Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Fintourist and Old Harry have nothing to see here

Ok, I've read a bit about the culture bomb mechanics online: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy...hanics.php

Based on this I'm almost certain we can get the tile 1W of Ur with an artist-bomb, allowing us to pass our troops through to threaten (but not attack) Kish, Lagash, and plainfood the turn we take Ur. I don't know if we can get the the tile 1S of Ur, which would let us attack Lagash the turn we take Ur, and plainfood as well with a Great General. For this to work, though, Lagash has to not have 60% culture (4th-ring) borders, or if it does we have to put the Great Artist only one tile from Ur the turn before attacking, or else it can't get into the city to bomb it due to enemy culture. I would really like to know how much culture Lagash has; is a spy available to check in the next two turns?

Let it be said I think we should be attacking and forking Ur and Eridu no matter what, and that the Great Artist should in any case stand by in case we want to use him. If we have enough healthy knights after taking Ur, I think bombing it to secure even just the tile immediately 1E would be valuable, to allow us to pass them through and attack the capital the turn after (and if we lucked out and got the tile 1S of the city as well, that would be even better, as it might allow us to snag Lagash and maybe even the capital without warning too). If we only had a couple unused knights after taking Ur, we would have to evaluate how weak we thought mackoti's defences were at that point and probably hold off on the Artist, perhaps for just a turn or two (for all our knights to have movement available/for our knights to heal a turn as well), or indefinitely. But we should have the Artist available in any case anyway - we can always decide not to use him, but we can't decide to use him if he's not around! And the stakes (mackoti's capital) are high enough to have him around.

Anyway, I've rambled long enough. I'll just end by mentioning how I came to the above conclusions - according to that article we'll have (I believe) 1120 plot-culture on the tiles in Ur's first ring after using the bomb, which is the same amount Ur would have in that tile after possessing second-ring borders for 56 turns. Considering Ur still only has second-ring borders, and that mackoti only took it about 50 turns ago (and thus reached second-ring borders some time after that), it seems to me relatively assured we would get it (and if not, artist-bombs are a useless game-mechanic). If Lagash has 60% culture, it will have added plot culture to that tile for several turns as well, and decrease the chance of it flipping accordingly (not chance, that implies randomness ...). So I'd really like to know what its culture-level is at. Again, can the spy in suttree's territory reach the city centre within two turns?

Anyway, for me the price of peace is not indefensible Barcelona and gold that will be quickly spent, with no diminution of mack's economic capabilities, but Eridu and Ur, which I believe we stand a very strong chance of taking, and with an artist-bomb and an attempt on his capital in our back-pocket if things go well from there. I'll reiterate I think this is *the* risk we've been intending to take all game; this is our best and probably only chance to do mackoti irreparable harm, which is in the end the sole and only path to possible victory in this game. He will win, at least in our area of the world, by default if we don't. Let us put our boots in the stirrup, I say, and decide this game - at least the fate of our continent - while we still have the power to do so.

Culture bomb mechanics changed in BtS.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Thank you, do you have a link (even to an RB post)?

Nope.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Ok, dang; I can't find it anywhere on the internet - other than apparently it was a nerf, not an upgrade. So basically, guys, we have no idea what we're doing with a potential artist bomb.

I just set up some cities with a little culture and let them run for 50 turns then captured one and artist bombed it:

Is this what you're hoping for? It's pretty dependent on how long Plainsfood has had 500 culture for I think. I'm not so keen on the idea, partly because it doesn't look like it gets us enough cover and partly because it took five dead knights to get through a pike and two Jans in Ur, and I think Mack will have more than that...

I like the Eridu-Ur fork though, I wonder what we'll discover...

Actually, that is exactly what I was hoping for. The highlighted tile I don't need. What I need is the fork tile (the grassland hill between Eridu and Ur) cleared and one of the tiles between it and Ur. In the above shot, if you take Eridu, both conditions will be true. This will allow our units to proceed through to the worked flood plains visible in the shot above and fork plainfood and Lagash the same turn Eridu and Ur fall.

Actually, I'm beginning to wonder if the bomb is even necessary. If Lagash has only 40% culture - which has been the plan's assumption all along - capturing Ur and capturing or destroying Eridu should clear the grassland hill 1E of the fork tile, creating a clear path through to the aforementioned flood plains. (Though I am curious if that snaky little path over to Kish/Angkor Wat is reliable; that would let us hit it the same turn.)

The real problem as you point out is just how many knights we're going to have to use to take Ur and Eridu. Apparently the cost will be high, which may preclude pressing on from there altogether, or at least necessitate a delay. But that's okay. The primary objective is still simply to take Eridu and Ur; we can see where we can go from there.

So my suggestion is still to let the knights heal for a turn this coming turn, using a Great General medic so they get most of the way to full, then if things still look weak move to the fork tile and see about taking Eridu and Ur. We've got to lay the hurt on mack while we still can.

Logged in for a quick look before I go out, Mack sacrificed a galley and a caravel to kill one of our empty galleys and two triremes. He also killed our sentry chariot with a longbow - we get decent odds on the LB with an axe if anyone wants to get rid of some more ancient trash and get a better view (Fintourist).

The bad news is that the borders of Ur popped this turn. So that may scupper your plans THH. It also gives Mack another peak, allowing him to see another sneaky route I was thinking about trying for getting to his capital. banghead Any chance of some pics with arrows showing what you're describing, I'm finding it a bit hard to follow.

He's got two maces and two longbows in Get This so the six knights are out there somewhere along with the six cats. Given all of that I'm inclined to retreat our stack to heal for a turn and suggest peace for Barcelona. Or even attack Barcelona. I know you don't think it's defensible THH, but if an artist pops its borders to 60% on the turn of taking it, then we can seal off a no-mans land between us for some time to come and it again opens a two-front attack on Suttree. Who just roaded the tiles that would allow him to plonk his cat stack by Hastings...

We do need to resettle Peterloo as soon as we have peace though, and this time we'll pack it with muskets... smile

This had been my plan after realizing we didn't need the Artist after all:

Ur's borders expanding does stop us from plopping neatly onto the fork tile (I was wondering when that was going to happen ...). So I'm not sure what to do now. Dang, I don't want to lose this opportunity to shift the balance just a little bit between us and mack! But anyway, there it is, to make my previous thoughts more comprehensible.

Agreed about resettling Peterloo. And peace with mack with a guarantee of being able to take cities from suttree would be acceptable too. But there we're back to our same problem from before of how to trap and destroy his stack ...

That pdf doesn't load for me, so here it is as a png:

The best way to get to the fork tile is to resettle Peterloo. To that end, we have 50 hammers overflow in Konig this turn, which I was going to make a cat out of, but could go into a settler, then we whip it t167, then we resettle Peterloo t168 and plonk our knights and 2-mover mace on the fork tile. This allows us to hit Ur or Eridu on t169. By then Mack's great general will have arrived, and he'll have finished or upgraded a bunch of Jans. Is that too late?

I'm just going to sim what happens if six knights and six cats hit our stack if it heals in place next turn. Back in a bit.