As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] scooter, pindicator, and Huayna Capac try some fast Zulu cuisine

I see I forgot to add my /sarcasm tag after "However shall we manage?" lol

Considering odds are quite good for a coastal start in Big & Small maps, I think we should be able to get some kind of economy going even if our initial land is crappy. Trying to think of a PB5 start I would feel is awful with our combination. The only answer I can come up with is "any start next to Krill" and since he's not in this game, I think we'll be okay shades
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Gut reactions. These are not seriously thought-out.

1) We got a good combination. Obvious statement is obvious.

2) There's only one other FIN in the game - Nakoratan's Mansa of India. Speaking of, that's pretty clearly the best combo here.

3) Something that sucks - there are FOUR other IND players - Plako, Lewwyn, Merohoc, and Serdoa. So IND gets a bit of a nerf for us. That's ok, it just means we'll have to be choosy.

4) On one hand, NTT does mean we've got a nice roll being the only FIN. That tech lead won't evaporate quite as bad as it would in PB5. On the other hand, the workshop economy is just so silly strong here that we'll still end up running a hybrid in the modern age I imagine. We also don't get the FIN bonus until a bit later on rivers. The built-in mechanisms for catching up via tech too also diminishes the value of pulling away in tech. So land is still power here, and we don't really have expansion traits at all. So we still have work to do, but I'm happy regardless.

5) Hunting/Agriculture is really solid without a scout start to worry about. Hunting is better in the mod.

6) I view the scariest competitors to be Commodore, Plako, Lewwyn, and Serdoa. Out of those 4, I like our combination a bit better than all of theirs. That's nice. Also, please don't let us start next to Commodore and/or Lewwyn. They are not totally sane people when it comes to civ aggression. lol

You never get the Fin bonus on rivers.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(October 26th, 2012, 19:00)Krill Wrote: You never get the Fin bonus on rivers.

Ah yeah, thinking one thing and writing the other.

(October 26th, 2012, 19:01)scooter Wrote:
(October 26th, 2012, 19:00)Krill Wrote: You never get the Fin bonus on rivers.

Ah yeah, thinking one thing and writing the other.

In a way, being FIN makes every tile a delayed- river tile.
As for WS vs Cottage economy, i would really like to see how FIN cottages compete. If mfg becomes the same uber-alls strat that it appeared to be in PB5 then we aim for Democracy and swap to UnivSuff. But i dont think we need to go ws crazy to compete; at least, i hope not.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Yeah I agree. I think we can evaluate it when we're further into the game. NTT does help with playing the economic game.

My quick thoughts on the leader/civ rolls:

* Commodore gets enhanced War Eles as his UU? Please let him start as far away from us as possible
* Similarly the RNG has an odd sense of humor giving Brick aggressive berserkers to play with
* I forgot how Arabia's UU/UB were buffed, but it turns out they werent... that probably means Merovech & Ad hoc got the worst combo of the group
* Sure are a lot of maritime civs... Dutch, Portugal, & Vikings, oh my
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Yeah, Ballistaphants are still str8, so that's possibly the best military UU here except maaaaybe Rome. Let's hope he doesn't have ivory. At least we'll have Impis

(October 26th, 2012, 18:20)regoarrarr Wrote: Just means you're going to have plains cow and tundra furs for your start

Plains cow on a Commodore map is prime real estimate. I'm going to say you'll get a grass sheep instead.

Yeah, I'll lurk you guys.

Edit: Oh wait Commodore is playing. Whoops. Maybe you will get a plains cow then!

(October 26th, 2012, 20:25)NobleHelium Wrote:
(October 26th, 2012, 18:20)regoarrarr Wrote: Just means you're going to have plains cow and tundra furs for your start

Plains cow on a Commodore map is prime real estimate. I'm going to say you'll get a grass sheep instead.

Yeah, I'll lurk you guys.

Er, you know Commodore is like.... playing in this game right?