As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

(November 1st, 2014, 21:01)GermanJojo Wrote: I'm not sure about AI civs, but I'm fairly sure that a.) Barbs actually act at the start of the turn, i.e. immediately after it rolls, and b.) turning over a civ to the AI will immediately cause a cease fire with any civ at war with the now-AI civ. At least, when Dhal went over to the AI the first time, I got a forced cease-fire that annoyingly forced a galley of mine back out of his borders. It sounds like something like that might happen to BGN this time around too.

I logged in and did not have a forced cease-fire. I'm good on that point at least.

Myki will need a replacement for the next two weeks, whilst he is off gallivanting in Pacific isles. Apparently, the play would mostly involve hitting Enter. Perhaps a replacement to AI is also possible.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

Just had a weird bug where I logged in, went through the Transferring Game Data to Hard Disk load, then went through the loading game into memory ... and it just stuck on Finishing. Took out the phone, checked the IT thread for messages about stuff being down: nothing.

Went to the game tracker page and it said I hasn't even looked in yet (!)

Now I'm trying a second time and getting stuck on Finishing again. At least the game tracker shows me as having logged in this time
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

That the game can take a while on the Finishing part has been reported a few times by various people. Usually it's just taking time, and you will eventually be logged in if you just wait - but it shouldn't hurt the game in any way if you decide it's taken too long and you want to retry logging in (thanks to the port sniffer that kills connections that are kept open).

The Portal I'm not sure about unless you happened to log in at the EXACT same time as someone else, which is highly unlikely..
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Yeah, this is the first time I've encountered that. I went and did some household errands and found i'm in now
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(November 5th, 2014, 01:16)pindicator Wrote: Yeah, this is the first time I've encountered that. I went and did some household errands and found i'm in now

I'm not really sure why it happens. I've even had it happen myself. But as long as it doesn't hinder the game play in any other way than having us wait a few minutes every now and then, I'm not going to spend a lot of time trying to figure out the reasons. If it becomes a regular issue that happens all the time and we have to wait like that on a regular basis however, I will dedicate time to try to figure out what is going on.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

My interpretation/guess has been that this happens when someone else is joining the game at the same time and one needs to wait until the other player has connected (in the same way as you can't move units/switch tiles when someone is connecting). This is based on my very limited empirical observations, but I thought I might just throw the idea..
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

(November 5th, 2014, 07:14)Fintourist Wrote: My interpretation/guess has been that this happens when someone else is joining the game at the same time and one needs to wait until the other player has connected (in the same way as you can't move units/switch tiles when someone is connecting). This is based on my very limited empirical observations, but I thought I might just throw the idea..

This is the most typical reason. In a map this big the waiting time can be very long and there might be even more than 1 player logging in at the same time.

That may actually explain why the portal didn't register the first login, so that sounds very plausible.

That was my thought as well, and why I went to the portal webpage to see if that was the case. But it didn't register anybody as logging in or being logged in at that time.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player