As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

Developers typically don't play their own games competitively. That is totally normal throughout the industry. Developing and supporting a game is a thoroughly different mindset and drive than competing in it. You may as well ask why umpires don't play baseball.

Wouldn't they need to at least understand how their games are played, in order to balance them effectively? Umpires are familiar with how baseball is actually played, since they need to judge actions in real game conditions.

All of the info released on the expansion will be listed out on this ever-updated site.

It was noted in the PBEM7 thread that the game save file size has ballooned to a (relatively) large size >9MB. Rather than derail that thread I'll post further observations here:
  • No noticeable difference in game save size behavior between single player saves vs. multiplayer hotseat saves.
  • Game saves initially start around 300 KB for a small map.
  • After opening a "large" save file, all game saves from then on jump up in size until Civ 6 is re-started
  • After re-starting Civ 6, any new games started are again <300 KB, any loaded games save fine at the normal size ... until a large save file is opened again.
  • Upon inspection of a large save file with a a hex editor (HxD), I found about 90% or more of the save file filled with empty "00" data. Deleting the "00" data did not seem to have an effect upon game play in the next 20 or so turns that I played, however upon saving the game the save file again jumped back to the large ~9 MB file size.
Screenshot of the game file opened in the hex editor:

Some annotated testing, further description below:

• Games were saved sequentially (1) -> (7)
  • (1) was created after playing one of my duel saves and started with a large file size of nearly 9 MB on T1.
  • After saving (1), I exited to desktop [did not close Steam], re-opened Civ6, and started a new game. (2) was saved on T1 but had file size of only 262 KB.
  • After saving (2), I exited to main menu, re-opened (2) and saved again as (3). File size barely changed.
  • After saving (3), I exited to main menu, opened (1), exited to main menu without moving anything and without saving, then opened (3) and saved as (4). Notice that the file size of (4) jumped up to nearly 9 MB!
  • After saving (4), I exited to desktop, made a copy of (4) as (5), opened (5) in HxD hex editor and deleted all of the "00" data, notice file size dropped from 8909 KB to 249 KB!
  • After deleting the "00" data in (5), I opened civ, loaded (5), saved as (6), but the file size jumped immediately back to nearly 9 MB!
  • After saving (6), I exited to desktop, re-opened Civ6, loaded (3) and saved as (7) and the file size remained small.
Conclusions:
  • Once a ballooned save file is opened in Civ6, any further saves that are opened without first re-starting Civ6 get nearly 9 MB of superfluous data inserted.
  • Re-starting Civ6 effectively prevents the superfluous data from spreading to new game saves, but current games are stuck with the large file size
  • Any single instance of opening a new game after playing a save from an old game will "infect" the new game with the superfluous data.

Unbelievable.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

So, what are the implications for PBEM7? Will we need to roll back to a previous save to correct the issue, or else face perpetual problems with PYDT? :/ Bah.

in other news, Mongolia was announced today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87mw43o_xp8
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

(December 19th, 2017, 12:10)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote: So, what are the implications for PBEM7? Will we need to roll back to a previous save to correct the issue, or else face perpetual problems with PYDT? :/ Bah.

I don't think so.

For me, this is the first time hearing of this. Every time I play my game in PBEM 7, The save is below 1MB. 
Last turn I uploaded (turn 18, 1 hour ago) it was ~667kb. 

I use the client, and have the client on boot-when-download, meaning that áfter the save has been downloaded, Civ VI gets automaticly booted by the game. 
Have only used the manual website download/upload once (when the cllient had to update) in pbem 7, and did not have the ballooning issue either. 

Japper uses the same client-settings as I do, and have not heard him complain about any ballooning issues either.

I play a PBEM on a German site and the issues is known there too. The recommendation is to restart Civ 6 every time it's used for PBEM. By the way, my saves that are sent to Archduke show a ballooning size since 3 December. It was still small on December 2nd.

Very sloppy programming it seems. I do hope that our game won't be affected by it in the long run. I just recommend not to add any further crap and to monitor the situation.

In non-save file news, Mongolia looks completely busted  lol

Edit: And it's yet another civ with a completely bimodal play pattern.

Livestream tomorrow (Wed. Dec 20th) showcasing Genghis Khan and Queen Wilhelmina at 11am PST/2pm EST/8pm CET.

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/943194242196824064

-or-

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/n...ds.625668/