As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

(August 26th, 2017, 00:33)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: a terrible effect:cost ratio, a negative economic impact

Well, sure, it's a Federal project.  That's par for the course.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Wow what a hot hot take.

Good news. No one's shutting down anything to build a stupid fucking wall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...l-for-now/

This is why you don't play softball.

"for now". I suspect Trump is stalling to use the budget reconciliation process on taxes and is hoping that Bob Menendez gets pwned. Or he just like bluffing which will gives DEMs the win without a fight. It's still a bad battle to pick because the price is actually negligible (the cost is 1/12 the increased borrowing costs and the "sentimental" value of the wall won't matter with Trump hamming things up).

I pretty sure that Trump, if he had what it took, would have pushed it in here because taxes wouldn't matter, Bob probably wouldn't make a difference and Mueller could pwn him. dancing

(August 11th, 2017, 09:28)Dreylin Wrote: Ah, but he's an "Expert". We don't like "Experts" anymore, remember? Plus of course all the "Experts" spent the run-up to the vote confidently predicting massive, immediate, economic consequences of a vote for Brexit; that didn't come so there's another hit to their credibility....

Actually the only person predicting immediate dire consequences was Gideon "my name's too Jewish for a puture PM, so I'll call myself George" Osborne, who isn't even an expert in his chosen field of towel folding.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

(August 25th, 2017, 07:04)AdrienIer Wrote: Normally I'd agree with you but this is the USA we're talking about. For the past 8 years the republicans have blocked a lot of things (including shutting down the government) to force concessions into bad policies and they were rewarded by the people in 2016 by winning every election. Apparently it's a winning strategy.

No the winning strategy was denying the vote to c. 10 million US citizens because they either were the wrong colour, or going to the wrong type of college (the kind that teaches critical analysis), or simply didn't bother to count their votes.

The case study is Michigan which had 449,000 people denied the vote through crosscheck (an anti-double voting system which uses two checks first name and surname), and didn't count over 75,000 votes cast in Detroit and Flint, areas which voted over two to one for Clinton (and given that Republitraitor eyes were counting the votes the number of Trump votes disregarded was likely countable on a blind carpenters left hand) and an unknown number of people turned away by voter ID laws ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court a few months earlier. Trumps "winning margin" was 10,000. A democratic system would not only see Trump lose, but have him and the Republitraitor leadership facing a long time in the chokey.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

(September 3rd, 2017, 12:45)Brian Shanahan Wrote: A democratic system would not only see Trump lose, but have him and the Republitraitor leadership facing a long time in the chokey.
Nothing is more democratic than imprisoning the party leaders on the losing side, after all!  Four out of five Democratic People's Republics agree!  

Anyway, it's interesting how the Democrat Party members of the Michigan Board of Canvassers are actually secret Republicans.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

You can't recount disenfranchised votes, dipshit.

IIRC only Michigan would plausibly flip due to voter ID laws. Having said that they are just to give GOP an edge because voter fraud is non-existent (electoral fraud does happen but not voter fraud).

(September 4th, 2017, 11:00)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: You can't recount disenfranchised votes, dipshit.

Uncalled for, and warrants an apology.  One of the things I love about RB is, unlike the vast majority of The Internet, civility rules.  Please don't break that  eek.

Darrell

(September 4th, 2017, 21:00)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: IIRC only Michigan would plausibly flip due to voter ID laws. Having said that they are just to give GOP an edge because voter fraud is non-existent (electoral fraud does happen but not voter fraud).

Wisconsin as well.  There are some underlying assumptions that are dubious, and Snopes has it as "unproven" as of now.

Trump won for the same reason Brexit won, their opponents ran on a boogeyman message (contrast this with Obama's "yes we can" campaign) and unsurprisingly their base didn't show up at the polls.  Not facing that reality makes it more likely to happen again, which would totally suck.

Darrell