As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

(June 28th, 2018, 01:12)SevenSpirits Wrote: Really? Half of legal voting-age Americans don't bother to vote and you think it's some amazing prize that warrants breaking the law and risking your livelihood to obtain? Literally 100% of my reason for voting (and that of people I know) is a sense of civic duty. If you lose that (e.g. because you have a civic duty to NOT VOTE), it's a huge waste of time and effort for an amount of personal gain that rounds down to zero. I won't go so far as to call your attitude paranoid - it's certainly possible that there are other dynamics at play - but your description of an individual non-citizen seeing this as some sort of windfall opportunity is absurd, and naivete doesn't enter into it.

I do not make any conjectures about the psychology of illegal aliens. It would never occur to me that staying in a foreign country without any legal basis is a good idea, so I am wary of trying to read their minds. My entire case for the claim that there is widespread, systemic illegal voting is the fact that Democrats defend an obviously flawed approach with exactly the vigor you demonstrate here. It is sharply at odds with their usual preference to turn lives of their fellow citizens into a bureaucratic nightmare and they should have a very good reason for this.
(How about that: to exercise the right to vote should be exactly as difficult as to exercise the right to bear arms. Seems fair to me.)

(June 28th, 2018, 05:32)Gavagai Wrote: .
(How about that: to exercise the right to vote should be exactly as difficult as to exercise the right to bear arms. Seems fair to me.)

So there should be vote fairs with no background checks at all, and where people from other states can participate ? That sounds like a bad idea.
I also don't think people with psychiatric issues should be forbidden to vote.

But sure, a national voting base (using social security number to identify people) and a national gun ownership base (registring who owns what gun) sound like fine ideas.

I would love to see some actual evidence from the crowd that insists voter fraud happens here on a significant level. Anytime I ever ask for it, crickets.

Or maybe I'll ask it this way. Scenario: you aren't legally able to vote here in the US, but you're here. What is your plan to seriously influence an election in which over 100 million votes are cast?

(June 28th, 2018, 05:32)Gavagai Wrote: My entire case for the claim that there is widespread, systemic illegal voting is the fact that Democrats defend an obviously flawed approach with exactly the vigor you demonstrate here.

Do they? Increasing the amount of people voting would be quite good for them. They often lose elections not because of numbers that agree with them, but because the other party consistently gets better turnout from their older base. You're conflating opposition to voter ID laws with satisfaction with the status quo.

(June 28th, 2018, 05:32)Gavagai Wrote: (How about that: to exercise the right to vote should be exactly as difficult as to exercise the right to bear arms. Seems fair to me.)

This is sort of close to something I might actually agree with, but uh... I think you're severely underestimating how easy it is to bear arms here. lol

(June 28th, 2018, 00:45)ipecac Wrote: THH: https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/e...migration/

Thanks, that's a good one. I take your point that Canada has had some periods of net migrant loss, but the overall trend of influx remains.

(June 28th, 2018, 04:37)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: People who always talk up voter ID are always full of shit, because it turns out that some forms of ID (driver's licences, concealed carry permits) are more equal than others (student IDs).
 Could it possibly be, said the non US-citizen, that there is a preference for ID card actually issued by a government agency? I remember going to Ireland on a highschool trip and being warned that pubs needed ID. Luckily we had our library cards that at that time* had both picture and date of birth.
*when issued by the right high school part-timer.

Voter fraud is BS. In order to do something you need 1000 votes or so but that's too big and you get caught. Bacchus actually supplied an example of that awhile back. There's other ways to cheat (for example in FL in 2000 the exit polls were released too soon on purpose to stop the panhandle from voting) but that's not it. Lower turnout favors GOP and higher turnout favors DEMs which also explains why the DEMs want voting to be as easy as possible.

TLDR Gavagai is a fucking dumbass regurgitating propaganda he sees on TV or blogs.

It's the same guy who two years ago was ranting in this thread about his conviction that non-whites are inherently less intelligent (but it's cool, because they're better at sports!).

That he also believes every bit of idiocy to be vomited forth from Brietbart and RT isn't particularly surprising.

(June 28th, 2018, 21:17)Bobchillingworth Wrote: It's the same guy who two years ago was ranting in this thread about his conviction that non-whites are inherently less intelligent (but it's cool, because they're better at sports!).

What? I need to ask you to take this back or it will be very hard for me to keep this in politics thread.

Simple desire to increase turnout may explain opposition to voter ID laws, this I concede. Still, it demonstrates a curious indifference to a possibility of electoral fraud.