Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Request regarding scandal of 800 children found buried in Magdalene home in Galway.

(June 4th, 2014, 10:54)Brian Shanahan Wrote: B) The societal issues were in place simply because of the power of the church. It was catholic "morality" that demanded that unmarried mothers were the "dregs of society" (as someone on a thread elsewhere described them to try and minimise the crimes committed), and had to be shut away from society for fear that they'd "infect the rest of us with their evil". This was church doctrine being implemented as state policy because the rcc had captured the arms of the state and perverted them to its own ends.

Here I have to disagree. The church had/has this power because the Irish people voted for politicians that held this views.

I don't take "The priests have said so" as an excuse for anyone. As the irish have given the church that much power they also share the guilt.
One hopes that this scandal and the investigations wakes people up.

@ASM
The RCC was not fond of slavery.
Jesuit

(June 5th, 2014, 04:20)Rowain Wrote: @ASM
Jesuit

I actually went on a school trip to the place shown in the first photo, São Miguel das Missões. We learn here that those things were good, the slavery part doesn't really get mentioned. They stick to the "poor indians were being shown the right way to live" speech.

Nice avatar (+1 charisma), Rowain. cool

(June 5th, 2014, 06:57)Ichabod Wrote:
Jesuit

I actually went on a school trip to the place shown in the first photo, São Miguel das Missões. We learn here that those things were good, the slavery part doesn't really get mentioned.

That's because the Jesuits were against slavery. Which was in the end one reason they got kicked out.

(June 5th, 2014, 08:10)Rowain Wrote:
(June 5th, 2014, 06:57)Ichabod Wrote:
Jesuit

I actually went on a school trip to the place shown in the first photo, São Miguel das Missões. We learn here that those things were good, the slavery part doesn't really get mentioned.

That's because the Jesuits were against slavery. Which was in the end one reason they got kicked out.

And I thought your post was ironic. lol

Guess my school wasn't that bad, than. smoke

(June 4th, 2014, 19:46)antisocialmunky Wrote:
(June 4th, 2014, 11:40)Krill Wrote: To call it systemic is true in the grossest possible extent. The RCC acted as a supranational human laundering syndicate across entire continents and practised slavery in at least 1 country.

1 Country?

I wasn't aware that South and Latin America were just 1 Country. But I guess its easy to forget about the Conquistadors converting the natives so they could work them to death in gold mines and agricultural estates to save their souls. I suppose the Church only condoned that to save the souls of the natives but still.

People using religion or any other reason (religion is just the lowest hanging fruit) like nationalism to rationalize away their own horribleness knows no bounds.

I hedged. I did not know that this occurred anywhere else (in the past 100 years) so I said "At least"; I am not surprised to hear that it has occurred elsewhere. That said I really am trying to stay away from the political discussion because it's RB.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

(June 5th, 2014, 08:26)Krill Wrote: That said I really am trying to stay away from the political discussion because it's RB.

bow

(June 5th, 2014, 10:38)sunrise089 Wrote:
(June 5th, 2014, 08:26)Krill Wrote: That said I really am trying to stay away from the political discussion because it's RB.

bow

Aww... I was going to make a betting pool about the over-under for the number of posts before Godwin's Law happens... frown

(June 5th, 2014, 04:19)Rowain Wrote: Here I have to disagree. The church had/has this power because the Irish people voted for politicians that held this views.

You really don't understand the kind of fear that the catholic church could put into people until quite recently. Up until well into the 1980's, if the local parish priest put a boycott on any merchant they would have been ruined within months, no supplier would treat with them, no customers would enter their shop(s), and they would get no help from anybody.

The church has had its claws deep in the education of over 90% of the population since at least the 1850's (still does actually, over 96% of Irish primary schools are run along a catholic ethos), and for most of that time they indoctrinated the vast majority of the population into their cultish system. It has only been since Bishop Eamonn Casey was found to have fathered a child with his housekeeper, and used funds from catholic charity Trocaire to keep her and their child, and later the child sex abuse scandel along with the continuing efforts by the church to hide the rapists and ensure they escape justice, that the country has finally begun to shake of the shackels imposed on all of us by the church.

It is amazing what a powerful, rich and above all immoral organisation can do when it puts its mind to it.

To reinforce my point, I'll post a link to this post (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost....tcount=851) in another topic. The poster is a respected historian, currently lecuring in University College Cork.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

(June 5th, 2014, 10:38)sunrise089 Wrote: bow

This worshiping smiley clearly means sunrise089 is defending the church.

Darrell