As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

NobleHelium posts Hearthstone screenshots & lurkers get annoyed. Earlier: sound, fury

Gaspar, you're right on Sullla's presence. I started lurking this game once I checked Sullla's website for updates. I was actually hoping to see the Civ AI Survivor, but he announced that he was playing this game, so I followed the forum and ... started reading. Fortunately, this game turned out to be really interesting.

I know you were hesitant about posting more details due to mackoti's presence. While I have no idea if this is the kind of stuff players would like to do, one option could be to have a private forum with detailed updates every turn, and then post the corresponding turn updates here on Realms Beyond, but only after a delay in the turns. Thus, if you have just finished turn 280 and have detailed screenshots, you might wait until it's turn 300 before posting the turn 280 update. That way, in the end, the spoiler thread has updates for the full game but you have less concern over other players reading spoiler threads and getting immediate feedback.

I don't like to think of it this way because then it's like one actively considers the possibility of cheating by opponents, but I suppose the reality is that there's no real way to enforce spoiler threads. Someone can easily log in using a different account, or ask a friend to log in and relay the information. It's just an honor code and while it has its weaknesses, at least on Realms Beyond for the most part it seems to be an acceptable tradeoff for the ability for lukers and (later) players to see what happened as the game progresses.

Anyway, I know this game didn't go as well as you wanted, but I'll be rooting for you in your future games. Perhaps I can even get off my Civ hiatus and ded-lurk one of these days. smile

(May 8th, 2016, 11:08)DMOC Wrote: Gaspar, you're right on Sullla's presence. I started lurking this game once I checked Sullla's website for updates. I was actually hoping to see the Civ AI Survivor, but he announced that he was playing this game, so I followed the forum and ... started reading. Fortunately, this game turned out to be really interesting.

I know you were hesitant about posting more details due to mackoti's presence. While I have no idea if this is the kind of stuff players would like to do, one option could be to have a private forum with detailed updates every turn, and then post the corresponding turn updates here on Realms Beyond, but only after a delay in the turns. Thus, if you have just finished turn 280 and have detailed screenshots, you might wait until it's turn 300 before posting the turn 280 update. That way, in the end, the spoiler thread has updates for the full game but you have less concern over other players reading spoiler threads and getting immediate feedback.

I don't like to think of it this way because then it's like one actively considers the possibility of cheating by opponents, but I suppose the reality is that there's no real way to enforce spoiler threads. Someone can easily log in using a different account, or ask a friend to log in and relay the information. It's just an honor code and while it has its weaknesses, at least on Realms Beyond for the most part it seems to be an acceptable tradeoff for the ability for lukers and (later) players to see what happened as the game progresses.

Anyway, I know this game didn't go as well as you wanted, but I'll be rooting for you in your future games. Perhaps I can even get off my Civ hiatus and ded-lurk one of these days. smile

Regarding Sullla, it is no secret I am no fan of his, mostly due his spoilt child behavior in the endgame of literally every game he's ever played here but also things like how nasty he was to Nakor (who is a great guy if a poor player) in both the PB2 and PB4 post-games as well as his stupid Mikehendi stunt, but I think its great that he can still bring fresh and returning faces to Realms Beyond - I'm for almost anything that is good for the site.

I don't really want to talk much about mackoti since I did it to death already. Honestly, I made the decision to play as though I didn't have any spoiler concerns since writing in the spoiler thread and engaging with the lurkers is probably the thing I enjoy most about playing in a game here. The impact of mackoti on the sparseness of the thread is pretty well purely that it sapped Noble's interest early on.

I guess the bottom line is, if I really cared about the game, the thread would have been the usual madcap romp of angry rants, random memes and occasional well-reasoned analysis. That it wasn't is pretty much only due to that fact. I think its probably obvious that I won't play another Civ4 game after this one because if I can't get myself up for a fresh scenario in one of the more popular games in recent history, I'm probably not going get up for anything. That said, nostalgia is a powerful draw so you never know.
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

I truly apologize to Old Harry for inviting him to lurk such an abject failure. Sorry man.

Bonus Hearthstone picture!

C'THUN BETRAYS YOU

(I got a Twilight Elder from the Shifting Shade.)

Gaspar, I'd be very interested in poe reports. I'd also try to contribute to discussion, although I'm quite bad...

(May 9th, 2016, 06:47)Miguelito Wrote: Gaspar, I'd be very interested in poe reports. I'd also try to contribute to discussion, although I'm quite bad...

I'm not that good either, but good enough, to talk about the game intelligently, I suppose.

I'm actually really surprised the game never took off at Realms Beyond. There's a real opportunity for quirky builds and such that seems like it is right up our alley.

Anyway, I suppose what I've really described here is a blog, and the last thing world needs is another narcissist writing a blog, so I suppose its a non-starter.

Well someone needs to talk about for other people to get interested. smile

Yeah I can't learn it and defeat you and talk about how bad you are if you don't talk about the game first. Kappa

(May 9th, 2016, 17:35)Tyrmith Wrote: Well someone needs to talk about for other people to get interested. smile

(May 9th, 2016, 19:14)BRickAstley Wrote: Yeah I can't learn it and defeat you and talk about how bad you are if you don't talk about the game first. Kappa

Well there is already a thread in the Diablo forum, though most of the conversation is multiple expansions ago.

Also, nobody really PvPs in an aRPG, Brick. :DansGame:

But it seems they've added a lot PvP content lately? (Which I haven't tried even)