As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

What is your field/career?

(September 28th, 2017, 12:46)Brian Shanahan Wrote:
(September 26th, 2017, 15:29)Mardoc Wrote:
(September 26th, 2017, 15:19)TheHumanHydra Wrote: Mm, I certainly wasn't suggesting them, only a possible outcome in the case that unemployment becomes unbearable (my point of reference was the French Revolution, which was partially inspired by high bread prices). If such a case doesn't occur, then for sure, we won't need to make any changes.

Fair enough.  I'll agree with the response to the hypothetical.

Anyway, I meant to respond to Adrien as well.  I don't want a UBI - but only because I believe that the world is such that we can't afford to pay it and have people stop working.  In the hypothetical situation where that changes, where automation really does produce so much that work becomes irrelevant, I would hope we'd land with a UBI instead of ensuring make-work.

Why? If the world's governments weren't so fixated on an economic system that gives the vast majority of the fruits of labour to the owners of capital, despite the minimal labour they put towards making those profits, we'd have well more than enough to be able to afford a decent standard of living for everyone. When 50% of the world's wealth is owned by a number of people so small they wouldn't populate a small village, a proper UBI is more than possible, given the proper will.

I think you and I disagree on too many matters of fact to have a productive conversation.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Interesting thought though, how much geothermal energy could we try to rip out of volcanoes and would it count as green power if it stops an eruption? I wonder how much various greenhouse gases wouldn't be released.

And most importantly, I wonder if oil companies could be persuaded to research this if it counted towards cap and trade...
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(September 28th, 2017, 10:32)darrelljs Wrote:
(September 28th, 2017, 09:39)Dreylin Wrote: a Vulcanologist can tell you that Yellowstone (sorry darrell) erupted 2.1 million, 1.3 million, and 630,000 years ago
You've killed us all scared!

I'll shoulder Yellowstone, but I'm blaming Dark Savant for this: Mt Agung, Indonesia

(September 28th, 2017, 09:39)Dreylin Wrote: Of course Houston has had two <1,000yr flooding events in the last year - which is generally irrelevant apart from flagging how humans are bad at understanding probabilities.

I can fully support this statement.  A friend of mine posted this on facebook following Houston ...

Facebook friend Wrote:A 100 year storm does not mean it will happen only once every 100 years. It means there is a 1% chance of it happening in any given year.
Just like with flipping a coin, the probability resets with each flip/year. You could have a string of ten heads in a row and be perfectly within the norms of probability.
Over any given 100 year period, the expectation is that there will be one such storm. However, probability tells us there is:
37% probability there will be no 100 year storm
37% probability there will be one 100 year storm
18% probability there will be two 100 year storms
6% probability there will be three 100 year storms
2% probability there will be FOUR OR MORE 100 year storms.

I know the maths is right (because I checked it) but I was still a little surprised that the probability of zero and one event was roughly the same ... until I realized that it is not surprising that (1-1/n)^n is close to (1-1/n)^(n-1) x 1/n x n for large values of n.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

I thought I would give everyone else a true object of derision (even if I'm late to this) aside from the Yellowstone Caldera:

1) BA in Political Science and a JD
2) I suppose a post-graduate degree counts as specialization even if it's a law degree.
3) I am a lawyer.
4) I primarily practice probate and trust law.
5) Sure.  My cases are all like past jobs.  This area of the law involves common human problems with which anyone can relate or understand.  King Lear encompasses many of the themes I deal with in these cases.  There are a few dominant case archetypes (second spouse versus stepchildren, sibling war, caregiver takes control, etc.) that constitute the vast majority of cases.  I am never surprised what people think they are entitled to or what they think is reasonable.
6) http://pdf.textfiles.com/posters/lawyercoloringbook.pdf

I knew that Ichabod was a lawyer, and I suppose Khan and I earn our livings in similar ways, but I am surprised that there are relatively few folks who earn their keep in the legal field here.  Or maybe they just have better sense than me to not out themselves as such.

Since you specifically asked to be an object of derision, here's the best I can do:

(October 1st, 2017, 02:47)wetbandit Wrote: King Lear encompasses many of the themes I deal with in these cases. There are a few dominant case archetypes (second spouse versus stepchildren, sibling war, caregiver takes control, etc.) that constitute the vast majority of cases. I am never surprised what people think they are entitled to or what they think is reasonable.

The impression I get (no first-hand experience, thankfully) is that hiring a lawyer in an inheritence dispute is basically the nuclear option: Wittingly or unwittingly, it's a case of, "If I don't get what I want, then none of you are getting anything!" Or more precisely, "Before I let any of you get a red cent of [dear departed family member]'s money, I'll see the whole inheritance lost to wetbandit for legal fees!"

(October 1st, 2017, 02:47)wetbandit Wrote: I am never surprised what people think they are entitled to or what they think is reasonable.

As someone who essentially bought his divorce lawyer a corvette, I know exactly what you mean.

(October 1st, 2017, 13:05)RefSteel Wrote: Since you specifically asked to be an object of derision, here's the best I can do:

Come on now, you can do better than that!

(October 1st, 2017, 02:47)wetbandit Wrote: I thought I would give everyone else a true object of derision

protest Burn him!  Kill the whore-son of Satan and save your virgin daughters!! protest

Darrell

(October 1st, 2017, 13:05)RefSteel Wrote: The impression I get (no first-hand experience, thankfully) is that hiring a lawyer in an inheritence dispute is basically the nuclear option: Wittingly or unwittingly, it's a case of, "If I don't get what I want, then none of you are getting anything!"  Or more precisely, "Before I let any of you get a red cent of [dear departed family member]'s money, I'll see the whole inheritance lost to wetbandit for legal fees!"

Your quotes stand for what actually happens than what the driving sentiment usually is behind a party's motive.  People can be emotionally volatile during a difficult time.  Some can be downright mean and petty.  Personal property disputes generally are the worst economic decisions made by beneficiaries/heirs of a trust/estate.  People fighting over a $500 grandfather clock when some lawyers (not me) bill at that per hour is irrational, but they have their reasons.  

(October 2nd, 2017, 06:36)darrelljs Wrote:
(October 1st, 2017, 02:47)wetbandit Wrote: I am never surprised what people think they are entitled to or what they think is reasonable.

As someone who essentially bought his divorce lawyer a corvette, I know exactly what you mean.

That sounds ugly.  Sorry to hear that.  I couldn't practice in that area.  Way too much fighting over everything.  And I'm in an area of law that routinely involves emotionally charged disputes.   I was covering an appearance for a friend in family court and witnessed a heated hearing over the education plan and proposed medical treatment of a divorcing couple's children.  Each spouse had their own doctor who recommended something different for treatment (some issue about medication for ADD or a similar disorder, nothing apparently life or limb threatening).  So the lawyers got to argue and the judge set an evidentiary hearing to resolve that, which I can only imagine was incredibly expensive and emotionally difficult. 

Hope you don't have too much PTSD from yours.

This is a fun thread.

Quote:1) What degrees and diplomas do you have?
2) Is there anything of note you specialized in during your education?
3) What is your current job and/or your career?
4) Is there anything of note you specialize in at your job?
5) Are there any past jobs you've done that are of interest?
6) What is your name, address, and credit card PIN?

1. BS Engineering, MS Electrical & Computer Engineering
2. Not really, my MS thesis was on hardware accelerators for video compression so I guess I learned something there.
3. Software Engineer.
4. Logic Synthesis.
5. From time to time I go to LA for the 4th and shoot a fireworks show on a volunteer basis, you hammer together a bunch of wooden frames to hold fireworks, wire the whole thing up, and then smell of gunpowder for days.  It's great.
6. Silicon Valley, where houses cost more than small bridges...
Blog | EitB | PF2 | PBEM 37 | PBEM 45G | RBDG1

I'm kind of a marketer)) Nice to meet you smile