As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 27 IT and Tech Issues Thread

(September 18th, 2015, 21:15)HitAnyKey Wrote:
(September 18th, 2015, 19:34)Cheater Hater Wrote: I wish there was a way to promote checking in once in each 24 hour period, even if it isn't necessarily once every 24 hours. Something like:
1. The turn rolls at 12:00 AM Pacific (an arbitrary choice) by default if there are people left to play
2. The turn only rolls if at least 24 hours have elapsed in the current turn (maybe slightly less)
3. If all players have played, the turn still rolls, and if multiple turns roll in a 24 hour period, you can still get ahead of the 1-turn-per-day turnpace

I admit there's a ton of problems with this--the "arbitrary" choice of time ideally would when no one would play normally (a near-impossibility), it doesn't handle turn splits, and there's the obvious challenge of implementing it--but it's just an idea that feels less-punishing while keeping the turn roll at a consistent time. Of course, the other option is to make the turn timer a week or something, but expect that the lurkers will play turns after 24 hours...

I just don't really understand what the problem is though. Turns for PB games have never rolled consistently at even close to the same time very day. And that's why we have civstats. Not only do you get an email when the turn rolls (which basically is the first warning that you have until that time the following day to get your turn played), but we should all have the ability to check the civstats website at various times during the day, even if we can't necessarily play the turn at that time. So if, for example, you normally play your turn in the evening after work and the turn rolls just as you are going to bed you are have until the entire following evening to get your turn played. If something happens that you check civstats and you know you can't get to your civ computer by the time the turn would roll, then you simply post in the thread that you need a lurker to cover for you. Or if the turn is critical enough, and it's not for too long a period of time, then you ask for a pause.

Using my timezone (EST) looking at civstats, you typically play between 3pm & 10pm.
T24 rolled around 7am, you then played around 10pm that day.
T25 rolled around 2am, you then played around 5:30pm that day.
T26 rolled around 11pm, you then played around 5pm the next day.
T27 rolled at 9:30pm, you then played around 3pm the next day.
T28 rolled around 5:30pm, leaving you hours on both ends of your normal play window to play the turn. But based on the times most of your turns were played, doing so last night right after the turn rolled would have been best.

Just a small observation, and more directed at everyone in general. Keep an eye on civstats during the day. Most of us have smartphones and access to the internet even while at work or other such places. If you think there's a chance you might not be able to get to your turn for some reason, speak up. Silence means you are ok with the turn rolling if there aren't any lurkers around to play for you. Most won't do so until the last minute unless they are already notified you need someone to play for you, and by then it may be too late if no one is around when the timer starts to run out.
And I showed up around 5:45 (using EST for clarity), which is right around my time window--why should I be expected to keep civstats up 24/7 just in case the turn rolls 4 hours earlier than expected? Should I hold the turn for 4 extra hours to keep the turn rolling at the same time--that's been done before when people have to worry about turn splits. Do I have to explicitly say "yes, lurkers, play my turn even though that's what everyone should be expecting when they signed up for a big game", even though I actually decided to make a report and it should be obvious it was an important turn (no spoilers, but civstats makes it pretty obvious even for players)?

The problem is that you can't predict at all when the turn's going to roll--there were 4 or 5 other players left when I played the last turn, and they all apparently played within two hours--I've been the second-to-last person to play and had it go 6 more hours or be paused before it rolls. And no, the "you should get an email" isn't a catch-all for blame--I'm not signed up since there's no reason I should need an email for something that's once a day.

Does anyone really have only one window - and a small one to boot - in order to play? I expect most to be at least able to play within a bigger, some hours long, window, else I can only strongly suggest to find someone to help, because the turns will get longer and wars will start and then you will need someone to help.

Also: Sign up to civstats. Its an email, nothing more and it helps to keep you not only informed about turn rolls but also remind you that you actually have a game to play. Or live with missing your turn. But I think in general for these games, individuals should do what is best for the group, not expect the group to change just to make it easier for the individual.

CH, you can always check the tracker at some other point in the day so that you can have a better idea of when the turn will roll... one easy thing to do is just to add a link in your bookmark bar, so you don't even have to type in the url... just drag a link up there, and bam you're good to go.

[Image: wV20MHq.png]

(September 19th, 2015, 02:05)GermanJoey Wrote: CH, you can always check the tracker at some other point in the day so that you can have a better idea of when the turn will roll... one easy thing to do is just to add a link in your bookmark bar, so you don't even have to type in the url... just drag a link up there, and bam you're good to go.

[Image: wV20MHq.png]

lol My browser currently has at least three tabs open to civstats for deciphering reloads. I don't bother to close them at this point. And I'm not even playing in these games. crazyeye

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

I already have a bookmark, and I check it regularly--I think this is the first turn I've missed in any of my PBs (though is this only my third?), and of course it would be an important one tongue

Edit: For example, I just checked, and saw that it already rolled (again, about 4 hours early)--now it'll stay in my tab selection until the turn actually gets played.

I hope I'm not the only one that would like this.....but could you guys maybe stop with the constant crazy name changes? It didn't bother me at all when it was just NobleHelium doing it for his half of the turns with Serdoa, but now there are at least 3 of you doing it. And I'm sure you guys are just having fun with it, but it's more than a little annoying when looking at Civstats and stuff in the game.

You aren't the only one who finds it irritating.
Completed:  PBEM 34g (W), 36 , 35 , 5o, 34s, 5p, 42, 48 and PB 9, 18, 27, 57

Current:  PB 52.  Boudicca of Maya

I have no problem if everyone sticks to forum names.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Sorry it's been a bit of a busy weekend and I am not 100% sure I will get back in the few hours left. Could someone pause for me, I will play in max 5 hours (gotta get back from the night away) it's a turn that I kinda need to play too sorry.

(September 20th, 2015, 07:07)ReallyEvilMuffin Wrote: Sorry it's been a bit of a busy weekend and I am not 100% sure I will get back in the few hours left. Could someone pause for me, I will play in max 5 hours (gotta get back from the night away) it's a turn that I kinda need to play too sorry.

Paused for REM with 29 minutes remaining, since it by my reckoning will only be for 2 hours.
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)