As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

(September 4th, 2018, 16:47)Japper007 Wrote: 1. His favorite chant "America First" has been a Ku Klux Klan chant for decades.

You have any idea how far you're stretching here? Now it constitutes racism just to use a word that racists sometimes use?

Besides, that is patriotism, not racism. America is not a race. In none of your examples did Trump say anything at all about any race.

If you think Trump is racist, please point to a real or proposed policy associated with him that involves race in any way. (Hint: there are none.) The KKK wants blacks killed or deported. Trump has never said anything like that and I'd wager doesn't think that way even privately.

(September 4th, 2018, 16:47)Japper007 Wrote: When you put it that way, sure, but the actual right wing way of economics is that you are baking a different pie and keeping all of it for yourself. 

That sounds to me more like working, than does being forcibly deprived of half my pie that I labored for and you didn't.

(September 5th, 2018, 03:43)Huinesoron Wrote: Because I don't care to dig into several years of reports on things Trump has been accused of racism over, and the only group I know he hasn't been claimed to hate for their race is the group commonly referred to as "white".

If you're trying to say that there's some term I should have used instead, I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of it; this isn't a topic I normally have cause to discuss.

No, it was truly a tangent, not Trump-related.  Your phrasing reminded me of an position I've heard elsewhere, but apparently was just a coincidence.  I don't want to argue against an opinion no one here holds, so I thought I'd check first.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

(September 5th, 2018, 03:21)TheArchduke Wrote: I think you are right on the second change, Trump is just a symptom. Check Sanders for what nearly happened to the Democrats.

That reminds me. I had dismissed Sanders' chance of winning in 2020 because superdelegates would decide against him, but there was recent news that the superdelegates' power is to be reduced.

I don't know the details, but it sounds promising.

(September 5th, 2018, 02:35)AdrienIer Wrote: You're in for a worst surprise than when the democrats believed that the demographics had shifted enough to make their victory certain. The swing towards the Sanders side of the democratic party will hit you hard I'm afraid

That Democrats were surprised doesn't mean I will be surprised.

Sanders or his successor, maybe his son, will likely divide the Democrats even more than in 2016.

(September 5th, 2018, 03:43)Huinesoron Wrote:
(September 4th, 2018, 23:29)ipecac Wrote: They reason that "when Trump attacks non-whites, it's because of their race, but when he uses the same attacks on whites it's just because he's a bastard".

This is a good summary of what the article says the people it's addressing does, yes.

It's a good summary of what people actually do, such as Japper just a few posts back.

Trying to raise "Muslim ban" as evidence of Trump's racism only shows that the person doesn't know what he's talking about. It was a list drawn up under Obama that doesn't even block >75% of the world's Muslim population from entering.

African americans have been protesting police brutality for years, and it just so happens that the very action of doing so makes Trump supporters so angry that they set their Nike sneakers on fire, just because Nike put a high profile protester on an advertising campaign.

What else? Gutting the voting rights act so that african american communities are stripped of voter registration, no longer have access to voting booths.

But guys, if you constantly shift the goalposts here and there, you can't *actually* prove Donald Trump is a racist, the people who he rages at just happen to be non-white, his policies just so happen to hurt people of lower economic strata people tend to be non-white.

For instance, check this out, the admin is also deporting vietnamese refugees:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018...-detention

(September 6th, 2018, 01:17)ipecac Wrote:
(September 5th, 2018, 02:35)AdrienIer Wrote: You're in for a worst surprise than when the democrats believed that the demographics had shifted enough to make their victory certain. The swing towards the Sanders side of the democratic party will hit you hard I'm afraid

That Democrats were surprised doesn't mean I will be surprised.

Sanders or his successor, maybe his son, will likely divide the Democrats even more than in 2016.

I disagree. The democratic establishment is moving to the left, including most of those considering a 2020 run. Gillibrand, Klobuchar, Warren, Harris and others are supporting progressive legislation to position themselves closer to Sanders.

(September 6th, 2018, 04:52)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: Trump supporters so angry that they set their Nike sneakers on fire, just because Nike put a high profile protester on an advertising campaign.

Gotta love how they just do not get how boycotting works:

EsJeejDubba-u's are ruining Star Wars. So I'm going to watch it three times and make 5 hours of "video essays" on it. Boycott Star Wars y'all!

Gonna set my property on fire to protest Nike! 

Guys, an actual boycott means you do not buy stuff anymore, not destroy stuff you already had. When we boycotted Apartheid we didn't burn our winecellars and fruitbaskets. We just stopped buying new oranges and South African wine.

Can't wait for Ford to support BLM so we can watch these guys torch their trucks lol.

To win in 2020, the Democrats need to run a black candidate. Obama won his landslide (and swept in D congressional majorities on his coattails) by turning out blacks to vote like they never had before. Half of them stuck around for 2012 and few for 2016 and so they lost Congress. The Democrats aren't pulling white support away from Trump, they need to get their black supporters to the polls. No old white woman like Warren is going to do any better than Hillary. Cory Booker is the most viable such candidate at the moment.

I dunno, the democratic primary isn't going to be about race as much as about policy. Booker has a rather right wing record that will play against him at a time when the more centrist candidates underperform in contested primaries. Anti-corruption stuff and bills to rein in corporate greed will play better

People don't vote on policies. People vote for the candidate they'd like to have a beer with. For the candidate that feels most like themselves.