As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Gaspar & Noble make their triumphant? return; mostly just get asked about "The List"

I'm assuming its so quiet in here because nobody is still lurking this game...

Anyway, thought I'd make a little state of the game post.  We're at turn 70, which in most of these game is probably like the 1/3 point.  So without further ado...

[Image: trimester.png]

Gaspar's First Trimester Award Spectacular

multidance  band  multidance

Biggest target of anger
Nominees: Pindicator, Superdeath, Serdoa

Pindicator was the early leader for this award, between the logistical hell that is our capital and the fact that a map we specifically requested allowed 2-3 rings of expansion before conflict has first ring cities abutting one another.  Serdoa was the next choice, forcing us to whip a spear because he got a bit more upset than anticipated at us killing his scout.  Superdeath seemed like the logical next choice, because he's Superdeath and visions of his foolish aggressions danced in our heads and forced way more excruciatingly boring conversations about inconsequential unit movements with Noble than I ever wanted.

Winner:  Pindicator.  While I'm mostly over this (the PB55 map is much worse) things like the stone placement and circumnav coming way too early are the gifts that keep on giving.

Best Lurker
Nominees: Old Harry, Mackoti, Novice

Harry was the early leader here, responding the most to my pregame gibberish but I feel like he hasn't posted in ages.  Mackoti as ever always makes you think with his contributions, even if they're scarce.  Novice is the closest thing anyone has been to trying to consistently help, and that's much appreciated.

Winner: None.  Let's be honest here, you guys have failed us by not posting enough.  DO BETTER!

Best During The Game Decision By Us
Nominees: Planting Harbour Bridge to the south as a first city which led to us being able to plant Solaris Temple, Killing Serdoa's scout which may have bought us enough time to plant Solaris Temple, Planting Solaris Temple

Astute observers may have noticed all of the nominees relate to Solaris Temple.  That city has been so crucial to our competitiveness that any decision not relating to it pales in comparison.  While the runners-up deserve their mention, there can be only one winner here.

Winner: Planting Harbour Bridge to the south  If we don't plant HB where and when we did, for sure we head west and get into a quagmire with SD over the silver, as opposed to claiming two superior gold resources as early as we did.

Worst Pre-Game Decision By Us
Nominees: Not picking FIN, Picking Byzantium, Inviting Lewwyn to the game

Byzantium might still be awesome once we get Cataphracts going but there's no doubt that the terrible start techs really held us back in the early game.  It felt like it took forever to knock out all the worker techs, because it took forever to knock out all the worker techs.  I find it hard to imagine a scenario where I don't take Mining as a start tech in a CtH game in the current state of the mod.  Not picking FIN is equally bad, because its still clearly the best trait.  While I'm happy enough with Augustus, there's no doubt we'd be in better shape with Vicky.  Inviting Lewwyn to the game feels bad because he's had quite a good start.

Winner: Picking Byzantium.  There might be a future game where I am not FIN.  There will never be a future game where I start Mysticism, The Wheel.  Swiftrage

LVP of the Trimester
Nominees: Bob, Serdoa, Superdeath

Superdeath is the obvious choice, as he's the only player to lose a city.  Bob is in last place and has had the slowest expansion.  But only one player makes me look at this every turn:

[Image: pig.jpg]

His borders popped on t62.  Its t70.  That's a 6 food tile.  smoke

Winner: Serdoa

MVP of the Trimester
Nominees: Lewwyn, Rusten, Us

If the game ended right now, Lewwyn would have to be called the winner.  He's expanded exceptionally well, has the first wonder and was the first to circumnavigation.  Rusten had a very good start but looks to have been slowed a bit.  His micro looked quite sloppy when we were scouting him, but I still think he has a realistic shot to win.  We've bounced back from a slow start thanks to some decent midgame play and the early settlement of the gold resources.  I like our chances, but again, there can be only one winner here.

Winner: Lewwyn
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

So one thing Gaspar did not mention in the reports is that there has been some diplo between us and Serdoa.  After we rejected his initial request at OB and then sent him clam for clam, several turns ago he sent a message asking us to declare war on SD (with nothing else) and then another OB offer under that.  We declined both and sent him back war with SD, with the intent of telling him that we're more interested in sending the phracts towards SD than him.  Then a couple turns ago he declared war on SD and took Chengdu.  I was not expecting that and I'm not sure what's going to happen in the near future, but I hope Serdoa isn't expecting us to attack when we (and basically everyone else) have almost no units. mischief Our power has been going up but that's mostly because we have been powering through techs that give a good boost to power.  Looks good on the demos, not actually concretely useful.

Anyway, after he declared war we also finally offered him OB which he of course accepted.  We did not grant it before because 1) our trade routes were still shot from the initial war and 2) we didn't want him scouting us.  The trade routes are back in business shortly though and thus there is value.  We'll also get trade routes to Lewwyn in the near future, both of which we'll need with our future influx of additional trade routes from circumnavigation and Currency.

Serdoa is also trading silver for silver with Rusten which could be another friendly overture. Rusten is Serdoa's neighbor to the northwest.

(November 10th, 2020, 23:37)Gaspar Wrote: I'm assuming its so quiet in here because nobody is still lurking this game...

Fwiw, I am greatly enjoying reading this thread and its mix of humour and civ; it makes me sad I can't read the 55 one. I just never have anything civ-wise to contribute! Pretty sure there are lots of people like me, but we are definitely still reading.
Past Games: PB51  -  PB55  -  PB56  -  PB58 (Tarkeel's game)  - PB59  -  PB60  -  PB64  -  PB66  -  PB68 (Miguelito's game)     Current Games: None (for now...)

(November 11th, 2020, 03:48)Amicalola Wrote:
(November 10th, 2020, 23:37)Gaspar Wrote: I'm assuming its so quiet in here because nobody is still lurking this game...

Fwiw, I am greatly enjoying reading this thread and its mix of humour and civ; it makes me sad I can't read the 55 one. I just never have anything civ-wise to contribute! Pretty sure there are lots of people like me, but we are definitely still reading.

I'm not reading lol , but I do enjoy it.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

Thanks for the report. I am also following PBEM 78 closely.

I don't comment much since the rules preclude any discussion of substance or interest for global lurkers.

(November 11th, 2020, 03:48)Amicalola Wrote: Fwiw, I am greatly enjoying reading this thread and its mix of humour and civ; it makes me sad I can't read the 55 one. I just never have anything civ-wise to contribute! Pretty sure there are lots of people like me, but we are definitely still reading.

Glad you're enjoying it, such as it is. The amount of both humor and civ that are contained within these pages are directly proportional to the amount of interest the thread seems to be generating from lurkers. So, in modern terms - more #engagement = more #content. Just an FYI.

(November 11th, 2020, 04:23)Charriu Wrote: I'm not reading lol , but I do enjoy it.

lol Well played, sir. Always enjoy a reference to Life of Brian.

(November 11th, 2020, 05:40)civac2 Wrote: Thanks for the report. I am also following PBEM 78 closely.

I don't comment much since the rules preclude any discussion of substance or interest for global lurkers.

That's probably not a terrible way to look at things, since it will keep you from "slipping up" but global lurkers are certainly allowed to ask follow-up questions on things we've brought up or really any topic that isn't leading us down a path towards information we shouldn't have.
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

I've been too drunk to type for the last week. How's your hangover?

(November 10th, 2020, 23:37)Gaspar Wrote:   Rusten had a very good start but looks to have been slowed a bit.  His micro looked quite sloppy when we were scouting him, but I still think he has a realistic shot to win. 

And to get back on topic, what was sloppy about the micro?

And to get back into the top five posters in this thread:

(November 10th, 2020, 19:02)Gaspar Wrote: Anything you lurker types are interested in that I haven't touched on recently?

Where are the catephracts going to go?

Harry, you're not allowed to ask questions that are already answered in order to boost your post count. nono