As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

Sounds like a game for Gorgo, especially now that Hoplites benefit from Agoge.

Also, spellcheck thinks Hoplites is shoplifters. Such a disappointing outcome for proud people, to be mistaken for shoplifters.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

It's well known that Alexander the great ransacked Asia, Mesopotamia and up to the Indus with his great phalanxes of shoplifters and Macedon cavalry.

Wait, does Magnus work for wood chopping and jungle clearing too? Holy crap!!!

I've never used him, but reading his ability I thought it only applied to harvesting bonus resources like cattle or stone.

Yeah, Magnus is broken. It's somewhat hilarious that it reached release: I think that it's more fun to not pick him myself and give him over to the AI.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

I wouldn't mind such a challenge, Cornflakes. With Gorgo for the culture smile

I would definitely give it a try too.

I'm interested as well, with Gorgo for sure! Or maybe Gilgamesh since he also has a strong barbrelated ability.

(February 19th, 2018, 16:04)Krill Wrote: Yeah, Magnus is broken. It's somewhat hilarious that it reached release: I think that it's more fun to not pick him myself and give him over to the AI.

Just read the CFC discussion about him. It's hilarious reading the people who don't understand how central chopping is to any proper Civ 6 strategy (except for "the AI is dumb, hur de hur"). Even I who has only other people's game reports to go on can see how strong chopping is.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

(February 19th, 2018, 09:24)Cornflakes Wrote: Barbs are definitely increased on higher difficulties now! Used to be a barb scout returning trigger the camp to erupt with 2 melee + 1 ranged ... now on Diety I watched a camp produce 3 melee and then 3 ranged, 1/turn for 6 consecutive turns! Might be interesting to try another Rome vs. Barbarians style adventure. Would there be any interest if I organized one and created the starting save? (maybe not with Rome since we've seen that played several times).

I dialed up a rough-and-dirty test game, large expanse of tundra on one side, open plain with AI far away on the other side ... the result: after fighting off the initial wave of barbarians their threat was virtually non-existant. Now I only played about 80 turns, but I literally had 1 tile pillaged by barbs and didn't lose a single unit. By this time I also had a large swath of tundra de-fogged and enough units to crush any camps that popped up. Basically after the first 20-30 turns the barbs become irrelevant beyond minor irritant. The barb camps simply do not spawn frequently enough to pose any legitimate threat

Long story short, it looks like Civilization vs. Barbarians will not be interesting in-and-of itself.

I forget if this was covered here or at CFC, but the issue with this type of scenario is probably the BARBARIAN_BOLDNEsS settings in GlobalParameters.xml.
They get "bolder" gradually over time (+2/turn) and when they kill things (+15/kill) . However, as they lose units (-5 for scouts, -10 for others) or camps (-30) they effectively turn into chickens. If you kill one "full" camp (scout, spear, camp) it's 23 turns to their prior boldness level. Once the number is driven negative enough they effectively shut down and, IIRC from wherever it was discussed, all barbarian camps use the same pool.

This type of scenario might work if one were to change the parameters to up the aggressiveness. It'd also be interesting to change the XML to allow them to capture cities....
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)