As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

NobleHelium posts Hearthstone screenshots & lurkers get annoyed. Earlier: sound, fury

(March 13th, 2016, 16:15)Old Harry Wrote: Hey, aren't we all Leicester fans now anyway? hippy

I suppose we are. But I felt a little differently a month ago...

[Image: OnPaste.20160313-181812.png]
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

There's a guy named Arse2Mouse who posts regularly on the Hearthstone Subreddit...

Julius of Japan
Darius of Dutch
Joao of Carthage

I was wondering how powerful bulbs would be here - but then I realised that Scientific Method is the tech that gets bulbed by everyone but a GE.

The only thing I hate more than that ham-handed city trade rule we came up with because we can't trust people to follow the RB ethos anymore is rules lawyering in the setup, so I'm just going to bitch about it here. Its absolutely inane that if I have 50 units outside your city I can't ask for the damn city because we can't just say don't do shit like gift your civ to someone to spite them. Taking that off the table only benefits the players not warring and there are already more than enough mechanisms in Civ to promote passivity. Making the trade is good for the defender because he can regroup without losing his units and benefits the attacker for obvious reasons, but is also a real choice for obvious reasons. Dansgame

Its gotten a little quiet in here for obvious reasons - its always annoying when you sign up for a game partially because you like the player pool and then some of the players you'd like to avoid worm their way into the game. I think its pretty much sapped Noble's motivation for the game entirely and this is the part of the game where I sort of need him egging me on to be productive. (In fairness, I've also been playing a lot of PoE which probably would have been the case regardless of Noble's motivation.)

Anyway, I'm going to try and find time to do a properly extensive analysis of the choices in view of the start when I get home from work tonight.

(March 14th, 2016, 11:08)Old Harry Wrote: Julius of Japan
Darius of Dutch
Joao of Carthage

I was wondering how powerful bulbs would be here - but then I realised that Scientific Method is the tech that gets bulbed by everyone but a GE.

Hah! Excellent cross-post Harry.

I'll take a look at the saves shortly but yes, I think at this era, bulbs really aren't very good. Pretty much the only reasonable uses for GPs are GAs, to found a corporation, culture bombs, trade missions and perhaps to rush a wonder (the last is debatable since your production accelerates much faster in this era and GEs can only rush part of a wonder.)

For what it's worth, I pretty much just brought that rule over from PB27, where it's actually disabled via the mod. I have no stake in whether city trades are on or not, and looking at the specific player list for this game I feel like if players wanted to go with 'only reasonable city trades in peace deals' there wouldn't be any resulting drama. If you think it'd be good to change it then go ahead and suggest that to everyone, my feelings won't be hurt. nod

I'm just trying to facilitate things here. If it feels like I'm trying to be overly coercive, that's cause I'm trying to keep things more definitive than the setup process for PB31 and PB32 were (if you weren't following, everyone approached settings with a 'whatever is fine' attitude and that seems to have caused issues in at least one of those already), not because I'm trying to make everyone play the game a certain way against their wishes.

(March 14th, 2016, 11:22)BRickAstley Wrote: For what it's worth, I pretty much just brought that rule over from PB27, where it's actually disabled via the mod. I have no stake in whether city trades are on or not, and looking at the specific player list for this game I feel like if players wanted to go with 'only reasonable city trades in peace deals' there wouldn't be any resulting drama. If you think it'd be good to change it then go ahead and suggest that to everyone, my feelings won't be hurt. nod

I'm just trying to facilitate things here. If it feels like I'm trying to be overly coercive, that's cause I'm trying to keep things more definitive than the setup process for PB31 and PB32 were (if you weren't following, everyone approached settings with a 'whatever is fine' attitude and that seems to have caused issues in at least one of those already), not because I'm trying to make everyone play the game a certain way against their wishes.

Yeah, wasn't intended as a slight against you Brick. I'm familiar with the process that created the rule. I'm also in favor of the approach you've taken towards the setup - I watched the PB31 setup play out and basically predicted the tears that would cause. I think sometimes the players need to be saved from themselves here - a loud voice gets his way and the rest just want to play and suffer for it later.

My complaints are more how the later games have become more and more rulesy because we can't just tell the people who are more interested in getting their way than following the structure this site has had for years to go pound sand and play elsewhere. For example, someone who might think that the culture exploit is automatically in rather than automatically out. Swiftrage

I agree. I don't like it either, but it's been the best way to go, especially in mega games with tons of players. Better to just make a hard rule against things than rely on the honor code for 20-30 people at once.

I'd encourage you to bring it up in the setup thread, I'd guess that most or all of the other players in this game would feel similarly and so we could probably change that setting. But I also feel it should come from discussion you or another player start, instead of me just making the change.

Quote:(In fairness, I've also been playing a lot of PoE which probably would have been the case regardless of Noble's motivation.)

Pillars of Eternity?

Path of Exile. I, however, happen to be playing Pillars of Eternity. Doing expansion content at level 4 on PotD... Pogchamp