As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

I gather there's a plan to do away with the Electoral College and elect based on popular vote only. No idea if it will come to fruition, has about 60% of the support it needs so far.

Democrats having lost twice to the electoral college system these past 16 years will probably make it a priority

lmao the GOP controls all 3 branches of government, they're not doing away with it any time soon

and because trump is a lazy sack of shit he'll sign any piece of legislation that ryan throws on his desk

The world has to hold on for four years.

Related to this, I think LA has just lost its 2024 olympics bid. Paris vs Rome suits me fine so yay I guess ?

Edit : I forgot that Rome withdrew its bid. So LA vs Paris vs Budapest only. Double yay ??

Getting rid of the electoral college is down to the states, not the federal government. I'm sure they'll have lots of trouble getting the last bit of support all the same, though.

IIRC there are a few states that have signed a charter to change it. They represent something like 180 EVs and if enough states sign it (states that make up for 270EVs) the states that signed the charters pledged to send electors for the candidate who won the popular vote. That means that if enough states sign it by 2020 the electoral college system will be effectively gone.

(November 9th, 2016, 04:09)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: lmao the GOP controls all 3 branches of government, they're not doing away with it any time soon

and because trump is a lazy sack of shit he'll sign any piece of legislation that ryan throws on his desk

lol scratch that, ryans out, no one likes a snitch

on one hand (white) americans should be reassured that they wont cut medicare and social security, on the other hand trump isnt going to raise taxes on the wealthy to pay for any of his spending

(November 9th, 2016, 04:09)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: lmao the GOP controls all 3 branches of government, they're not doing away with it any time soon

yeah, expect laws in the next four years that make it much harder for blacks, latinos, asians, jews and women to vote. Expect lese majesty. Expect the republicans (who know their constituency is dying) to do everything in their power to permanently rig the system in their favour (starting in 2000).
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

(November 9th, 2016, 03:44)AdrienIer Wrote: Democrats having lost twice to the electoral college system these past 16 years will probably make it a priority

I mean, it would be a good strategy. That makes large city populations much more valuable, since you're able to reach more people easier, and large cities pretty much always lean more democrat, at least compared to rural areas.

Also it means all campaigning would switch from our current swing states to just the biggest states. 50 state union, but the most populous 9 states hold over half of the citizens. Basically if you aren't in a top 15 state you won't really matter anymore.

Currently though that holds true for whoever isn't in one of the top 15 swingiest states anyway. neenerneener

I'm waiting that the pacific coast and New England declare their secession.