As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

(March 17th, 2019, 12:01)Krill Wrote: Not possible to build a mod?

It probably is possible to do so, both to fix and improve the game.  However, I don't know that there's enough community interest to do so (current progress notwithstanding as what's been done is not even tested). 

Since I wasn't around for it at the time, is the RtR mod the result of "fixing" what was perceived to be a bad game to make it good or was it the result of taking a good game and tweaking it to make it more balanced for multiplayer?
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Well RtR was first started in August 2010, and the design aim was to make the game playable on random maps with no balancing. Here we are almost 9 years later and we started after the game had been out almost 5 years.

I think if you build it, people will come.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

any RB balance mod will have to compete with the CPL balance mod so that's another reason why I am down on it.
Youtube Channel Twitch aka Mistoltin

Is the CPL mod worth giving a try in a PBEM here?
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

I did research and GS didn't make enough changes to really do anything. So a new PBEM would be another R&F game. During my research, I've discovered that CivPlayers aren't dead but are homeless.

(March 18th, 2019, 02:52)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: I did research and GS didn't make enough changes to really do anything. So a new PBEM would be another R&F game. During my research, I've discovered that CivPlayers aren't dead but are homeless.

GS did change the whole resources needed for Units for example you need 20 Iron to upgrade 1 warrior to a Swordman.

(March 18th, 2019, 04:10)Rowain Wrote: GS did change the whole resources needed for Units for example you need 20 Iron to upgrade 1 warrior to a Swordman.

Reading up on this on the wiki, it looks like Strategic resources used in production are consumed at the moment you begin building the unit. That being the case, and since there's a cap on the resource stockpiles (the article says it starts at 50), does that mean the only sensible way to play the game is to begin producing a unit every time you have the resources for it, put one turn into it, then go about your business until you actually need a military? Without the ability to crash-upgrade or crash-build, having a stockpile of Swordsmen (or whatever) ready to build seems vital - and the only way not to waste your Iron income.

Do partially-built units get upgraded if you research a new tech? If so, and I had half a dozen one-turn-built Warriors in my empire, then researched Iron Working... would I have just saved 120 Iron, at a cost of only six turns of production spread across my empire?

That seems broken (not least because the AI could never do it, so an even game against them would break the moment I rolled out my zero-resource Musket/Bombard/Knight army instantly after researching the right techs). It would make more sense for commencing construction to lock in the unit you're building - but I don't think that's how base Civ 6 works, and I'm not at all confident they'd have changed it.

hS

I'd probably be interested in another civ 6 game sometime in the future, but I think I need a break for a while first.

I think a mod makes sense, there are some designs clearly aimed at single player and changing them would make MP more interesting.

(March 18th, 2019, 04:50)Huinesoron Wrote: Do partially-built units get upgraded if you research a new tech? If so, and I had half a dozen one-turn-built Warriors in my empire, then researched Iron Working... would I have just saved 120 Iron, at a cost of only six turns of production spread across my empire?

Nope As long as you don't have the necessary resources you can't build the new ones. Building a warrior remains bzuilding a warrior untill you have the resources needed and becomes a (for example) Sword build the moment you reach the necessary amount of resources (and have the tech).

(March 18th, 2019, 07:31)Rowain Wrote:
(March 18th, 2019, 04:50)Huinesoron Wrote: Do partially-built units get upgraded if you research a new tech? If so, and I had half a dozen one-turn-built Warriors in my empire, then researched Iron Working... would I have just saved 120 Iron, at a cost of only six turns of production spread across my empire?

Nope As long as you don't have the necessary resources you can't build the new ones. Building a warrior remains bzuilding a warrior untill you have the resources needed and becomes a (for example) Sword build the moment you reach the necessary amount of resources (and have the tech).

So how does that work with the GS setup? If I have two Warriors building, research Iron Working, and accumulate 20 Iron, will the game transform one of them randomly into a Sword while leaving the other as a Warrior?

hS