As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

PB58 Tech Thread

I would like to play another game and was wondering if there is enough interest for one.

Fixed settings:

- Balanced map
- Torodial
- Monarch
- normal game speed
- unrestricted leaders
- Standard size

- ancient start
- no advanced start
- no tribal huts
- no random events
- no Barbarians

- no diplomacy
- no map trading
- no tech trading
- no city gifting
- no unit gifting

- PB simultaneous
- snake pick

Player list:
  • Serdoa - Victoria (FIN/IMP) / Ethiopia (Oromo Warrior [Musketman] / Stele [Monument])
  • Tarkeel - Roosevelt (IND/ORG) / Khmer (Ballista Elephant [War Elephant] / Baray [Aqueduct])
  • superdeath - Sury (EXP/CRE) / Mongolia (Keshik [Horse Archer] / Ger [Stable])
  • Ruff_Hi - Catherine (CRE/IMP) / India (Fast Worker [Worker] / Mausoleum [Jail])
  • Jowy - Julius Caesar (ORG/IMP) / Aztec (Jaguar [Swordsman] / Sacrificial Altar [Courthouse])
  • Automated Teller - Willem (FIN/CRE) / Rome (Praetorian [Swordsman] / Forum [Market])
Mapmaker:

pindicator (Thank you!)

I plan to do another major release of CtH with the new year. Should you want to start sooner I will assemble a new smaller release with a few, but necessary gameplay changes. Those gameplay changes will be:
  • Circumnavigation requires Optics
  • You no longer will be informed that others circumnavigated the globe (basically circumnavigation becomes a somewhat national wonder)
  • Overflow will no longer be converted into gold if it exceeds the limit. This was an unwanted change from BUG that I didn't notice at first.
  • Free wins vs barbs with a settler will be replaced by barbs not attacking, if a settler and military unit is present in the same tile
  • Barbs never raze a city (this also prevents auto-raze, when you re-capture a city from the barbs)
Also included will be some more bugfixes.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

(November 25th, 2020, 15:15)Charriu Wrote: [*]Overflow will no longer be converted into gold if it exceeds the limit. This was an unwanted change from BUG that I didn't notice at first.

Why is this an unwanted change? I believe it worked like this in BTS 3.17 then was accidentally broken in BTS 3.19 and then there was never a subsequent patch to fix it. I think it is a bug fix and should be retained.

(November 25th, 2020, 15:35)NobleHelium Wrote:
(November 25th, 2020, 15:15)Charriu Wrote: [*]Overflow will no longer be converted into gold if it exceeds the limit. This was an unwanted change from BUG that I didn't notice at first.
[*]
Why is this an unwanted change?  I believe it worked like this in BTS 3.17 then was accidentally broken in BTS 3.19 and then there was never a subsequent patch to fix it.  I think it is a bug fix and should be retained.

IMHO it allows you to technically build Wealth before discovering the tech for it.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

I'm interested, although I'll probably end up being fodder for someone bigger.

(November 25th, 2020, 14:51)Serdoa Wrote: - Balanced map / Mirrored map / Known world (map fully revealed to everyone before picks)
No map trading / map trading
- Prince / Monarch / Emperor / Immortal/ Deity (?)
- Barbarians / No Barbarians / No Barbarian Cities/Ships
- Cylindrical / Torodial (no change in maintenance in CtH, just a decision if there are "safe" spots or if attacks can come from everywhere)
- PB simultaneous / PB sequential / PBEM / PB simultaneous for the first 40 turns (given there are no wars) then change to sequential 
I like exploration, but it would be interesting to play with revealed map.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

(November 25th, 2020, 15:39)Tarkeel Wrote:
[*]
Why is this an unwanted change?  I believe it worked like this in BTS 3.17 then was accidentally broken in BTS 3.19 and then there was never a subsequent patch to fix it.  I think it is a bug fix and should be retained.
[*]
IMHO it allows you to technically build Wealth before discovering the tech for it.

Sure, but that's part of the BTS design. We can choose to change it, but it would be changing the base design.

The BTS 3.19 patch notes refer specifically to overflow gold - it is an intended mechanism.

Whether they intended it or not, the game I've played for the last number of years never gave me gold for overflow. So personally I think it fits the 'Close to Home' goal of the mod better to keep gold overflow out of the game.

(November 25th, 2020, 15:48)NobleHelium Wrote:
(November 25th, 2020, 15:39)Tarkeel Wrote:
[*]
[*]
[*]
Sure, but that's part of the BTS design.  We can choose to change it, but it would be changing the base design.

The BTS 3.19 patch notes refer specifically to overflow gold - it is an intended mechanism.

It's an unwanted change, because I did not intend to make this change in the beginning. I based my mod on 3.19. That does not mean that we can not talk about it and change it, of course. The way I saw it is that this overflow gold was removed intentionally.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

As I see it they intended to nerf it by removing conditional bonuses - as indicated in the patch notes - but leave it in generally. I am in favor of changing it to what they intended as indicated in the patch notes.

My general opinion of Civ4 is that the team behind it had a ridiculously good understanding of how their game worked - far more than the average game developer - and we should leave underlying systems as they intended for the most part because of this.

(November 25th, 2020, 16:11)Charriu Wrote: It's an unwanted change, because I did not intend to make this change in this beginning. I based my mod on 3.19. That does not mean that we can not talk about it and change it, of course. The way I saw it is that this overflow gold was removed intentionally.

And I'm all for you guys talking about it - in the mod thread, not in the game-setup thread. With all due respect for our mod-overlord and also with all due respect for our nag-overlord lol