As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

(May 25th, 2017, 17:29)Cornflakes Wrote: The Civ 6 PBEM games have kindled an interest for me in Civ 6. I was looking to buy this and I see that Amazon is selling both the base and deluxe version digital downloads for 33% off of the Steam prices. Anybody have experience downloading games from Amazon to recommend for or against it? Also is the deluxe version worth the extra $20?

I bought Fallout 4 on Amazon and it was just a Steam Code to download it, so it worked out fine. I would assume the same for Civ 6 since you need Steam anyways. I do own the Deluxe version and I would've said it really wasn't worth it, it was maybe a savings of a couple of bucks vs the 4 LDCs. But now that they are adding a couple more to the Deluxe package, I would say it is a good deal. But it does really depend on if you want all the civs in the game and the more powerful ones are the DLCs. Also, the few scenarios I played have been fun.

@Cornflakes

Just want to say thank you for bring this up, I went to Amazon to see what other games were on sale and picked up XCOM2 Deluxe for $30 (normally $74.99). I just wanted to clarify my previous post, the games I have bought on Amazon are the downloadable content ones and not the boxed ones. And the downloadable content ones are just codes to download at steam.

Can confirm for Woden. I bought the Digital Deluxe Edition through Amazon and they just give you the Steam Key. You activate it on Steam just like any other game.

Just found out that this happened, Team Liquid trying to promote competitive Civ play: https://www.teamliquidpro.com/news/2017/...-challenge

Haven't read any of the post-mortems, and it was brave of them to run it whilst the game state is still so unsettled and bugged, but interesting.

EDIT: actually, whatever they are playing, it's not Civ6: https://www.teamliquidpro.com/civmod/
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

That change log ... are they trying to make Quick speed feel like Epic?
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

New DLC released, so we'll likely have a new patch soon too. Hopefully they fix some of the UI problems.

Regarding the DLC, Nubia has an archer replacement with 3 movement and higher strength (coupled with a Civ ability that produces archers 50% faster and archers that gain XP 50% faster). And still more bonuses on top of that (including building districts faster, which likely means it can be the first to a GG in most games). Completely overpowered. Better stick to the original Civs for our games.

(July 25th, 2017, 12:00)Ichabod Wrote: New DLC released, so we'll likely have a new patch soon too. Hopefully they fix some of the UI problems.

Regarding the DLC, Nubia has an archer replacement with 3 movement and higher strength (coupled with a Civ ability that produces archers 50% faster and archers that gain XP 50% faster). And still more bonuses on top of that (including building districts faster, which likely means it can be the first to a GG in most games). Completely overpowered. Better stick to the original Civs for our games.

By now we have so many "OP" civs that it'd probably not matter; between Skythia, Sumeria, Makedon, Persia, Nubia, Australia we could fill one PBEM with just "OP" civs, therefore the power balances out... lol

When everyone is OP, no-one is...

Except the original civs mostly aren't. I really hope Firaxis isn't taking the CCG approach to releasing new content ...
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

A unique unit archer that has higher power, gains experience faster, is cheaper to build (with civ ability), and has +1 movement?! They're not even trying to balance these new civs anymore. What a joke. rolleye

Pindicator is correct. There are two distinct tiers of civs now available: the ones in the base game, and the ones released separately as downloadable content. All of the DLC civs are significantly stronger than the ones in the base game. That's a real problem from a balance standpoint, and it doesn't speak well of the designers. We can avoid this wrecking our community by keeping them banned from our events, but this will only have deleterious effects in the wider Civ6 playerbase.
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

(July 25th, 2017, 17:39)Sullla Wrote: A unique unit archer that has higher power, gains experience faster, is cheaper to build (with civ ability), and has +1 movement?! They're not even trying to balance these new civs anymore. What a joke.  rolleye

Pindicator is correct. There are two distinct tiers of civs now available: the ones in the base game, and the ones released separately as downloadable content. All of the DLC civs are significantly stronger than the ones in the base game. That's a real problem from a balance standpoint, and it doesn't speak well of the designers. We can avoid this wrecking our community by keeping them banned from our events, but this will only have deleterious effects in the wider Civ6 playerbase.

In the devs defense, Poland is pretty average, though yes if you view it alongside the base game civs it's actually one of the stronger ones. 

It was the same way with civ 5 too: Strongest civs are Korea, Babylon and possibly Inca and Maya, guess which ones are DLC? That's right! All of them... rolleye

I've already noticed it having an adverse effect on the community too, some people that join lobbies will only pick one civ and leave if they don't get them, the days of everyone picking "random" in lobby games are over.