As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

They are indeed a strong civ...in the mid game or what is sort of the late game for these PBEM games here. Their first bonus to come online is the second half of Bombard, where "Conquered cities do not lose population and Cities not founded by the Ottomans gain +1 amenity and +4 loyalty per turn." The amenities part is nice, so far I am not sure we have seen much from the loyalty mechanic in games. Could lead to some early city state captures but nothing here let's them necessarily get a leg up on other early civs to do the conquering. This is much the same as with Spain who gets good religious bonuses but no help in establishing a religion. On the bright side this lasts all game including when you are conquering with Janissaries.

Next is Grand Vizier which will hit in the classical era with governments. Then the rest of Great Turkish Bombard will first effect catapults at engineering in the late classical era. Their next one will be Barbary Corsairs in the medieval era, and then all the rest are in the Renaissance era. Unlike Russia who's early religion gives them a bonus for getting DOTF and surviving to Cossacks, the Ottomans will have a harder time doing so. If they do get to the Renaissance though they will be a scary civ to deal with.

Since Ibrahim can be put in other civ's cities, he could be used to prop up a failing player with a production and combat bonus which would be neat. Not sure if you can be at war with a civ where he is stationed. If you can then Head Falconer and Serasker are good early combat boosts, albeit ones where you signal your intentions a few turns in advance by placing Ibrahim.

Janissaries also receive a free promotion so they effectively have battlecry or tortoise. With Ibrahim, Battlecry, and their inherent strength they can be hitting at 65-72 strength on the attack. Not sure if they still get the free promotion if upgraded with gold rather than built.

They do look fun to try though.

Interesting consequence of connected systems that was actually shown off in today's gameplay livestream:

As in Vanilla/R&F, if you unlock a new unit but are unable to build it due to strategic resource requirements, you are able to build the unit it obsoletes (i.e. you can build Warriors, as long as you don't have Iron to make Swordsmen).

However, as strategics are now stockpiled and spent on units, you can fall below the threshold and un-obsolete your old units with relative ease.

The guy playing on the stream was making use of this, building Swordsmen and upgrading them into Janissaries at a cost of 15GP and 7 niter each (with the -50% cost civic). First, Janissaries do get a free promo on upgrade; second, the provided example is probably one of the least impactful uses in the game - Janissaries are 120 cogs + one population, to a Swordsman's 90 and the regular musketman's 240. He was saving population, but not really all that many cogs. Could be absolutely terrifying when upgrading into swords or knights. (Could it be possible to 'hide' excess iron in unfinished Swordsman production to enable Heavy Chariot builds without actually spending your iron?)

15GP to turn a sword into a stronger musket is ludicrously efficient. You don't save as much a production relative to a regular musket, but that super favorable gold-to-hammer ratio is still in effect and, as noted, no pop loss.

(January 24th, 2019, 20:43)Quagma Blast Wrote: However, as strategics are now stockpiled and spent on units, you can fall below the threshold and un-obsolete your old units with relative ease. ... (Could it be possible to 'hide' excess iron in unfinished Swordsman production?)

Emergent loopholes like this are why Civs 3 and 4 made it a simple yes-or-no check for the strategic resource to build a unit. Just because limited quantities and supply would seem logical doesn't make it a good gameplay mechanic.

In a parallel universe, where design knowledge is built up iteratively at a practical level, people must be playing some pretty awesome games.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

Civ 4 did accumulate quite a corpus of design knowledge over several years of playtesting and iterations through expansions. Jon Shafer just decided to ignore half of it for Civ 5. It's nine years later that Civ finally just now recovered from Shafer failing to understand why Civ 4 divides overflow production by the modifier.

@ Bacchus

Thanks I needed the laugh today.

@ T-Hawk

At the Gates shows what is Jon Shafer unleashed, tons of features just added on each other.

Are there going to be more civs or were the Ottomans the last ?

The prognosticators at CivFanatics are expecting one more civ or leader - Phoenecia/Carthage is the expectation based upon a leak that occurred, with Eleanor of Aquitane being an apparent dark horse second leader for England or France.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Ok thanks. I'm not super hyped by this lot, except for Maori and Inca which seem different.