As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

Amusingly, I found that if you capture an English city and build an archaeological museum, it seems to be treated as benefiting from England's UA (six slots instead of three, and allowing you to build 2 archaeologists instead of 1). Weird but funny bug/feature that probably isn't actually abusable or anything.

(October 28th, 2016, 10:25)Gaspar Wrote:
Quote:This isn't Civ V's maritime city-states or selling luxuries for gold over and over. I think Civ VI is off to a good (but not great) start, and absolutely can be turned into something grand.

Well, I don't think I'd go that far.  Let's keep in mind you're looking back on the early days of Civ5 similarly - through a lense of the finished game.  I think Civ6's selling horsemen over and over is actually probably the worst early game exploit in any recent Civ game and the diplo negotiation exploit I would also classify as more game breakingly worse than lux abuse in 5.  Really anything involving gold is as or more broken than the gold exploits in 5, selling 1-charge builders is a pretty obvious and egregious oversight for example, and the guys who are hardcore exploiting all of these gold-exploits are basically buying all the AIs cities off of it for huge sums of gold than can be constantly recreated, etc.  Not to mention the no depreciation on forest/resource/whatever chops no matter how far you are from a city.  And this is just a smattering - I'm only a casual reader of reddit and CFC, if one were out looking for every hardcore exploit that shipped with game, we'd be here all day.

All these games ship buggy.  Civ6 gets credit for not shipping crashy, but I'd take the Pepsi challenge on severity of Civ6 exploits available at launch against nearly any other Civ game really. (I didn't play 1,2 or 3 at launch, I picked them all up later - and also don't think 1 or 2 can really be looked at seriously given what has change in game development in the last 20-odd years.)

As I said, they don't bother me that much personally because its easy to just not use them, but it was equally easy to not exploit lux selling in 5.  Maritime city-states is a slightly different animal, as that was a core feature that was fairly hard to avoid, but I also don't think it was on the same level as the gold exploits.

All right, fair, the deleting units balance/chopping outside territory is pretty bad. I think they'll surely change that while V's selling luxury thing never really got fixed, but I suppose it's too early to say that. I do think Maritime city-states were especially egregious in that they largely trivialized the terrain, though. It's a really bad thing for a Civ game, to make the terrain not matter.
Civ 6 Adventure 1 Report
Now complete!

Captured unique districts also still don't count towards the district limit. I didn't try building new holy sites in captured Norwegian cities that didn't have them though.

(October 28th, 2016, 19:30)Magil Wrote: [quote pid='614414' dateline='1477668314']
All right, fair, the deleting units balance/chopping outside territory is pretty bad. I think they'll surely change that while V's selling luxury thing never really got fixed, but I suppose it's too early to say that. I do think Maritime city-states were especially egregious in that they largely trivialized the terrain, though. It's a  really bad thing for a Civ game, to make the terrain not matter.

[/quote]

I think the selling luxes thing got fixed in as much as they were ever interested in having it fixed.  Not for nothing, but its still basically present in the same form as end of Civ5 in Civ6, just that here you don't notice it quite as much because there are so many ways to get gold.  For that matter, its probably worse than end of Civ5, because of the trade negotiation bug.

The terrain not mattering is a horrible thing for a Civ game, and the maritimes were awful for that, they did fix that after the early days, though.

I guess the thrust of my argument is simply that I think its easy to look at this game through rose-colored glasses because as a group, we're more ready for a new game than we were when Civ5 launched.  There was actually quite a bit of new ground left for Civ4 as a community when Civ5 launched, so when the new game wasn't as good as the old one, we simply went back and kept making that game fresh.  Now, we sort of desperately want this to be good, so we're looking past a lot of issues.

That's ok, by the way.  But I think as far as new Civ games go, this edition made a lot of the same mistakes Civ5 did at launch and I think its a good thing to point them out (though honestly, probably not here - I feel pretty comfortable the Civ6 dev's aren't reading along here - reddit is probably where they're getting their feedback, if anywhere) because maybe it increases the possibility of them being fixed.  I think Civ5 probably was a better game than most gave it credit for being but it still had the feeling of the game plays you.  This is deeper and richer, but its just as rough around the edges.  Here's hoping they care enough about making the best game they can.
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

(October 28th, 2016, 20:03)Gaspar Wrote: it still had the feeling of the game plays you.  This is deeper and richer, but its just as rough around the edges.  Here's hoping they care enough about making the best game they can.

In Soviet Russia, game plays you!
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

(October 28th, 2016, 18:08)greenline Wrote: Interestingly, I saw a thread from RB referenced in a non RB made Civ 6 review. 

Hah, yeah I saw that too. Crazy!

Got a link?

Edit: I'm sticking with the excuse of a hungover Saturday morning and 10 posts per page.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

This is annoying. I like doing the cultural victory, but the domination and space one is too tedious to do. Space takes forever, while domination gives you so many penalties in warmongering penalties + theological loophole that i gave up. Trying theological now on a tiny map so that I don't die micromanaging apostles.

(October 22nd, 2016, 14:48)yuris125 Wrote: This is too good

Did you see the hidden picture in Gandhi's diplo page?

(October 23rd, 2016, 11:52)AdrienIer Wrote: Unlike civ 5 it has the potential for greatness. Things cost so much in the late game compared to your production output that I started getting a civ 5 feeling of "I'm not doing anything I'm just looking at the numbers add up" but if prod costs were lower it would be different.

How are you utilizing your industrial zones?  You can have IZ's from multiple cities boosting your cities production output...

(October 29th, 2016, 11:57)E_T Wrote: Did you see the hidden picture in Gandhi's diplo page?

What hidden picture? smile