As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[PB58] Tarkeel and Amicalola's rule through fear

We're most likely one-turning it using staggered whip overflow and seven chops, so the main issue is researching it in time. This time we do have the workers available for an operation of this size. As for when we research Nationalism, we're still not quite sure, but are working on the details.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Hi, is something bugged with circumnav? We researched Optics this turn, but don't have it. I could have sworn I saw someone (SD?) get it in the event log, but can't find that now...
Past Games: PB51  -  PB55  -  PB56  -  PB58 (Tarkeel's game)  - PB59  -  PB60  -  PB64  -  PB66  -  PB68 (Miguelito's game)     Current Games: None (for now...)

You get it one turn later apparently. This is a difference between SP and MP that I haven't known about so far. Some players suggested this was also the case before my Optics change. Still waiting for somebody to confirm that.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

Awesome, thanks for the prompt response Charriu.
Past Games: PB51  -  PB55  -  PB56  -  PB58 (Tarkeel's game)  - PB59  -  PB60  -  PB64  -  PB66  -  PB68 (Miguelito's game)     Current Games: None (for now...)

Welp, I actually have another question. Does tech overflow work the same way as production (i.e. a tech that costs 100 has 100 max overflow), or is there a different limiting system, or is tech overflow infinite?

As far as I'm aware its infinite. Note though that it gets divided back to base beakers and then multiplied by new modifiers (ie prerequisites and ktbs). Commodore has a good explanation in my PB52 thread, but there is what I remember.

If you've never created a sim with like 4 cities all with wet corns / grassland golds, academy's ect to test upgrades / other stuff I recommend for pure fun factor.

Thanks!!

Turn 148-149 (780 AD)
We finally signed open borders with Superdeath for 3 gpt, after him refusing to take a luxury for it. The last fishing village on the north coast was founded; we have room for one more on the inner sea island, as well as two fillers.
[Image: ordmantell.gif][Image: mantelliansavrip.gif]
Founded as an Ordnance/Regional Depot in the mid rim, Ord Mantell grew into a profitable industrial world, but has since devolved into a lawless junkyard haven.

I've started writing on the T150 report, is there anything in particular the lurkers are interested in? I'm planning to cover our plans, opponents and reflections on traits and other major choices. I'm not going to do screenshots for all 23 cities, but you'll get for the important ones and text for the others.

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Turn 150 (800 AD)

State of the Empire
A lot has happened since the last overview post, back on T100 when the future was bright. That came crashing down fast when AT started whipping praetorians on T102 and we almost whipped our empire into the ground to defend. I didn't much feel the need for a minor T125 update after the war reporting. The turn since then has mainly been spend on growth and infrastructure. We're currently leading in cities, and I think everyone is feeling the crunch of city maintenance.

Our current goals are:
  • Grow our cities taller
  • Build TajMahal
  • Explore the oceans to check for astro-land
  • Determine value of astro-land south of Kiffex and east of Eriadu
  • Reach cuirassiers
  • Survive while doing all of the above

Opponents
6th: Ruff
After a war in which Serdoa managed to put some hurt on Ruff without making great profit, Ruff seems to have come to a complete stop. The 'spine' territory that was meant for him has been claimed by AT, Jowy and ourselves. Currently in a fresh war against Jowy, in which he's lost the border city and both parties have spawned generals.

5th: AutomatedTeller
Having secured peace after an indecisive war, AT has made some suspect technology choices, and has researched Alphabet, Aesthetics up to Music and CivilService while skipping Machinery and Compass/Optics. He has slightly better land and population than us, but I rank us slighly ahead due to better focus.

4th: Us
We're still feeling the aftershocks of that war, 25 turns after it ended.

3rd: Serdoa MrCairo
Not sure what happened to the early leader, but after a good opening salvo in the war with Ruff, the forces stagnated without making any real gains. He doesn't have Optics yet, having just researched Compass.

2nd: Superdeath
Having run a successful farmer's gambit for the entire game, he managed to use his golden age well and was one of the first to Optics. He's managed to grab a fair amount of land, including island cities between Ruff and MrCairo that he has no business getting. Will be interesting to see how far he can go before someone calls him out. Just imagine what he could have done with a better leader!

1st: Jowy
Jowy has become the tech leader, with large improved cities and a spiking power. I think his war against Ruff is fueled by knights, and I was uncertain whether the target would be Ruff (who has units but no economy) or Superdeath (who has economy but no units).

Major Planet Overview

(You'll have to excuse the sign-mess)

Coruscant
Our capital got pressed into service as ballistaphants-factory during the war, and has both stable and barracks, but we're about to turn it into our GPP factory with national epic. In general, this has never been a particularly strong city as it never got to grow.

Fondor
Fondor has contributed two of the three wonders we've built, but ever since the war has been focused on units. It has a settled great general and will soon build heroic epic.

Kuat
It never got to build a wonder, but it's been a big part of settling the western reaches. It's just now finishing some infrastructure, and will either pump more ballistaphants or try for Great Library.

Mon Calamari
Our Moai-city is quite the gem with twin metals and plains cattle, and is one of our most productive cities with 20 base hammers, while still hefty commerce.

Minor Planet Overview
  • Kessel: Used to be one of our most important cities due to the gold, but is now just one of several commerce cities. Granary, Baray, Forge, Library, Courthouse
  • Endor: Currently under enemy control, this city did it's job very well, but is sorely missed
  • Bespin: RIP.
  • Corulag: A fine commerce city with access to hills when needed. Granary, Baray, Forge, Library, Courthouse
  • Kashyyyk: Quite a productive fishing village. Barracks, Granary, Baray, Lighthouse, Forge, Monument, Library
  • Ralltiir: Western frontline that's been whipped hard. Walls, Barracks, Granary, Lighthouse, Forge, Monument, Library, Courthouse
  • Dantooine: Still a crappy border city, but has provided some workboats. Granary, Baray, Lighthouse, Forge, Monument, Library, Courthouse
  • Naboo: Lovely island fishing village that's fully developed and can just grow. Granary, Lighthhouse, Forge, Library, Courthouse
  • Nal Hutta: Great commerce city. Granary, Lighthhouse, Forge, Library, Courthouse
  • Hoth: Pretty bad fishing village whose main job is claiming marble. Whipped into shape. Granary, Lighthhouse, Forge, Monument, Courthouse
  • Alderaan: Good commerce city, still growing. Granary, Forge, Courthouse
  • Wakeelmui: Coastal gateway city that will provide some buffer to our core. Currently needs to fight for it's inner ring with Endor. Granary, Lighthouse, Monument
  • Kiffex: Poor island village that was going to steal clams from Jowy, but that doesn't look likely. Lighthhouse, Monument
  • Anoat: Fishing village w/second ring food. Lighthhouse, Monument
  • Sullust: Border city that's culture crushed, but should be able to get back sheep. Monument
  • Carida: Fishing village w/second ring food. Monument
  • Rahital: Border city. Lighthhouse, Monument
  • Eriadu: Fishing village w/second ring food. Lighthhouse, Monument
  • Malastare: Fishing village with some hill support. Granary, Monument
  • Cloud City: Filler to pick up stone, but has grasshill-sheep so can grow some.
  • Ord Mantell: Fishing village w/second ring food. Monument
As you can see, even our minor cities are pretty well developed with buildings, and we plan to get out more forges during the golden age. If there's a particular city you'd like to see more of, I can post pictures.

Technology Thoughts
T0: Hunting, essential for bringing our strongest tile online.
T0: Mining, for fast research of BronzeWorking.
T16: BronzeWorking, for chopping settlers and workers.
T31: AnimalHusbandry, for bringing online the best tiles for all of our first four cities.
T39: Mysticism, for an attempt at Stonehenge
T45: TheWheel, for connecting cities and resources
T48: Fishing, for finally working some water commerce, and starting on Sailing
T58: Sailing, for trade connections and  lighthouses (cheap and Great)
T62: Masonry, for Great Lighthouse
T66: Agriculture, for Kuat's rice and Pottery pre-req
T68: Pottery, for granaries, MetalCasting pre-req and cottages
T81: MetalCasting, for forges and Colossus
T87: Writing, for general progress
T95: Mathemathics, for Hanging Gardens and pre-reqs
T102: Calendar, for Mausoleum and resources
T110: Currency, for economy
T114: Construction, for catapuls and ballistaphants
T118: HorsebackRiding, for ballistaphants
T119: IronWorking, for iron and jungle clearing
T124: CodeOfLaws, for courthouses
T125: Archery, for cheap defenders
T130: Polytheism, for pre-req
T131: Monotheism, for pre-req and future OrgRel
T136: Machinery, for mills and crossbows
T139: Monarchy, for wines
T146: Compass, for pre-req
T148: Optics, for economy and caravels
T150: Aesthetics, for pre-reqs

Upcoming:
Literature, for epics
Feudalism, for vassalage, longbows and pre-reqs
CivilService, for irrigation and pre-reqs
Meditation, for pre-reqs
Philosophy, for pre-reqs
Nationalism, for TajMahal
Wishlisth:
Theology, for Apostolic Palace
Engineering, for movement
Alphabet, for tech knowledge
We can also reach cuirassiers pretty soon:
Music->MilitaryTradition, Paper->Education->Gunpowder; optionally Guilds

(March 9th, 2021, 16:00)Tarkeel Wrote: Major Planet Overview

(You'll have to excuse the sign-mess aesthetic detail)

FTFY wink

But yeah, anyone who's followed both PB56 and PB58 knows that Tarkeel reports better than me in every way, so as usual it's difficult for me to add much to his report. It's one of the reasons I've been much quieter here relative to my activity in the game; I never want to say anything because I know Tarkeel can say it better. crazyeye 

But the main takeaway regarding future plans is that if we are left alone, our demos are going to continue to suck until about T155-160. After that, if we're still left alone, we're going to explode. This Taj plan is my baby, and the most invested I've ever been in a game of Civ. If it plays out that way, the next 30 turns are going to be a lot of fun. nod