As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Brexit Political Discussion Thread

What a catastrophe. At a time when global economic crisis is more and more likely to occur (it has been what, 12 years?) the tories will have a perfect excuse to ramp austerity to US levels. Fears about trashing the NHS would become a reality. Absolutely horrible result.

Seems like people just voted on Corbyn as a person (thank the right-wing media for non-stop slander), or on Brexit, which labour absolutely failed to take a electorally favorable stance on.
"I know that Kilpatrick is a hell of a damned fool, but I want just that sort of man to command my cavalry on this expedition."
- William Tecumseh Sherman

(December 12th, 2019, 17:45)Krill Wrote: Didn't people say that after 2015, just elect a leader who isn't Ed Miliband?

This is looking like the worst labour outcome in 90 years. I think a plan as basic as "wait" is unlikely to succeed.

Look at the result from Blyth Valley that's just coming in now as an example of why Labour lost so badly. It's a Tory gain from a Labour seat that they've had since it was created.

Labour lost 15% of the vote share. Tories gained 5 and Brexit 8. Most of that loss by Labour is a result of Brexit. It voted 60-40 in for Leave.
If the UK had left already, Labour holds this seat.

Even the seats up there that Labour is holding are seeing Labour losing their vote share to the Brexit Party.

Brexit happening would give Labour back it's northern heartlands, but it wouldn't help out the Tories in London. That's why I think that Labour can win an election once Brexit has happened (maybe not a majority though). Hell, I'm fairly sure that if Brexit had happened when it was supposed to under TM, then Labour would have won this election, even with Corbyn at the helm.

(December 12th, 2019, 19:15)Mr. Cairo Wrote:
(December 12th, 2019, 17:45)Krill Wrote: Didn't people say that after 2015, just elect a leader who isn't Ed Miliband?

This is looking like the worst labour outcome in 90 years. I think a plan as basic as "wait" is unlikely to succeed.

Look at the result from Blyth Valley that's just coming in now as an example of why Labour lost so badly. It's a Tory gain from a Labour seat that they've had since it was created.

Labour lost 15% of the vote share. Tories gained 5 and Brexit 8. Most of that loss by Labour is a result of Brexit. It voted 60-40 in for Leave.
If the UK had left already, Labour holds this seat.

Even the seats up there that Labour is holding are seeing Labour losing their vote share to the Brexit Party.

Brexit happening would give Labour back it's northern heartlands, but it wouldn't help out the Tories in London. That's why I think that Labour can win an election once Brexit has happened (maybe not a majority though). Hell, I'm fairly sure that if Brexit had happened when it was supposed to under TM, then Labour would have won this election, even with Corbyn at the helm.
Agreed. corbyn should've just voted for the may deal and been done with it.
"I know that Kilpatrick is a hell of a damned fool, but I want just that sort of man to command my cavalry on this expedition."

DUP+Tory+Brexit @ 45%. Second refferendum would have won easily. There are some Tory Remainers still but the right liking to vote more (so they get more useless votes in a GE) and there being more safe labour seats (safe seats suppress turnout) would more than cover them.

The salty Pro-Life NI party has more votes than change the UK.

Lib dems are getting punished too. If it were just a failure of Jeremy Corbyn and the labour manifesto, you'd expect to see lib dems doing well. But instead, they're suffering heavily.

Edit:

I think that on one hand, labour has been unsuccessful in getting the message on tory austerity out. On the other, they failed to take a proper stance on Brexit and be strong in parliament. Without the Brexit party or lib dems stealing votes, a few of these marginals would be in Lab hands. Trying to revert to someone in the ideological realm of Milliband or Blair wouldn't have saved Labour.

Oh well, at the end of the day, the usual race-baiting and fearmongering has succeeded in bringing about yet more austerity.

Lib Dem sources on the ground confirm Jo Swinson has lost East Dunbartonshire.

Now it's offical.

Looks like we are going to get an independent politician due to what happened in Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath. SNP ditched their candidate but he won anyway against Labour.

(December 10th, 2019, 15:33)Krill Wrote: Pulling figures out of my arse: Tory majority of 5.

For every seat the Tories gain over this I'll give Darrell a compliment.

I hope Darrell's ready to feel really, really good about himself.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.