Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILER] Krill rambles on

The really infuriating thing is that the resources force the capital to stay in place of the ivory is lost, and the fish can only be improved from a capital spot, 1N, 1W, or 1SW whilst the cow is also kept.

Even though the ivory is a 4 yield tile unimproved, it's not worth growing for after a work boat because the delay in improving the 6 yield cow costs 9 yield. And low and behold, the 4 yield ivory also cuts the knees out from the work boat start that pays for the slight delay to the worker with an earlier hooked food resource giving higher foodhammer yield into the worker. The ivory is like a kick in the teeth to the disadvantages of having to build that damned work boat. Not like you can go worker first and then grow whilst building hte work boat any more as it's a food hammer unit, and I can't grow to size 2 all that quickly off the 4 food cow.

So yeah, I'm salty as fuck right now.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

To be honest I'm tempted to settle the cow and warrior rush someone. 3 turn warriors whilst still making 2fpt. Use the scout to follow the coast and make sure I'm not sending them in a bad direction, but it's a toroidal map, people are everywhere.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

I'll tell you what, I'll ask the map review krew to pay special attention to your starting area and if they think it is unfair we will change it.

(August 18th, 2015, 16:34)Krill Wrote: To be honest I'm tempted to settle the cow and warrior rush someone. 3 turn warriors whilst still making 2fpt. Use the scout to follow the coast and make sure I'm not sending them in a bad direction, but it's a toroidal map, people are everywhere.

Er, did you want Circumnavigation to be on? Because a map of that size gives about 350 tiles per player, and if 55% of hte map is water than circumnavigation is on which is only 4400 water tiles (ie if there are less than 3600 land tiles then circumnavigation is on and I need to alter the mod...)

(August 18th, 2015, 16:50)GermanJoey Wrote:
(August 18th, 2015, 16:34)Krill Wrote: To be honest I'm tempted to settle the cow and warrior rush someone. 3 turn warriors whilst still making 2fpt. Use the scout to follow the coast and make sure I'm not sending them in a bad direction, but it's a toroidal map, people are everywhere.

It's using AGG at least.

Re: circumnav. That's a good question... hmmm. I'll bring it up with the lurkers.

Looking again at the start, worker at size 2 maybe more useful because the delay in growth to size 2 and the timing of the pasture don't sync up great. anyway, delaying the profit from improving the tile, so the loss is something like 3 yield which gets made up from working any tile at size 2 (the ivory just increases the "profit"). But growth to size 3 takes 4 turns, growth to size 4 takes 4 turns, growth to size 5 takes 4 turns...whipping for 1 pop adds in a bit of delay compared to other starts as this capital maxes out at 7 food surplus because of the tiles. So repeated whips aren't that great.

Second option:

Fishing eot T3> Hunting eot T6> BW eot T18> The Wheel eot T20> Pottery eot T26, work boat eot T4, grow @2 eot T9, worker eot T16, OF worker T17, then grow on warriors and build the worker to close to 59/60, Whip worker T26, OF a minimum of 36 hammers into Granary T27 plus 1 chop and get a granary with 2 workers. Grow to size 3 eot T29-ish. Settler due T36 with no additional chops. Use W1 to chop southern hill forest whilst mining.

Some micro would need tidying around how long to build the worker at size 2 before growing, because waiting until the cow is pastured allows growth in 3 turns with no spare food, growing earlier takes 4 turns, and how that affects later growth. But it gives 2 workers and solves the growth issue, but the commerce is damned close. Pottery needed by eot T26 at the latest.

I'm not that fond of a none PRO granary at T26/27 though. It's delaying a settler, it's sucking up hammers, admittedly I have a few from that cow. But just regrowing to size 4 and double whipping, it's a bit bad, yet the regrowth to size 5 takes about 6 turns and then the city can put 18fhpt into settlers and workers. Size 6 takes another 2 turns to reach, and that's 5 turn settlers whilst keeping the cow. Depending on how it's played out, four cities by T50 is pretty much guaranteed, and it's not like the plan diverges until T18-ish anyway. So Right now it's the go to plan. This capital, if not over lapping and giving away food resources, really wants to grow to size 7 so it can float between food hammer and military units as needed, and size 7 gives 1fpt/21hpt. That needs 1 more happy source.

Things that would make me change course: Gold, gems, furs, double 6 yield food resources that are inner ring, copper.

One day I look forward to seeing a beautiful river valley with grasslands as far as the eye can see, with double wet corn and virgin forests, with hills in the distance to provide prosperous industry. But today is not that day. Today is the day I grab the CIV equivalent of Skegness and turn it into Imperial Rome. And people wonder why I'm aggressive.