As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

Not at all.This is a highly partisan moment. There is plenty of evidence Kavanaugh has historically been a heavy drinker, a lot of it from his own mouth. But if you are a Republican in the senate with a vested interest in seeing Kavanaugh confirmed, you have all kinds of motivation to ignore that. This is not a moment about truth seeking or rational decision making, it’s a moment about tribalism.

He made statements that he was a good boy when not under oath. Under oath he admitted drinking but evaded everything else. I think the GOP is choosing to punt it in here because the DEMs sandbagging more than cancels out Ford's 2012 therapy session and Brett's saying that he was a good boy.

Ford gave some fake excuse of 'fear of flights' for not wanting to testify. On top of that, we have an anonymous letter about an anonymous friend seeing something, an accusation by a crazy whose ex-boyfriend had to take out a restraining order, and something brought up by that Avenatti.

What a witchhunt.

By the way, if Kavanaugh is not confrmed, it will turn accusations of sexual misconduct into a political superweapon. And that, in turn, would forever destroy the credibility of such accusations in high-profie political cases in the eyes of all reasonable people.
This is why those, who sincerely care about women's rights, should root for Kavanaugh now smile

Poked my head in here to see if Kavagnorak has reached here, too. It has? Great.

I think everyone should read this extremely lengthy 4-year old essay, because I feel it perfectly explains the situation.

The Toxoplasma of Rage, by Scott Alexander
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

There is no apocalypse here, just me and a few others pointing out that the emperor has no clothes, while everyone else is acting like the latest witch hunt has any smidgen of credibility.

Kavanaugh has a long long history of perjury, going back to 2004, when he lied about not accessing stolen documents. And his lies about his knowledge of wiretaps and torture.

That shit alone should be disqualifying. Then there is the fact that he constantly gets in to and out of debt, buys expensive properties, means he completely beholden to the interests of the donor class.

The fact that Kavanaugh's little lies about how much of a goody good boy he was back in high school, and how much he liked to drink and sexually torment women (see the "Renate alumni") is just the cherry on top.

But none of that ever matters because he is the culmination of decades of work to destroy reproductive healthcare and maga people will counternance anything.

(September 28th, 2018, 12:15)Gavagai Wrote: By the way, if Kavanaugh is not confrmed, it will turn accusations of sexual misconduct into a political superweapon. And that, in turn, would forever destroy the credibility of such accusations in high-profie political cases in the eyes of all reasonable people.
This is why those, who sincerely care about women's rights, should root for Kavanaugh now smile

This is a spectacularly stupid take and I would not expect anything else from someone as brain-dead as this dipshit.

(September 28th, 2018, 18:50)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote: Poked my head in here to see if Kavagnorak has reached here, too. It has? Great.

I think everyone should read this extremely lengthy 4-year old essay, because I feel it perfectly explains the situation.

The Toxoplasma of Rage, by Scott Alexander

The problem with that essay is that, while it perfectly describes how this "Toxoplasma of Rage" works, it makes it out as if political divisiveness is a bad thing. It's not, the whole reason the left in America has failed to get off the ground is that they keep trying to compromise. Like pushing forward just Right of centers like Clinton instead of actual leftists like Sanders. Instead of shouting "He will not divide us" and "Love Trumps hate" they should be happy for a divide. The "left" in America being almost the exact same as the right leads to the apathy that makes the Dems loose, a majority of Americans support progressive policy, but a significant portion also doesn't vote, because they feel left out in the cold by the Democrats. It's not time for bridges, it's time for barricades.

I think you misunderstand the essay a bit. It's not so much about the actual positions, but about how the most controversial take is always boosted. For example, if someone wanted to argue against Bernie Sanders, they could say that his policies are too expensive, or whatever - nobody cares. Or they could say that you only support Bernie over Hillary because you're a straight white man who doesn't want a woman in power...

I don't quite see how this applies to Kavanaugh, though.