As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[PB58] Tarkeel and Amicalola's rule through fear

(January 25th, 2021, 05:20)civac2 Wrote: I don't see a brown city spot.
It's on the hill on the northern landbridge, it doesn't show up very well.

(January 25th, 2021, 05:25)Amicalola Wrote: I agree for sure on the three cities you propose being our next three. Would you consider though swapping so that Coruscant's settler grabs Dark Blue, and Fondor's grabs Ivory? Unless we 100% need the luxury now, I think starting the Moai city to be up-and-running ASAP is a higher priority; the sooner the better. That wonder is just so damn good, and with 2 foods to share and a 2/4/0 copper that city already starts strong.
Dk Blue might be better first, as it doesn't need a work boat as well. More reason for settling stone over purple though.

(January 25th, 2021, 05:25)Amicalola Wrote: As far as the other cities on there. I'm not sure if the filler with incense is worth settling, as it claims almost nothing new, and steals a different city's only food resource.
That city is very low priority, but it should be built at some point I think, for the trade routes if nothing else. Also not sure if we want one or two cities on that island without exploring it.

(January 25th, 2021, 05:25)Amicalola Wrote: I also think we should try to explore that ivory with a warrior before we plant if possible? To see if there are any other resources (not sure about timing and warrior locations). Another advantage to settling Dark Blue first. tongue
There's actually a scout in the area, so we will know before settling. That crab on the other side might be hard to incorporate.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Turn 54 (1840 BC)
Ruff was first to five cities at the end of last turn, followed by Jowy this turn. I think we need Kuat to build settlers to keep up with the pack. Serdoa researched Agriculture. The Ivory is jungled, which dampens that site somewhat. We've also discovered horses in the tundra; new map coming next turn when the coast is de-fogged.

I played around with the sim, and first attempt completed GLH EoT70. Tweaking the plans a little by pre-wipping the Lighthouse and working a lake in Fondor we shave off a few turns and complete EoT68 instead.

If Kuat builds a settler instead of Pyramids, it will complete EoT71 (same as Kessel's) and can go to the stone site instead, saving several worker turns of roading. This settler destination has to bee determined at about T67 to re-task the workers. I did consider building Moai in the stone colony instead of DkBlue, but I think we're better off with the original plan.

Demographics

Lewwyn, are you okay? You've been very quiet the last week.

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Turn 55 (1800 BC)
Superdeath researched something back on T53 which I think is Mysticism. While on the way south, our scout was rudely interrupted by jungle spawning right in his path:

We've uncovered the north coast now, and I think the following four white dots are the best way to fill it in. They all get their own food, and some of them might be half-decent commerce cities down the road.

There's also a second set of horses by the ivory.

Demographics

Turn 56 (1760 BC)
Ruff and AT researched this turn, and Sailing and Pottery became known by a new civ each. I think AT already knew Pottery though. The ivory/horse city is actually on a small peninsula:

There's room for another city on the tip, working the sheep. We're going to have so many fishing villages.

Demographics

Turn 57-59 (1720 BC)
We've managed to play three turns so far today. Superdeath researched Pottery T57, Serdoa researched most likely Sailing on T58 and Jowy researched Polytheism T59. We researched Sailing T58 as well, and are saving gold before researching Masonry due on T62. Coruscant is actually having to slow down it's Lighthouse by working whales over plainhill mine in order to not finish before Masonry. We're whipping the Lighthouse on T61 to overflow into Great Lighthouse.

Meanwhile AT finally settled his fourth city T59 while our fifth is due on T60. We actually have a trade route to him, and based on available good and his known territory, I think he's settled the equivalent cities of our Fondor and ivory/horses.

Demographics
T57:

T58:

T59:

(January 26th, 2021, 14:35)Tarkeel Wrote: Turn 57-59 (1720 BC)
We've managed to play three turns so far today. Superdeath researched Pottery T57, Serdoa researched most likely Sailing on T58 and Jowy researched Polytheism T59. We researched Sailing T58 as well, and are saving gold before researching Masonry due on T62. Coruscant is actually having to slow down it's Lighthouse by working whales over plainhill mine in order to not finish before Masonry. We're whipping the Lighthouse on T61 to overflow into Great Lighthouse.

Looking good!! GLH will be a godsend here. Just a heads up, because this came up in my 55 game and I didn't know: overflow works kind of weirdly for 'double hammer' effects. Your max overflow is actually only half the building's cost. So, the relevant example in this case is, an organised lighthouse has a max overflow of 30 hammers, instead of the 60 hammers overflow that you would expect from it costing 60 hammers. The rest is converted into gold. 

Unless I've misunderstood the explanation I was given in 55. crazyeye
Past Games: PB51  -  PB55  -  PB56  -  PB58 (Tarkeel's game)  - PB59  -  PB60  -  PB64  -  PB66  -  PB68 (Miguelito's game)     Current Games: None (for now...)

Initially, the overflow is always the maximum of the item cost and your production in the city. So for a lighthouse 60 hammers (unless the city has even more production then those 60 hammers per turn). But after that production modifiers are removed. For an ORG civ (100% production modifier) you are left with 60/(1+1) = 30 hammers overflow. If you build a non-ORG lighthouse in a city with forge and OR (50%) you would have 60/(1+0.5) = 40 hammers left. Then for the next item this base overflow is multiplied again with the appropriate modifier for that item. So if you follow up the ORG lighthouse with IND Stonehenge (50% modifier) the 30 hammers get multiplied by 1.5 and end up at 45 hammers actual overflow into Stonehenge. Overflow is also always rounded down in both directions.

What Amicalola said is basically right. I just wanted to clarify a little.

Yep, I didn't count on the ORG modifier carrying over, I'm just trying to get the lighthouse close to 60 on the final turn and then whip it. We could have built it this turn if we wanted to, but Masonry isn't due yet.

I also ran into some new information while playing my morning turn which I have to mull over, so I won't get the turn played untill lunchbreak.

Turn 60 (1600 BC) Troublesome Water
After some consideration we decided to proceed as planned with Mon Calamari on the dark blue dot int he south. This should be a good Moai city, working 9 coasts and borrowing the clams from Coruscant. We even get to use the copper and Coruscant's cattle to build the statues.
[Image: moncalamari.gif][Image: launchingtheassault.gif]
Mon Calamari, or "Dac" as the natives call it, is an aquatic planet whose civilian shipyards can be coopted to feed our war machine.

This almost did not come to be however, as our final scouting just before founding discovered the following situation:

This is the landbridge towards AT, and his culture is just outside view. Controlling this arm will be important later on, and I had to consider if we should claim it immediately. The plan is instead to use the next settler out of Fondor to build a city on the plains east of the pig.

Demographics

Turn 61-62 (1520 BC)
We burned through Masonry in two turns as planned, and whipped Coruscant's lighthouse into the greater version with 29 hammers overflow. The Chimaera and Avenger are chop-mining a grasshill forest each, which  will be worked more or less just as they become available. I think I'll stop trying to keep track of every new tech, but someone got Archery this turn and AT got writing, so I'm hitting him up for some trade routes with a side order of scouting.

I think we have good chances of getting every single dot I've mapped out so far. I haven't quite decided what to do about the rocky wests yet as the land is quite inhospitable. Current plans is Fondor's settlers heads south to new pink, Kuat's goes northwest to stone, and Kessel's will grab either of the three coloured dots around it. We're in need of some more workers soon.

Tech-wise we're saving up to get Agriculture and then Pottery, and might go for MetalCasting and Colossus straight after.

Demographics
T61:

T62: