld, 8-12 players, Classical era start (edited for 1 settler, 1 archer, 1 scout and 2 workers, so 1 more worker than usual), RtR 2.0.7.1?

Inland Oceans 44% water, 10% peaks, scattered improvements (1/10 tiles), about 100 tiles wide, 44 tiles tall? Vary slightly for number of players? And snake pick?

Not sure if serious or trolling....wink

Obviously we'd have to agree to concede to the LP substitute collective first. Quickly, before it becomes self aware!eek

Edit: cross posted with Krill because I type slowly on my phone.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Well, when this is one and done there will be enough room for a couple games; hell, I'll mapmake Krill's if needed...

...after 22 fills:
(August 14th, 2014, 21:01)Commodore Wrote:
(August 14th, 2014, 01:19)GermanJojo Wrote: Looks like my condition of "starting at the earliest in late August" is not going to be a problem after all...
We're not time sensitive. I'm going to bet more PB18'ers start trickling in to avoid the rush, soon.
Trickle in! Avoid the rush!
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Trying to be serious for a moment, but if there are a lot of people that are finding they have free time from PB18 and want to play more civ, then making PB18.5 is probably not a dumb idea.

Is the game down? I'm timing out on "Contacting host".

EDIT: Ah, yes:
(August 15th, 2014, 10:00)Caledorn Wrote: All games are down due to yet another thunderstorm. Since I am volunteering on a TedX event today, I will not be able to get the games up again for 9 hours. Enjoy the break!
I have to run.

Caledorn's location: Optimal for creating monsters while screaming "IT'S ALIVE!" Slightly less so for hosting computer stuff.

Pitboss Eighteen:
[Image: to4dhtnz3af5ysmdmhle.gif]
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(August 15th, 2014, 06:42)yuris125 Wrote: The hotel I booked was chosen for costing £25 a night, not for having wi-fi and other essentials

If you absolutely cannot wait for me to play the turn on Monday, LP can go ahead and play my turn. But I believe I don't request pauses excessively often, don't delay playing the turn, don't abuse the turn timer, I warned about needing a pause a week in advance... honestly, I don't know what else I needed to do to get a pause. Unless we're operating a strict no pause policy, which I was not aware of

I sincerely appreciate your effort to notify us in advance and I am not opposed to the occasional pause under certain circumstances where the pause cannot be avoided (ie, Caledorn has a thunderstorm and the timing is all out of whack for players to play in a normal time slot, etc). My position is not taken specifically with regards to you or this individual request. Rather, it is aiming at a broadly based policy where we do not pause the game for extended periods of time, which this would entail. Regardless of whether the pause is necessary for you, it delays the game for the rest of the players for that duration, and I think that is unnecessary for this game. This is not PB19 where it's cutting edge play by the most competitive players. This was oriented as a more recreational game-- have some fun, you won't win just by skill because neighbors, land isn't totally balanced, etc-- so have some fun with it and keep fun for yourself and everyone else at the forefront of your decision-making. Extended pauses somewhat spoil the fun for me, and I suspect I'm not the only one, though I am almost certainly the most vocal. If it helps, I'll change my avatar to a picture of the Lorax (I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees).

(August 15th, 2014, 07:22)Mardoc Wrote: I signed up for a 33-player game, and the Boldly camp seems to be here for the 33-player game.

Those seem like axioms to me, not arguments, though. I can't see any way to persuade you to change your priorities, anyway.

If I have a camp, I'd love for someone else to chime in with their thoughts. If I'm the only one who feels this way, everyone can tell me to shut up and I will and maybe me and OH will just PBEM dual until this thing gets going again.

I really don't mean to make a big deal out of this, but my understanding during setup was that extended pauses would kill the game and should be avoided. No one player should cause 30 something others to have to wait for very long. I don't delay staff meetings for the last person to arrive because I'm wasting time for so many people when I do. This feels the same way to me. (Again, yuris, please don't feel singled out in this case. If it was Xenu, I'd feel the same way and probably would just be rude in saying it).