As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Gaspar & Noble make their triumphant? return; mostly just get asked about "The List"

In pbem and sequential pitboss production happens when you click end turn. Simultaneous pitboss it doesn't, although there might be a way to mod it so it does during wartime (in the same way some mods enforce turn order).

I would love it if that could be done, but then there is the question of how you handle civs at war compared to civs not at war. This is something I have previously considered.

For example, would all civs start processing research and production when they end turn if anyone is at war? Would it only be for civs that are at war? Would that create an incentive to declare a random war in order to speed up production for a turn? Would players have an incentive to rush to play their turn if someone being at war triggered end-of-turn production? Is that a bad thing? Lots of questions.

Another possible solution is something that Heroes of Might and Magic did: simultaneous turns until someone declares war (in HoMM it was until players saw each other, since everyone is always at war in HoMM), then sequential for everyone for the rest of the game (or at least until nobody is at war again). That would speed up the first X turns but could be not meaningful enough to be worth bothering with.

If you have units, buildings (mostly walls or castles) and military techs (for queue-upgrades) finish at the press of end turn while wonders and liberalism finish at the turn roll would it solve the problem? No idea if that's even possible...

That's crazy Harry. I don't even know where to begin with that idea. lol

Current PYFT Ratings

Bobchillingworth - 4.5
superdeath - 2*
Lewwyn - 4
Serdoa - 4
Rusten - 5
Gaspar & NobleHelium - 4.5

* May have gotten a penalty for not having the walk to back up his talk. wink

Played turn 6.

[Image: t006-overview.jpg?raw=1]

Pindicator does not want us to see SD's capital.  Also he has riverside wheat which is 1h1c better than dry corn.  I hope he has clams instead of fish at least? We do see that the wheat is similarly surrounded by inconvenient tiles, so that is good.

We finished the work boat and will put 1t into a worker next turn before swapping to a warrior to grow to 2.

[Image: t006-demos.jpg?raw=1]

No techs for Lewwyn and SD still. SD must be teching BW as predicted. Lewwyn I think is teching Mining and will finish next turn. Or he's crazy and teching Meditation. We are the only civ to tech Fishing. (Lewwyn starts with it.)

As much as I love your discussion about differences between PB, sequential PB and PBEM, I have to say I won't change anything in that regard. Not because I think it bad or good. I just don't dare to touch that code as I fear the bugs emerging from it.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

(September 14th, 2020, 14:04)Charriu Wrote: As much as I love your discussion about differences between PB, sequential PB and PBEM, I have to say I won't change anything in that regard. Not because I think it bad or good. I just don't dare to touch that code as I fear the bugs emerging from it.

I need you to talk to my junior developers. They are bright, keen and far too used to pulling off clever wins. They need to learn a suitable amount  of fear, before they truly break the system.
It may have looked easy, but that is because it was done correctly - Brian Moore

(September 14th, 2020, 14:26)shallow_thought Wrote:
(September 14th, 2020, 14:04)Charriu Wrote: As much as I love your discussion about differences between PB, sequential PB and PBEM, I have to say I won't change anything in that regard. Not because I think it bad or good. I just don't dare to touch that code as I fear the bugs emerging from it.

I need you to talk to my junior developers. They are bright, keen and far too used to pulling off clever wins. They need to learn a suitable amount  of fear, before they truly break the system.

[Image: casper-beyer-caspervonb-newbie-developer...181329.png]

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

(September 14th, 2020, 14:26)shallow_thought Wrote:

But to give a better answer to this. One of the best ways to learn this is working in a lot of small-scale projects. My first job was as a game developer for nearly 5 years. In those 5 years I've worked on at least 8 different projects. I broke quite a few things there, but because it was all small-scale the damage I caused was limited.

Buy me a coffee