As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Woden and ljubljana like boats

(January 21st, 2022, 06:04)ljubljana Wrote: I see now that thrawn suggested their team mass quads during that conflict, which seemed dubious at first as quads are twice as expensive as galleys and only match their attacking strength with a GA while being way more fragile and having just 1 range anyways. But, imagine if one side in a Renaissance war could upgrade 10 Line of Battle frigates while the other is stuck with fresh ones. No...imagine if instead of fighting the other teams in the Classical Era, someone in this game had farmed barbs or city-state units with quads to get to LoB and then mass-upgraded those eek

Especially for Norway, I think that civ's ability to slug it out with galleys early and retreat to the ocean to save injured ships means its real UU might be not the longship but the t120 Embolon caravel that can pillage. Or at least, it certainly felt like that in this game...

I like to get some promotions on barbs early in the game for this reason. 

I also like victor more and more especially if faith buying units. Terracotta army was a good move from your team.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

I cannot believe I dared refer to his third promotion as "double-shot Victor" instead of "OMFG free LoB on all my quads?? Victor" for almost the entirety of this game. Cuneiform was capable of one-turning quads for ages and they could ALL have become LoB frigates, or I could have split them down the middle and turned them ALL into LoB + Bombardment frigate fleets without ever firing a shot. 3 promotions in Victor should be the standard after Pingala x3 and Magnus x2, and I can't wait to see a game in which someone blows off Magnus or science Pingala completely to get Victor 3 at a crazily-early date...

Black Marketeer on Magnus is another great niter-saving move too as Woden demonstrated this game. So the true "optimal frigate spam" configuration is one Magnus city pumping frigates, one Victor city pumping quads, and upgrading all the quads in Retinues to get 4-niter frigates as fast as you can hard-build them and 10-niter promoted frigates thereafter. Then probably promote every single quad with LoB and merge all the blank frigates with LoB ones and go murder your neighbor's fleet. Wow.

(January 21st, 2022, 06:45)ljubljana Wrote: I cannot believe I dared refer to his third promotion as "double-shot Victor" instead of "OMFG free LoB on all my quads?? Victor" for almost the entirety of this game. Cuneiform was one-turning quads for ages in this game and they could ALL have become LoB frigates, or I could have split them down the middle and turned them ALL into LoB + Bombardment frigate fleets without ever firing a shot. 3 promotions in Victor should be the standard after Pingala x3 and Magnus x2, and I can't wait to see a game in which someone blows off Magnus or science Pingala completely to get Victor 3 at a crazily-early date...

I do magnus les and less these days. Used to be my number 1 long ago. 

still like pingala first.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

It's a little late ("a little" lol) but I think I missed something fairly major in the naval engagements here, especially Diomede - the power of embarked land units. They don't provide flanking bonuses but they do provide support bonuses to melee ships on defense, so a front-line caravel surrounded by four caravel + scout pairs receives a total of +16 CS from support compared to the maximum +2 flanking the attacker can get in return. Moreover, the scouts would also clog the opponent's attack lanes even after the defensive melee ship screens are broken, limiting the tactical options of an offensive first-striker and buying precious extra time to get in a frigate counterpunch.

Imagine if, instead of wasting time on districts and builders and so forth, I had used the otherwise-useless landlocked Demotic to 2-turn scouts for, say, 50 turns starting on t110, then parked them all on the same tiles as my melee ship screen on the turn I invited williams' first strike at Diomede. Would that have made a difference? Hard to say, but given how tile-limited the attack vector was for williams, I think this addition plus not merging my frontline caravels might have bought us the 1 or 2 turns needed for your ICs to engage as we originally planned. I guess we'll never know for sure, but food for thought moving forwards.

I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

I'd be up for another naval PBEM in the nearish future, but we'll need to houserule some things probably, and I'd like to spice up the map somehow.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

Hmm, it took me a while to get un-burned out enough to seriously contemplate committing to another one of these games. But I guess I'm seriously contemplating it now.

We only get so many chances in this life to get our teeth kicked in by thrawn and CMF, after all :D

Just like old times <3

Are you looking at another teamer like this or something different? And what sort of turn pace?
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Personally, I'm flexible on both of those questions. So...if there exist answers to them that would make you (or anyone else who might be lurking!) want to play, please feel free to say so smile

Not going to lie, I would be tempted of a game of civ 6 if I could play opposite someone who had a clue. And if we were aiming for a full turn every 2 days ie one partner plays Monday and reports, second partner plays Tuesday and reports. I could probably manage that sort of turn pace but we would still have the "turn a day" engagement.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18