As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

Quote:Nobody left on the inside who remember the lessons from Civ history from that far back? Or what?

Legit question actually. Other than Sid, hasn't everyone left? I mean Soren was around for civ 3, which is when the lessons of civ 2 were perhaps most well known and going through the credits I can't see anyone that I remember from the civ 4 days still around.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

I'd say it here now. For a warmonger (as I have always enjoyed being), 1 upt is not the game I am looking for. Incredibly frustrating mechanics. And as Sullla pointed out in his Civ5 review, thanks to 1upt, production has to be kept low.

So here, we have a game where not only the AI is braindead, UI is more than questionable, but science runs away while you can build only a handful of units.

I am vehemently aghainst 1upt for those reasons, but after playing Civ 4 for way to long, playing late era MP I have to say this: I want stack limits.

I just don't want them that low.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

^-- pretty much. It needs to be more geometric. 1/4/9 or something.
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

I complained to someone earlier this week that we shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel with every new civ game, but I guess Firaxis kind of does. smh
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Yeah, stack limits make some degree of sense, but it has to be at least double digits. 1UPT logjams have always irritated me, but more to the point it loses that epic feel of marching a strong army into battle.

(October 25th, 2016, 13:49)scooter Wrote: I honestly thought for awhile that the the trade route yields the amount it displays once the route is complete and for 1T only rather than per turn. The animation of them traveling deceived me. So I was left wondering what the point of the feature was if it was so weak. I also thought they would die to barbarians, so I was choosing not to send them through the fog. Comments that they're invulnerable is news to me! I'll have to try that out.

I've had a barbarian destroy a trader before, so it can definitely happen.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

Production is hammer limited quite a bit. But you can just buy win gold so a big army is easy.

Or stack hammer bonuses for units.

Incidentally, it's pretty easy to protect your traders when you mostly use internal trade. Here's an example of circumventing the slow production. The speed is Epic, and I felt like the production times for everything but the highest-tier units was very reasonable (though I could've used a policy to accelerate those times). Edit: It appears I was mistaken though, buildings don't influence trade routes it doesn't seem, just districts. At least according to the testing done on Civfanatics.

Of course, my science and cultural progress still far outstripped my production capabilities, but that was at least partially due to poor planning on my part (I unlocked the first Mars Colony part before unlocking the Moon Landing mission, but the Moon Landing mission needs to be done first). I also didn't realize that multiple spaceport districts would help me go a lot faster with launching the final parts.
Civ 6 Adventure 1 Report
Now complete!

+I like that one can move several units at the same time. Moving 4 embarked units in the same general direction make them look like a fleet.
Also like that I can enter menus during AI turns.

However, I've had a few misclicks when I ...
a. move unit 1 
b. select unit 2 
c. right click on unit 2's destination 
d. curse when game decided to instead jump to unit 3 when unit 1 was done moving, sending unit 3 to where I wanted unit 2.
...should be a small fix.

+I like that one can harvest resources for a quick boost to a city. Forests are same as in civ 4 (even though they are super-duper overpowered right now) but you can also harvest marshland or animals for a one-time food boost to a (new?) city, instantly sending it up a few sizes.. Hurts you long-term, so some choice there.

-Please tell me there is a way to access the tile-picker and see how long it takes for a city to expand to new lands. I haven't found it, and have even been looking. Some.

-Great People are dumbed down and underwhelming and only have one function.

1 UPT can be fun sometimes. However it isn't very tricky, melee in front, shooters back. And traffic jams, why not allow units to share a tile (for moevement) but suffer a -50-75% strength penalty and being unable to attack? You can move units together in a vulnerable column but need to deploy to when you hit the front lines.

Roads should be 2/3 move in medieval times. 3 moves along a road seems fine. It really IS faster to walk, jog, run on a unpaved sandy road than beside it, in the fields. I've tried.

-M
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

(October 25th, 2016, 17:34)pindicator Wrote: <...> we shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel with every new civ game, but I guess Firaxis kind of does. smh

They do have to reinvent the wheel every time. At least when it comes to the core of the game, mechanics, ways to present choices to the player. Otherwise people (possibly including ourselves, but definitely more casual players) would moan on the lines of "this is a blatant moneygrab, why is this a standalone game, it should've been a half-priced expansion or a 10%-price DLC"

What they shouldn't do is abandon good solutions found in previous versions. When it comes to UI, I honestly don't understand why they had to make so many steps backwards from Civ4. Civ5 removed the ability to place signs on maps, to choose which resources to show on the map, even the globe view. And I have difficulty understanding why. Civ6 re-added some of those features in some shape (pins, lenses), but made a step backwards in terms of clarity of the map; it may be pretty to look at, but players have trouble understanding what's going on

I don't have a problem with Firaxis adding new gameplay ideas, including 1upt. Honestly, it's not too bad, and Civ4 probably is as good a game with stacked units as we're going to get. But they don't have to change the visual stile and the way the game presents information with every new release