As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

From the stream it sounded like engineering projects are simply special districts you can build to stop the downsides of disasters whiile still getting the positives (they specificall mentioned the dam which stops river floods)

They also said that there are 4 levels of disaster settings, and they expect multiplayer games to use the minimal settings. Which makes sense, becuase multiplayer games want to reduce randomness, but it's also notable that they say in the very first stream that multiplayer games will want to see a major new feature as little as possible

15 new improvements is promising, IMO. Civ 6 vanilla suffer from lack of meaningful improvements, especially for flat tiles. Hopefully these new improvements create meaningful choices (which is possible if they are integrated well with districts and adjacency/if they open up tactical plays) and are not condemned to the late game eras, that no MP games ever reach.

18 new units could also help. I feel the tech tree lacks a bit in meaningful choices for units, but the line that separates that from feature bloat is very thin and I wouldn't know how to balance it myself. Again, I fear they'll just add a lot of late game stuff (the 21th century thing) that doesn't impact MP games as we are used to play.

Perhaps we could try a late game MP one of these days. But considering cost scaling and the RoI of most builds in Civ6 (which is already very low for mostly everything other than unit spam, and that's based on games starting in Ancient Era), that would probably just become a chop-fest for armies. If that's the case, why not play Battle for Wesnoth or any other tactical game, right?

Honestly I’ll be happy with any changes that make me actually want to make builders after I’ve mined everything and have all resources hooked up. There often aren’t enough forests for lumbermill spam and farms are just… so uninspiring.
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

I'll play it if some of those new improvements are rainfall condensors, thermal boreholes, and echelon mirrors smile

(November 20th, 2018, 14:00)rho21 Wrote: Not seeing all that much of interest, really. Anyone want to offer a positive counterpoint?

ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS: Ugh

POWER AND CONSUMABLE RESOURCES: Meh

ENGINEERING PROJECTS: Mostly promising

WORLD CONGRESS: Has potential

21st CENTURY TECHNOLOGIES & CIVICS: Ugh, and too late game to be relevant

NEW SCENARIOS!: Whatevs.

NEW LEADERS AND CIVS
MORE NEW CONTENT
IMPROVED GAMEPLAY SYSTEMS: Insufficient info to judge these. They'll probably be unbalanced though.

World Congress sounds good.

I expect another round of ridiculous civ choices, desperately trying to avoid Eurocentrism with overpowered traits to make them interesting.

Apart from that. Ugh, Meh, yadayada.

Will buy it though because what else am I going to play apart from EU IV and CIV VI?

Ah, interesting title. It has a history in civ.

https://apolyton.net/forum/miscellaneous...cracy-game
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(November 20th, 2018, 15:52)TheArchduke Wrote: I expect another round of ridiculous civ choices, desperately trying to avoid Eurocentrism with overpowered traits to make them interesting.

I saw Incans and Polynesians in the trailer at least. I liked both quite a lot in civ 5, so I'm glad to see those return. The only western civ was Greeks, but we already have 3 civs from that area of the world so I doubt we get another (I'd love Greco-Baktria or Seleukia though). The game is still quite Eurocentric when you look at the lineup though, over half the civs are European or at least Colonialist legacies (Australia, Brazil) or leader choices who are only defined by their contact with Europe (Kongo under Afonso I, Aztecs under Moctezuma II), so I don't know where you get "desperately trying to avoid Eurocentrism" from. Even if they are trying they are doing a pretty shoddy job of it...
I'm not gonna lie, when I saw the Oosterscheldekering (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oosterscheldekering) I felt quite proud of our  tiny nation. dancing I hope we get a new Dutch alternate leader who has a bonus to hydro-engineering.

Smells gimmicky and of bolting on more things instead of shoring up the core. Hopefully World Congress is well executed, at least.

Here is some more info for you.

I never played Civ6 before, because most of the time I'm buying the next Civ when all of it's expansions are released and there are some collections to buy. So I can't really say how good or bad those additions are. Personally I agree with you about the RNG factor, but looking back at my first Civ game ever (Civ Call to Power) I am kind of interested and look forward to this global warming/climate change stuff. But that could also be my nostalgica goggles, because I played that in my youth.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

Ed Beach Wrote:we’ve replaced the Warmonger score

That change alone has the potential to fix most of the problems with AI diplomacy.

The silence on any improvements to the AI's ability to actually play the game is pretty deafening though.