As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Steam Civ4 Update

There are reports that save games are broken. Is anyone with a steam version able to open old saves to confirm this issue?
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Backup your saves before opening them in case they get updated to only be useable by the latest if you try.
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

(June 6th, 2014, 05:09)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Thanks for posting the instructions.

In case anyone has trouble with the zip file, which program did you use to zip it? Whatever you used, 7zip usually works fine for extracting almost any kind of zip file but you never know.

I think I still have a small project ahead to smooth out this update. After so many years with one set of game font I can't handle the change to another type. lol I'm not sure if any other minor cosmetic changes will need to be undone yet, I'll have to go to my online backup service to check for more differences beyond what I saw quickly last night. Thanks to everyone who has helped work around the patch issues. thumbsup

I used winrar but encoded it as a simple zip, any compression software, including Windows' built-in, should be able to read it.

I received a response to a support request I filed, which was substantially similar to Parkin's e-mail, made on the 2K Support page which announced the DirectIP change. Here it is:
Quote:Cory W., Jun 06 12:37:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Technical Support.

Creativity is the lifeblood of this industry. Without it, no great games would ever be made, nor would great games become greater. We deeply enjoy receiving feedback, suggestions, and game ideas from our fans. Unfortunately, no information on that topic is available at this time but your suggestion has been taken into consideration. Thank you for your idea and sharing your passion.

Best Regards,
Cory W.

duh

I just sent in the same email. I think there have been over 800 support tickets filed in the past 24 hours if the URL for the two tickets increases sequentially for each ticket

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Boilerplate nonsense, that will likely never by read by a human. shakehead

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Well it beats the response I got. lol I sent in a similar complaint and received:

Quote:Hi Sean,

Thank you for contacting 2K technical support,

I understand that you are contacting us regarding your inability to play certain types of multiplayer games with your copy of Civilization IV. In order for us to look into a possible grant for a Steam key, please provide us with the following information:

A photo of the physical disc and box accompanied by your email address written on a piece of paper in the photo.
We will review your request and establish eligibility based on your submission. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

Sincerely,
Vincent S.
2K Games Support

Man, I dunno, this clearly isn't going to fix the problem but I'm just really fucking pissed so I sent back:

Quote:It looks like you didn't actually read my message, Vincent. I have the steam version - that is the issue. If you could send me a NON-steam version of the game patched to BTS 3.19, that would solve my issue. Let me know if I need to provide any further proof that I own the game on steam.

Sean

I got the same reply from the same person...time to see what happens if I give them the same picture of discs I sent in yesterday...and no it,s not fraud as I actually have 2 copies of the game tongue

Well, I didn't get a response at all yet from 2K. Not sure if that's good news or bad news - they're either considering it carefully or ignoring it.

I did get a quick response from Soren Johnson to a different email though.

Quote:Hi,

Sorry to hear the news... Pitboss was always close to my heart. Firaxis does read the forums (are there official 2K ones for Civ4?), so I would recommend trying to drum up support there.

best,
Soren
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

I tried using German Jojo's workaround and now my game won't launch at all frown Help? My PC thinks for a while after I try to run the exe, but nothing happens.