As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

Wait, so I'm confused, when did this become SMEG-mod discussion?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Just realized I made a small error in my script, which gave the baseline the CH's +50% modifier. It doesn't change too much, actually.

corrected plot of CH with +50% yield:

[Image: ATnA1sy.png]

corrected plot of CH with +100% yield:

[Image: aDlN3kJ.png]

and here's what CH at 50% yield and Merc at high upkeep, assuming the upkeep difference will be something like 0.5gpt per citizen (I have no idea how accurate that is, btw, since I can't load PB22 right now to check)

[Image: eOnkmcr.png]

looks like making merc high upkeep is good enough...

Code:
% +5% for each point of population of the From city over 10
% +25% if the city From is connected to its capital
% +50% if the city From has a harbor
% +100% if the city From has the Temple of Artemis
% +100% if the city To is on another continent
% for foreign To city, +100% if it is on another continent and the From city has a customs house
% for foreign To city, +3% per turn (up to a max of 150%) since the last war between civs owning To and From

close all;
clear all;

c = ['r'  'k'  'b'];

pop = [10:22];
routes = [4:6];
h = [0 1 1];
ch = [0 0 1];
h_bonus = 0.5;
ch_bonus = 0.5;
ict_bonus = 1.0;
cap_bonus = 0.25;
peace_bonus = 1.5;
fm_multiplier = 1.25;

extra_upkeep_per_cit = 0.5;

popmod = (pop-10)*0.05;
fpopmod = pop/10;

% set to 1 if we want to say the 1 hammer per coast from breakwater is equiv to 1 commerce
% otherwise the hammer is ignored
include_hammers = 1;

% base route yield is 3 routes (base + currency + corp) plus two free rep scientists from mercantalism
route_total_base = 12; % the two scientists
for i=[1:routes(1)-1]
    routemod = cap_bonus + (h_bonus*h(1)) + (ch_bonus*ch(1)) + ict_bonus + peace_bonus + popmod;
    route_total_base = route_total_base + floor(routemod.*fpopmod);
end

route_total_base = route_total_base - extra_upkeep_per_cit*pop;

figure;
hold on;

% calculate the additional commerce from trade routes
% first iteration is just free market (red), second iteration is FM+Harbor (black), then finally FM+Harbor+CH. (blue)
% then calculate the number of quay+breakwater coast tiles we'd need to work to bring in the same much income
% negative values mean that quay+breakwater is always better for a city of this size
for r=routes
    x = r - routes(1) + 1;
    route_total = 0;
    routemod = cap_bonus + (h_bonus*h(x)) + (ch_bonus*ch(x)) + ict_bonus + peace_bonus + popmod;
    for i=[1:r]
        route_total = route_total + floor(routemod.*fpopmod);
    end

route_difference = (floor(fm_multiplier*route_total) - route_total_base);
    num_of_equiv_coast = route_difference/(2+include_hammers);

plot(pop, num_of_equiv_coast, c(x), 'LineWidth', 2);
end

xlabel('city population');
ylabel('number of quay+breakwater coast to generate same income');
legend('base FM', 'FM+H', 'FM+H+CH');

Leading question or...?
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(June 2nd, 2015, 14:47)Commodore Wrote: Wait, so I'm confused, when did this become SMEG-mod discussion?

seems like krill wants to add these buildings to RtR too...

So merc high cost, harbour 1 tr and CH 1tr and 50% tr yield increase?

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(June 2nd, 2015, 14:49)Krill Wrote: Leading question or...?
Actually sincere. Don't know when the Rubicon got forded, but you're off the reservation at this point.

I figured that once we started using a mod that was designed for 5 player pbems to run games with over thirty players all bets were off. Also I'm finally willing to remove the word minimalistic from the mod description.

(June 2nd, 2015, 15:02)Krill Wrote: I figured that once we started using a mod that was designed for 5 player pbems to run games with over thirty players all bets were off. Also I'm finally willing to remove the word minimalistic from the mod description.
Understand, and the weird Civ4.5 hybrid that is treehugger mod seems well thought out...but I'd think that something with 30+ players will need minimalism or at least obviously-BtS-DNA for the wide audience. All civs and most leaders will get picked, after all!

That is why all the other shit like the religion changes aren't included. OTOH a building that gives +1 commerce to coastal tiles enables better FIN balance by re-enabling river commerce. The custom house and harbour changes are implemented as buffs to already present buildings. The breakwater is there to provide a final balance lever.

(June 2nd, 2015, 14:54)Krill Wrote: So merc high cost, harbour 1 tr and CH 1tr and 50% tr yield increase?

yeah, seems like the best way to balance things while still giving the player choice and reason to specialize their cities