As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Charriu and Zalson are fighting the honorable post count war!

T9:

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG?raw=1]

Quite an interesting turn. So first I finished Hunting and started BW just as planned. As you can see I discovered a nice big lake near the coast, so quite nice with a lighthouse. I will move my scout across the purple line. As you can see I marked the stops for my scout with dots and the yellow and purple line are identically fast, that's because 1W of the elephant is an non-forest non-hill tile. Using the purple line I won't explore the tile 1N and 2N of the mountain, but that doesn't matter as I could see desert hills just under the fog and I highly doubt that there will be anything worthwhile there.

That brings me to the biggest discovery of this turn. I found our first enemy - RFS. I could see his border under the fog and the culture global overlay confirmed it. So by moving along the purple line I meet him and explore more of his land. There is the possibility that he has already produced a warrior, but I highly doubt that. If I'm correct and he produced a workboat first and then a warrior. Then his city must have grown already. So he's propabely working on a worker right now and it should be safe for me to move close to his border.

So I think I'm quite lucky in having RFS as a neighbor. Playing as the mongols I would suspect the earliest attack from RFS with Keshik and that will take some time. I also ranked RFS the least dangerous of the other players, so I feel quite safe for now. Unfortunately he will be able to settle this lake that I found and being financial will give RFS quite a lot of commerce.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

That seems like a really good second spot for him: fish AND corn. We'll need to go take it.

Let's consider how this second spot plays, now that we know where it's going. I think this puts fishing before roads, though? Not sure though.
"My ancestors came here on the Magna Carta!"

www.earnestwords.com

(July 5th, 2018, 00:23)Zalson Wrote: That seems like a really good second spot for him: fish AND corn. We'll need to go take it.

Do you mean capture his city or settle before him? Because I don't see me settling there immediately. It's pretty far away.

(July 5th, 2018, 00:23)Zalson Wrote: Let's consider how this second spot plays, now that we know where it's going. I think this puts fishing before roads, though? Not sure though.

Yes, I believe fishing before wheel is the right play. This is what I think about potential second city placements:
  • West: We already found a decent city spot there and there is food and some other resources like marble and spice. We need fishing for this cities crab.
  • North-West: The rice is pretty far away for a second city and the only other shareable resources are the sugar, which is not that great as of now, and the pig, which we would like to keep for the capitol
  • North: Same as with North-West. The lakes are nice but without the additional benefit of a lighthouse, they are not that great.
  • North-East: Has at least a banana, but that would require iron working and calendar. This area has to be settled later
  • East: Could be another interesting city spot, but we need to know more about what's under the fog. We will propabely need fishing here too, to share the crab from the capitol.
I will do some planning and testing on the weekend.

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

I was suggesting a DoW in about 85 turns smile

www.earnestwords.com

That western site looks like the best available. Rice looks good for spot 3. Bummer the ivory is jungled.

www.earnestwords.com

Missed your question about rights to your spreadsheet: that’d be great! I’ll PM my gmail. I’ll also share my sheet.

www.earnestwords.com

A few adjustments to the plan:

T19: start a barracks instead of a warrior; otherwise, we just waste the hammers
T21: start fishing (I think we finish it here?)
T25: start wheel, fishing is in. chop out worker 2
T26: start the settler, move worker 2 to farm corn, worker 1 goes to chop second grassland forest
T30: chop into the settler, finish corn farm.
T31: move to forest grassland hill (both workers)
T32: compelte wheel research, chop into forest hill (cancel), select pottery
T33: REVOLT TO SLAVERY, road that forest hill, select workboat, settler done, settler moves to marked spot
T34: found city and start a barracks, work the corn, chop workboat at capital, move worker 2 1n and road (cancel order)
T35: workboat out and move to capital clam, start a worker at cap, worker 1 move 1n and road, worker 2 move 1nw and road (cancel)
T36: pick up clams at capital, worker 1 move 1nw and finish road, worker 2 move 1n and chop riverside forest at city 2
T37: worker 1 moves to northern plain forest at capital
T38: chop northern forest
T39: chop into barracks at city 2, worker #3 done

It gets a bit messy at that point.

www.earnestwords.com

(July 5th, 2018, 11:43)Zalson Wrote: A few adjustments to the plan:

T19: start a barracks instead of a warrior; otherwise, we just waste the hammers
T21: start fishing (I think we finish it here?)
T25: start wheel, fishing is in. chop out worker 2
T26: start the settler, move worker 2 to farm corn, worker 1 goes to chop second grassland forest
T30: chop into the settler, finish corn farm.
T31: move to forest grassland hill (both workers)
T32: compelte wheel research, chop into forest hill (cancel), select pottery
T33: REVOLT TO SLAVERY, road that forest hill, select workboat, settler done, settler moves to marked spot
T34: found city and start a barracks, work the corn, chop workboat at capital, move worker 2 1n and road (cancel order)
T35: workboat out and move to capital clam, start a worker at cap, worker 1 move 1n and road, worker 2 move 1nw and road (cancel)
T36: pick up clams at capital, worker 1 move 1nw and finish road, worker 2 move 1n and chop riverside forest at city 2
T37: worker 1 moves to northern plain forest at capital
T38: chop northern forest
T39: chop into barracks at city 2, worker #3 done

It gets a bit messy at that point.

I tested your plan and it's not working:
  • BW finishs on T22 not T21 and only then can fishing start
  • Fishing then finishs at T27 not T25
  • The corn farm finishs on T31 not T30
But working a barracks instead of a warrior is the right move.

Buy me a coffee

Oh and I don't see that we start a settler in your plan. Depending on where the copper is we may want to get our 3rd city sooner.

Buy me a coffee

T10:

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG?raw=1]

Just as expected RFS population has not grown, so he's propabely working on a worker. So now that we offically have met RFS let me say:

Welcome RFS. dancing Nice to meet you. Maybe we will have a peaceful time maybe not that totally depends on your very nice city spots and who might be my other neighbors. For now it's good not to be alone anymore. multidance 

Other than I noticed more water 1NW of the silk, so next turn will provide additional tiles, which is great.

Buy me a coffee