As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

(March 1st, 2017, 13:56)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: If Le Pen actually wins it shows how silly the two-round system is and that France should have sucked up NF winning a few seats.

The two round system is absolutely horrible, barely better than the one round system (FPTP). All the important candidates in this election except Fillon (I think) want to reform our constitution for more proportional representation in parliament. And some of them want to get rid of the presidential system altogether.

(March 1st, 2017, 04:56)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: please reassure me that you guys aren't going to elect another fascist clown into office

I see a clown, but not a fascist

(March 1st, 2017, 13:56)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: I'm pretty sure that Krill would say that only Labour and Tories matter now and that the Tories are much saner than Labour. I think putting someone who is totally unelectedable as your leader (May has a 40%+ lead when the question is phrased as her versus Corbyn) is much worse than having one "nutcase" who was BSing it anyway (just see his lame Brexit-victory speech). 

If Corbyn had any way of putting across his policies and ideals in any sort of coherent manner, then he'd have c.60% of the country agreeing with him. Opinion polls have consistently shown over the last ten and more years that the UK population at large is to the left of both main parties when it comes to substantive questions on policy, with the sole exception of immigration.

It is a combination of, firstly Corbyn's on ineptitude both as communicator and political leader, and secondly Nu-Liebor's intransigence in not letting the social democrat wing of the party implement their policies after two landslide victories that is causing Labour to be so far behind Theresa May.

Frankly, if somebody with a bit of media savvy emerged from the left of Labour, the tories would be in severe trouble the next few years.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

A new left party won't work for next election cycle due to vote splitting. If Labour keeps this up they will be replaced though and at that point May will have overextended so much that the new party will almost surly win.

good job the dutch, one less fascist to worry about

Thank God and Jesus and Allah that Le Pen lost, by 30 points no less. One less fascist to worry about. Not that I have much confidence in Macron resolving the current crises of capitalism, before the next fascist turns up and tells everyone that their problems can be solved by eliminating Jews Chinese Japanese Muslims from their population.

Edit: It helps that Marine Le Pen was a known quantity and openly corrupt and no one could delude themselves that she was some kind of God Empress that would single handedly solve all economic and social problems.

Michel Houellebecq just nods sagely. Or I guess shrugs Gallic-ly.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Houellebecq is probably sad that no one is going to tacle the muslim invasion (or whichever delusion he's into these days).

As someone who will soon be working for the french state with almost no possibility of working abroad I'm super relieved.

Vive la France wink

In the last few days I was worried that too many might stay at home because the polls indicated Macron winning so I'm happy enough showed up to make it a clear win.

But it is only the first part next is the vote in June. I hope the FN won't get 30+% then.

(May 8th, 2017, 04:03)Rowain Wrote: Vive la France wink

In the last few days I was worried that too many might stay at home because the polls indicated Macron winning so I'm happy enough showed up to make it a clear win.

But it is only the first part next is the vote in June. I hope the FN won't get 30+% then.

Our parliamentary elections are not proportional. They mostly work like 577 mini presidential elections in the 577 electoral districts. Last time the FN got 15% in the first round and ended up with only 2 people. Even if they get 30% in the first round they'll get at most 40 people in parliament after the second round.