As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

The Seven Samurai- A Most Honorable Competitive SG

Ichabod Wrote:And here's a köan for us to ponder about while getting started:

How can you practice swordsmanship (kenjutsu) without a sword?

With a stick, of course.

Brian Shanahan Wrote:By reading the manuals.

The manuals are in japanese. You can't read them.

NobleHelium Wrote:With a stick, of course.

Thestick can practice with himself, but what about the others?

You are far from illumination, my disciples. You should start by getting a new Zen Buddhism teacher. lol

I have seen movies, you practise with an oversized calligraphy brush dont you?

Ichabod Wrote:The manuals are in japanese. You can't read them.

You're just assuming here. Just because your assumption is right doesn't make it valid.

Anyways I can get someone to translate for me.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

Swords without iron
Ever seeking opponent
Strike without mercy

To be one with the sword
(is) To be your own stroke
Where are you aiming?

[Image: mifune.jpg]

Most excellent.

A few more things to resolve before I ask T-hawk to move this to the SG forum & we finally get the game rolling:

* Is there anyone willing to roll up an interesting and fun Pangaea-type map for us? You'll need to set up the correct game options, check to make sure that we aren't surrounded by like a half-dozen very close AI at the very start (since we're fighting deities and don't want to get eliminated super-early), and give us our seven starting named Samurai, each with the Great General promotion. I can clarify any of the map details in PM or email. Alternatively, I could make the map and then slot myself last into the turn-order.

* I'm thinking that for each player's report, they're allowed to post some information in spoilers which no other player may read, so that they can freely talk about how they intend to end the game with the most points. Any objections?

* Since fighting deities means that we're probably going to get honorably wiped out sooner than later, I'm thinking that nobody can play more than 10 turns each round. I'm assuming this is okay with everyone? We could turn the difficulty level down, although I wouldn't go lower than Immortal since we *are* starting with an ally and seven powerful units. Plus getting inevitably wiped out is half the fun smile I'll change the difficulty if a majority of players wants requests it.

Just some thoughts:

How about Raging Barbarians? Give the samurai something to do early without running immediately into an ill-advised war.

Also, how about a rule that each samurai can only be promoted with consent of its owner? Otherwise you'll see everyone putting junk promos onto the other samurai which would be not so fun. After each turnset, list any samurai eligible for a promotion so its owner can choose. (Or else just say that only each samurai's owner can promote it, although then a samurai could go 60 turns with unused promotions.)

Finally, is upgrading the samurai allowed, if you happen to make it as far as riflemen?

Game speed? Epic might be appropriate to cycle around more turnsets. At 10 turns times 7 players, you'll only get about four or five rotations on normal speed.

You are asking a Samurai to back out from a challenge? Are you doubting my honor? I challenge you to a duel, Chillingsan!

Deity difficulty is a must! Like you've said, it's about dying.

Agree with the spoiler part too.

I think we should go with 7 turns sets. Or start with 10t and later make it less.

Bunch of good points from T-hawk-

T-hawk Wrote:Just some thoughts:

How about Raging Barbarians? Give the samurai something to do early without running immediately into an ill-advised war.

I'm not sure about Raging, mostly because I don't want to feed the AI so many promotions that their starting archers are invincible (although I suppose we'd pick up a bunch of promotions along the way too...), but we should def. at least have regular barbs on.

Quote:Also, how about a rule that each samurai can only be promoted with consent of its owner? Otherwise you'll see everyone putting junk promos onto the other samurai which would be not so fun. After each turnset, list any samurai eligible for a promotion so its owner can choose. (Or else just say that only each samurai's owner can promote it, although then a samurai could go 60 turns with unused promotions.)

We could do this- but I'm thinking that [Strike]screwing over[/Strike] helping your fellow Samurai by giving them "interesting" promotions is all part of how the game should be played wink

Quote:Finally, is upgrading the samurai allowed, if you happen to make it as far as riflemen?

Yup- see first post.

Quote:Game speed? Epic might be appropriate to cycle around more turnsets. At 10 turns times 7 players, you'll only get about four or five rotations on normal speed.

Good idea, I support Epic speed.

Ichabod Wrote:I challenge you to a duel, Chillingsan!

Little do you know that I have already changed my name to reflect the greatest samurai of them all!

Quote:I think we should go with 7 turns sets. Or start with 10t and later make it less.

Makes sense if we don't do Epic speed, but I'm thinking that just going Epic might be best. Open to suggestions here.

Btw, Square Leg will be making our map smile