As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

(June 27th, 2014, 06:41)Lord Parkin Wrote: Well, given that the game's already been paused for a while, we may as well wait a little longer for Caledorn. The turn flip will be pushed ahead several hours by now whether there's a reload or not, which puts it at a less convenient time for me. Due to the nature of my role, we'll likely end up pausing until the turn flip gets back to a time where I can play as soon as there's another unfinished turn to play (in all probability no more than 1-2 turns in the future).

So at this point the game is probably delayed by about a day whether there's a reload or not. My suggestion is to wait for up to ~24 hours from the timestamp of GermanJojo's post for Caledorn to respond. (Hopefully it'll be much shorter than that.) If Caledorn hasn't turned up by then, you should probably consider unpausing and continuing to play. If you wait much longer than that, you'll effectively end up delaying the game another day or so in order for the turn flip to roll around to a convenient time for me again.

I think this is very reasonable, we want to keep the turns rolling around the same time (give or take 10 seconds or so...) beacause that seems to be helping turn pace greatly.

(June 27th, 2014, 06:41)Lord Parkin Wrote:

In future, I'd advise all players to make do with all but the most serious blunders they make. (Serious in my view = on par with losing a city due to a misclick.) We all know it's annoying as hell when screw-ups occur, but these things happen to most players from time to time. In a game with this many players it's simply not feasible to grant reloads for anything other than the most serious mismoves. Consider that if each player asks for a reload for 1 turn in 200 - just once or twice in the whole game - with 34 players that still means we're reloading on average every 5-6 turns (subtracting at least 1 turn every week). Even just asking about whether a reload is possible in the public thread is often enough to delay the game by a whole day.

Suggestion: if you're really annoyed about a non-critical (non-city losing) mismove, privately message the host to see if he's online. If he is, your move may well be reloaded instantly with no fuss and bother; if he isn't, you can bear with it and make the best of the situation. This avoids the mass confusion and disarray following a public request, which has the bonus of not losing 30+ people a day of playing time for a non-critical (non-city losing) reload request.

Remember that in such a huge game with deliberately swingy "fun" options (like continents, huts and events), geography will be more likely to dictate eventual victory than good play. So misclicks are vastly less important than in a regular game anyway. smile

I'm also good with this plan. But one thing concerns me. What are these "continents" you mention? You mean to tell me that everyone is not settled on a nine tile island ringed with eight peaks tiles?? huh

(June 27th, 2014, 07:29)WilliamLP Wrote: ...And whatever you say about the last couple of weeks, the turns sure roll on time!

Also, thanks Zanth for stepping in! I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be pretty sad if this game just fell apart completely.

Let's get the turn roll variance down to five seconds!!!! whipwhipwhipwhip And, thank you, Zanth, for helping out. nod

Looks like Caledorn reloaded. Plako (and MYKI if he played earlier) need to replay their turns. 17 hours left on the timer.

I think Lord Parkin's suggested policy is great.
I have to run.

Game reloaded yes. Please use the pause button to ensure that the turn rolls on the proper time. smile
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

(June 27th, 2014, 08:56)Caledorn Wrote: Game reloaded yes. Please use the pause button to ensure that the turn rolls on the proper time. smile

Better yet, everyone play the current turn (and end turn) so that the last player can roll the turn at 23:56:51. cool

But I think it is very likely that we don't get this turn finished today and we pause a while to get it to roll around the right time. Prove me wrong! neenerneener

Sorry for the trouble, everyone. If it ever happens again I agree I just have to live with it.

Well, I logged in first time. But could you explain would there be reload?
Please visit my game: AlaePB1 | PitBoss 17

(June 27th, 2014, 11:34)zanth Wrote: Well, I logged in first time. But could you explain would there be reload?

There has been a reload, but it didn't affect you. There won't be a new reload any time soon, hopefully.
I have to run.

Joey, was logged in while you were connecting, and I got a warning that you might have had some version inconsistencies. Not sure if that's a thing to worry about or not.

Completed: PB 28, PBEM 55, PB 18, PBEM 60, some other stuff, PB 2

Might be because of the work around necessary because of the STEAMworks fiasco, but there are other work arounds now...if you have the discs, anyway.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Yeah, its because of the steam fiasco thing. That's also why I login twice every time I connect; the first time it tells me, after I've already downloaded the save game data, that I need to reload the mod (which is already loaded), and only then does it let me connect. I'm aware there's a "beta" version of steam I could install that should work like before, but I'm afraid of that because I also have a steamworks game I'm playing with some friends now...