As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 13 Settings Discussion

Hey, BRick, what's the size of the map and world wrap, just so we can make a proper sim? I guess there's no problem in revealing this info.

Well since when I told about map type I pretty much stated it before, so no harm in repeating: Map size Huge, World wrap Cylindrical.

The map size is huge, but you should sim for Large, IIUC.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

Oh, okay, I forgot it was mentioned that even if a huge map was used, to set the actual map size to large so that tech rates and start speeds go a little bit faster. When that was brought up it seemed like a decent idea and I didn't see a post of someone objecting, so I think I'll plan to do that, let me know if that will be an issue.

And to keep maintenance costs up. I think it's a good and important idea.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

(July 19th, 2013, 02:18)plako Wrote: Concerning the concession system. I'd like a system that would keep the game rolling as long as there are more than 2 players that want to continue and have reasonable chances to win. I'm afraid that if SevenSpirits system would be in use, teams without hope would probably end up voting "End the game" very early, leading to premature ending of the game.

Maybe something like this could work:
* Voting system like Sevenspirits suggested (It is ok for players in desparate situation to actiavate "end the game" vote whenever they like)
* When 2/3 of the living players have "end the game" vote on admin does this every 10th turn.
- If 3 of the players that want to continue have realistic shot (over 10% chance) at winning game always continues
- If 2 or less of the players that want to continue have a realistic shot it becomes a judgment call of the admin. He asks himself if the game is worth continuing based on the game atmospehere. If not - winner is declared based on the methods Sevenspirits suggested.

(July 19th, 2013, 08:17)BRickAstley Wrote: I like plakos suggestion, the only thing is if a lot of players want to stop a la pb8 and the game isn't about to be called, it might be nice to allow some sort of retire to AI/replacement play option.

Of course, it can also be said that by signing up for this, you do have a responsibility to carry out your turns when you're still in the game even if you don't feel it's worth it, because that's what you would expect others to do for you if you were in a potential to win position, which is also a valid view.

ok, I guess Plako said the same thing as me, only worded better.

I think a "don't be a jerk" rule we have on double moves would be fine here too.
That means don't ask publicly, which is a form of diplomacy, so the vote "concede" or "don't condede" in your thread is fine.

It could also mean don't be stubborn and continue on when your civ is irrelevant, but I don't know why anyone is worried about this, we have never had that happen in the past.

I would never want a civ that is losing and wants to concede (and is not having fun) be forced to keep playing. My objection was to the idea that a winning civ could stop playing and be declared the winner, if he is still being challenged.

And I also don't want to set the precedent that players in the game can decide any civ has lost and force to concede. But I don't particularly mind giving that power to a neutral admin.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

(July 19th, 2013, 12:53)BRickAstley Wrote: Oh, okay, I forgot it was mentioned that even if a huge map was used, to set the actual map size to large so that tech rates and start speeds go a little bit faster. When that was brought up it seemed like a decent idea and I didn't see a post of someone objecting, so I think I'll plan to do that, let me know if that will be an issue.

Can someone explain how to do this? If I generate a huge map for dimensions, can I then edit the map size in World Builder somehow to get the right XML constants and such? Or can I not easily replicate this and I should just generate a large map for sandboxing?

You can edit the worldbuildersave, it's right after all the civs are listed, and before the tiles are listed.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Thanks, I found it.

So going from the thread in Civ general...if we removed the worst events of barbarian uprisings, slave revolts, and tsunamis...would any "events off" people be interested in changing?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.