As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

(February 22nd, 2017, 03:39)antisocialmunky Wrote: Looks like that's a Civ6 update coming out soon, Australia Civ + Updates + Better Mod Support.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vie...6960&pid=1
https://civilization.com/news/entries#ci...-australia

Seeing as Firaxis' most recent effort at modability was to drop the game from Steam Workshop, I'd be interested in seeing how much modding the new patch will allow.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

It's not dropped from Steam Workshop. It has never been on Steam Workshop. It will be on Steam Workshop once this update is rolled out, it's one of the few specific features that have been announced for this update.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

The new patch is up now. From a quick skim through the patch notes, it seems like the mod tools are out now.

Two balance changes stand out:
Quote:Commercial Hub and Harbor both provide +1 Trade Route capacity, but only the first one applies (used to stack for +2 capacity total).

This one should not affect inland cities, but it's big nerf to trade route capacity for cities that are on the coast. Even less of an incentive to build a harbor now.
Quote:Players can now build obsoleted units if they do not have access to the strategic resource required by the upgrade unit.

This should've been in the game from the start, but it's good that this is fixed. Before, you could lock yourself out of units if you advanced too fast in the tech without having iron etc.

(February 23rd, 2017, 23:11)teh Wrote: The new patch is up now. From a quick skim through the patch notes, it seems like the mod tools are out now.

Two balance changes stand out:
Quote:Commercial Hub and Harbor both provide +1 Trade Route capacity, but only the first one applies (used to stack for +2 capacity total).

This one should not affect inland cities, but it's big nerf to trade route capacity for cities that are on the coast. Even less of an incentive to build a harbor now.
Quote:Players can now build obsoleted units if they do not have access to the strategic resource required by the upgrade unit.

This should've been in the game from the start, but it's good that this is fixed. Before, you could lock yourself out of units if you advanced too fast in the tech without having iron etc.

These steps needed to be done, I didn't have anything to say (Firaxis was a bit clumsy and made the harbor suck usually) and so I just dumped a picture of Blair Walsh in. I'm still bitter.

So, reading the notes, they gave trade routes a serious nerf in that the number available is cut significantly, barbarians are even nastier, and they added several new tech prerequisites to nerf beelines.

I don't understand what this game wants to be. Every patch makes it play more slowly and strips away the tools which made sprawling empires true powerhouses (massed trade routes, overlapping factories and entertainment districts). It's like they're trying to force all of us to work on the same level as their shitty AI, squatting in a small number of undeveloped cities while barbarians trample our empires.

I was trying to get back into the game, but I might be done now. Things should not be getting worse six months after release, especially given the state it released in.

They need to nerf everything like crazy in order to stop the game from spiraling out of control like AoW3. Stacking trade routes and beelines are too strong for what the game wants to be. You could let it spiral out of control but then it would become more like a tactical wargame than civ. Civ3&5 had a hard cap of useful cities and civ4 cheated on the math while Civ6 just nukes everything and throws up speed bumps.

Barbarians being even nastier is a bit too much though (even the AI has trouble dealing with them with their combat bonuses and extra starting units).

Hmm, the Harbour - Commercial change feels like a bit stupid to me as well.

(February 24th, 2017, 01:27)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: They need to nerf everything like crazy in order to stop the game from spiraling out of control like AoW3.

Isn't this comparison kind of backwards? AoW3's patches tossed out unit buffs and nerfed the AI, which was so tough that people complained when the game was first released. That's like the reverse of what Civ VI is doing... well, except Civ VI isn't buffing its AI much, just crippling the human player because the computer is too stupid to mass trade routes or build overlapping factories.

I was talking about mr. snowball getting too big too fast. Like getting way too much gold. If they let the snowball be what it is you'd be so pressed so hard to go to war because even a small lead is a huge deal. Such a game would feel more like a strategic AoW not Civ.

I'm talking about the in-game economic system not how the game actually plays with the weak AI. With the weak AI the best play is to always steal their stuff and own before the game even really begins (not possible on Deity but sometimes you die with nothing you can do about it so you need luck to win there anyway).

At the start of AoW3 tier 4 units were too strong and easy to use and spam. So the AI looked very powerful because it's good at spamming (mr. Shrine of Smiting's self-stacking damage-bonuses is the poster boy for this). Once that got fixed the AI looked far worse.

I don't know about the patches, man!

Everytime you have wrapped your head around the meta they throw a wrench in there and make it even harder for you to play.
Harbor and Commercial District are meant for each other from their adjacency bonuses alone, why show us all these nice districts than discourage us from building them with every new patch.

I don't think it is a good sign, when you dread the next patch, because you're afraid what they're gonna f** up this time.